Using a Zip drive parallel or scsi with an Atari -ST

Using a Zip drive parallel or scsi with an Atari -ST

Post by peter outla » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Is possible to use a Zip drive with an AtariST?

Using a Zip drive parallel or scsi with an Atari -ST

Post by Paul Wom » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is possible to use a Zip drive with an AtariST?

SCSI ZIPs work fine with the ICD Link or similar adaptor, if it is
your only external device you will need an extra lead fortermination
power though, if you need more info just mail but forget the parallel
one.

__

      Paul Womar - Just your average Atari user on the verge of sanity.

Post by Andrew Ho » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is possible to use a Zip drive with an AtariST?

Yes it is :)

I have a 1040stfm with a ICD Link II Scsi interface. The SCSI Zip
drive is on the end of a SCSI Lead which goes to my hard disk.
You have to provide a +5v power supply to the Zip through one of the
SCSI connections. I think this is needed for the SCSI termination. I
took a +5V supply from my hard disk power supply using the lead
provided by Hisoft with the drive. (25 Way to 9 way).

The Zip drive works great and swapping disks isn't a problem - as long
as you relog them :)

 |                          \|/ ____ \|/      -     -                |

 |           (o -)          /_( \__/ )_\       (o o)                 |
 +-------oo0--(_)--0oo---------\--U-/------oo0--(_)--0oo-------------+

Post by Uwe Seime » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Is possible to use a Zip drive with an AtariST?

Yes, but only the SCSI version, not the parallel one. A host adapter
supporting parity is needed for the ZIP.
*           Uwe Seimet              | I really hate this damned
machine,  *
*                                   |     I wish that they would sell
it. *

mean      *

it.        *
*      WWW:
http://acp5.chemie.uni-kl.de/seimet/index.html                *

Post by Uwe Seime » Sat, 10 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> The Zip drive works great and swapping disks isn't a problem - as long
> as you relog them :)

What do you mean with "relogging"? Normally a hard disk driver
automatically
recognizes a media change when the drive is accessed after the media was
changed. The user doesn't have to care for it, the driver does all that
is
necessary.