StiK ftp works :)

Post by Boris D. Cah » Sun, 18 Feb 1996 04:00:00

HOW did you get it working? What was your magic key?
I downloaded it, and put it into my ST, unlzh'd it.
I translated the German README with ruftrade, and it had no
instructions. Soooo---, I simply changed the man
name mg-ftp<<_e.rsc to mg-ftp.rsc, as it appears to want,
and dialed up stik. Now STiK USUALLY works fine for me,
in CAB or Telnet mode. It still works fine in those modes.
BUT, when I loaded mg-ftp, I had problems.
1. I gave it the host name of my VAX at the laboratory.
That is  , I gave it a partial name. (the real name is
cwbdc.chem.cwru.edu. I gave it cwbdc.cwru.edu which
is a partial name, but my resolver decoded it properly.)
I then clicked on "OPEN", it gave me a dialog box, with places for
my login name and for my password, which I filled in properly.
It chugged away for a while, and I could see SD and RD lights
blinking. The dialog box went away, and I had GARBAGE on the screen.
Orderly garbage for sure, but garbage nonetheless.
I quit, and retried to open ftp.uni-giessen.de, but it came
back with an alert box, saying it couldn't resolve the address.
2.
I tried several more times, to access other ftp sites, but no luck!!
The last couple of times I tried to open my VAX, I couldn't
even get the garbage screen. It hung for minutes during the open sequence.
Until I finally gave up and rebooted.
3. Now I KNOW my VAX is working, and it can receive FTP from
my PC over the same fiber optic line at the Univ. I have never
tried FTP TO the VAX from off campus, but it can FTP out.
I know ftp.uni-giessen.de works and the campus resolver
understands it cause I have downloaded from it with LYNX and FTP
on the VAX.
4. I know the Univ slip line works fine cause I use it for
CAB often.
I just know there is going to be a lot of traffic in csas
for the next week or so, till this gets ironed out, but for now
HHHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!

Boris D. Cahan
CWRU