40-folder bug

Post by Russell Kall » Sun, 01 Mar 1992 17:04:21

      Does the `40-folder bug' relate only to whether o enot 40
*different* folders are opened in a session, or just 40 *total*
folders?  IOW, if you only have 20 active folders, but open each
twice, can you still run into this bug?

      Also, does a (warm) `reset' clear the folder count, or only
a cold boot?

(My TOS is v. 1.02, "MEGA" TOS)

40-folder bug

Post by Mickey Bo » Mon, 02 Mar 1992 17:15:19

>      Does the `40-folder bug' relate only to whether o enot 40
>*different* folders are opened in a session, or just 40 *total*
>folders?  IOW, if you only have 20 active folders, but open each
>twice, can you still run into this bug?

I think you have to visit 40 different folders for the bug to show itself.

Of course, foldrxxx (or the ICD host adaptor software) cure this problem
once and for all.
--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Come to your senses professor

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

40-folder bug

Post by Gwyn Evans » Thu, 05 Mar 1992 21:40:03

Quote:(Mickey Boyd) writes:
>Of course, foldrxxx (or the ICD host adaptor software) cure this problem
>once and for all.

 Not 'once and for all'. Just puts it off by the number of folders that
xxx
represents. Ok, set it to 999 and you probably won't hit the limit but do
you
then have any memory left to run with...

 Why couldn't the foldrxxx patch have done something like print a message when
you got to the (new) limit, or even have someway of finding out just how many
folder slots have been used in a session?

Gwyn
--

|Company: DESISCo - Digital Equipment Service Industries Solutions Company Ltd|
|>> Above opinions are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of DEC <<|

40-folder bug

Post by Roger.Shepp.. » Sat, 07 Mar 1992 00:25:53

> (Mickey Boyd) writes:
> >Of course, foldrxxx (or the ICD host adaptor software) cure this problem
> >once and for all.
>  Not 'once and for all'. Just puts it off by the number of folders that
> xxx
> represents. Ok, set it to 999 and you probably won't hit the limit but do
> you
> then have any memory left to run with...

>  Why couldn't the foldrxxx patch have done something like print a message when
> you got to the (new) limit, or even have someway of finding out just how many
> folder slots have been used in a session?

> Gwyn
> --

> |Company: DESISCo - Digital Equipment Service Industries Solutions Company Ltd|
> |>> Above opinions are personal and do not necessarily reflect those of DEC <<|
> +=============================================================================+

This is what TOS 1.4 does, it gives a warning when you nead more memory
for folders, far better than chewing up lots of memory with folderfix...

--

***  85 Donovan Rd        *    *   GEnie.  R.SHEPPARD5               ***
***  Kapiti                        At least I don't Flicker,         ***

40-folder bug

Post by Kevin Donov » Sun, 08 Mar 1992 08:13:41

Quote:> Why couldn't the foldrxxx patch have done something like print a message whe-
>you got to the (new) limit, or even have someway of finding out just how many-
>folder slots have been used in a session?

There's a utility that comes with the Craft shell, called dirsleft, that tells-

you how many folder slots are left free.

Kev

40-folder bug

Post by mj.. » Sat, 07 Mar 1992 20:45:16

>(Mickey Boyd) writes:
>>Of course, foldrxxx (or the ICD host adaptor software) cure this problem
>>once and for all.
> Not 'once and for all'. Just puts it off by the number of folders that
>xxx represents. Ok, set it to 999 and you probably won't hit the limit but
>do you then have any memory left to run with...

> Why couldn't the foldrxxx patch have done something like print a message when
>you got to the (new) limit, or even have someway of finding out just how many
>folder slots have been used in a session?

Because it isn't an "active" program. It simply adds memory to the OS pool
area, and then terminates, so that you run out memory later rather than
sooner.

The "fix" for this problem is to buy TOS 1.4 or better. Not only does it
manage the pool memory properly, but it also tells you when you've run out
(this is far harder to do under TOS 1.4)

>Gwyn

Mat

| Mathew Lodge              | "What do they call you, boy?" "Kate." "Isn't |

40-folder bug

Post by Michael Schwing » Wed, 11 Mar 1992 05:23:10

[...]
Quote:>There's a utility that comes with the Craft shell, called dirsleft, that tells-

>you how many folder slots are left free.

>Kev

The CBHDCONF accessory (which configures Claus Brod's harddisk driver) has this
function, too. However, it does only work in TOS versions below 1.4 since
TOS1.4 has completely new memory management routines - it (usually) does not
run out of internal memory ('folders') because it can free unused slots and due
to the new routines you cannot tell how much of the memory is actually used.
You can, however, add additional memory by using foldrxxx.prg - TOS1.4 will
usually ignore this, and when it runs out of memory, it will look if foldrxxx
installed extra memory and use this.
In most cases, you will not need foldrxxx when using TOS1.4 (and above),
provided you have POOLFIX in your auto folder. In case you need additional
memory, a value that is much lower than on TOS1.2/1.0 should be sufficient.
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, W-5100 Aachen, Germany   voice: 0241-876165

1. 40-Folder Bug not fixed

Is the INSTALL.PRG the one by Juerg Lohse (->the man who wrote the OSS/
CCD Compiler)? If so, I've had the program on the SH204 here for over a
month without any problems at all, I didn't want to mention this to the
net, because I'm not quite sure about the status (PD etc.) of the program,
I got it from the local shop without any comment.....

                               Simon Poole

PS If INSTALL.PRG is the program I'm thinking of I don't think ATARI
   has any rights to it at all.

2. Return To Zork Setup Help Needed

3. Grandson of the 40-folder bug

4. local termcap file?

5. 40-folder bug and FOLDRXXX.PRG

6. a newbie question - subtotals ?

7. Request for status of the 40-folder bug fix

8. Help with firewall rules

9. 40-Folder Bug

10. Malloc() in C and the 40-folder bug

11. 40-Folder Bug not fixed - (nf)

12. 40-Folder Bug not fixed!

13. Looking for "DIRLEFT.PRG" (40 folder bug etc.)