Stereoscopic Display for ST

Post by eki.. » Fri, 02 Feb 1990 10:20:00

The following is from an announcement for the sixth conference on 3D Display
Techniques sponsored by The Institute for Graphic Communication: REAL-TIME
STEREOSCOPIC VIDEO DISPLAY SYSTEMS, Bedford, Mass., March 22-24 1987.  Registrar
: Gail Montgomery, (617)267-9425.  I have no affiliation with the above, but
provide the following for general interest.

MASS MARKET APPLICATIONS FOR LCS 3-D USING THE ATARI 1040ST
Gary S. Yost - Antic Publishing, Inc.

Technical overview of the $150 field-sequential 3-D display
 -Liquid crystal (PI) cell
 -Cartridge interface for Atari 1040ST
 -Modular C language driver software
Under $100 3D applications currently in distribution
 -Computer Aided Design (CAD-3D)
 -Animation/Simulation
 -Molecular modeling and medical applications
 -Entertainment
Future 3D applications currently in development
 -Opthamology, stereopsis testing in elementary schools
 -Interplanetary flight mechanics
 -Remote vision
Consumer marketinig issues
 -Winning consumer acceptance of 3D technology
 -Advertising - Answering the questions:
  What is stereo?  Why do I need it?
 -Integrating 3D into current 2-1/2D software products
 -Educating consumer software developers
Transitions
 -Selling consumer products to professionals
 -What place does $150 LCS 3D and Atari's have in corporate America?

Gary S. Yost, Director of Product Development and Marketing, Antic Publishing,
Inc., San Francisco, California
     Mr. Yost founded the software division of Antic Publishing, Inc. in 1985,
and is the significant force behind the development of the STEREOTEK 3D display
system for Atari ST computers (in cooperation with Tektronix).  Before moving to
Antic in 1983, he was a Research Fellow with the Atari Institiute for
Educational Action Research.  In the past year, Mr. Yost has managed the
development of the first Computer Aided Design system that stereoscopically
renders 3D models in color (under $100), and the first stereoscopic molecular
modeling package aimed at the secondary education market towards marketing
high-performance 3D displays to over 150,000 Atari ST owners, and developing
special 3D markets for value added resellers.

Stereoscopic Display for ST

Post by o.. » Fri, 02 Feb 1990 01:31:00

[]

Quote:>MASS MARKET APPLICATIONS FOR LCS 3-D USING THE ATARI 1040ST
>Gary S. Yost - Antic Publishing, Inc.
>Gary S. Yost, Director of Product Development and Marketing, Antic Publishing,
>Inc., San Francisco, California
>     Mr. Yost founded the software division of Antic Publishing, Inc. in 1985,
>and is the significant force behind the development of the STEREOTEK 3D display
>system for Atari ST computers (in cooperation with Tektronix).  Before moving to
>Antic in 1983, he was a Research Fellow with the Atari Institiute for
>Educational Action Research.  In the past year, Mr. Yost has managed the
>development of the first Computer Aided Design system that stereoscopically
>renders 3D models in color (under $100), and the first stereoscopic molecular
>modeling package aimed at the secondary education market towards marketing
>high-performance 3D displays to over 150,000 Atari ST owners, and developing
>special 3D markets for value added resellers.

[small flame...]

Gee.. I know the guy who created the glasses for Tek for the ST, but does
anybody give him credit?  I'd like to be the first.
His name is Mark Kimball.  He first developed the hardware trying to use the
DMA port to control it but he ran into a few problems so he found a way to
"write" to the DMA port without having to modify the ST.  His first software
experimentation with it was drawing 3-d spheres in Forth on a mono monitor.
The nice thing about the monochrome on the ST is the refresh rate is about
72 Hz (as opposed to the usual 60 Hz) which made the images seem to flicker
less.  When Tek invested in color monitors, he picked up CAD 3-D and started
seeing if could make Tom Hudson's 3-D really 3-D.  Mark created a couple of
desk accessories that did the trick.  Mark started working with Tom in seeing
how the glasses could be worked into CAD 3-D.  So the resulting projects came
up with things like animations that instead of storing each frame in memory,
only the first frame is stored along with just the changes between frames so
it takes a LOT less space.  One of Tom's latest projects is ray tracing
(after he saw Zanth's "Shiny Bubbles") and his latest "masterpiece" combines
ray tracing, stereo glasses, and animation, and is called "Steely Boink".
This is a fantastic little 15x2 frame stereo animation that is a "room" that
is enclosed on each side with an 'animated' picture, with several 'mirrored'
spheres moving around reflecting everything.  This one you got to see to
believe! (I'm lucky because the store that I work at is one of Mark's
favorite hangouts).
Mark is now experimenting with adding more bit planes to the ST.  He mentioned
somthing like adding 4 more to low rez so you have 256 colors on the screen
at the same time.
I have just one flame against Antic.  Since they are the distibutor for the
StereoTek glasses they have done somthing rotten.  Even though they sell
the new CAD 3-D 2.0 and the StereoTek glasses to dealers, they are selling
the two together at a reduced rate but not selling the "sets" to dealers so
they can do the same.  So, the store I work at is now talking to LCS (Tek)
to buy the glasses directly to cut down the cost so CAD 3-D and the glasses
could be bundled together cheaper. (Things are looking promising)

- Russell Schwartz
  ...!tektronix!reed!omsi

P.S. Sorry for rambling on so long.

Post by l.. » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 11:14:00

> Gee.. I know the guy who created the glasses for Tek for the ST, but does
> anybody give him credit?  I'd like to be the first.
> His name is Mark Kimball.  He first developed the hardware trying to use the
> Mark is now experimenting with adding more bit planes to the ST.  He mentioned
> somthing like adding 4 more to low rez so you have 256 colors on the screen
> at the same time.

I have been toying with this idea for some time.  I wrote a little
program on the atari 800 to screen-flip different intensities to the
screen and so create images with 4 grey levels, with 320 * 192
resolution.  Worked okay, but definate flicker.

Is this what Mark is going to to??  I need (as usual, more than I have)
256 grey levels in a low rez screen for some work I want to do.  I
was planning on writing something to do this by comibing 2 16-level
pictures.  But if this has already been done, I am interested.  If
I can help, I would be happy to donate some time to getting this
thing up and running.

Warren

--
=-=-=-=-=-Warren Long at University of Saskatchewan, Canada-=-=-=-=-
Home: 78 Carleton Dr.,Saskatoon, Sasakatchewan, S7H 3N6

Stereoscopic Display for ST

Post by mag.. » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 17:29:00

[munch...]

Quote:>I have been toying with this idea for some time.  I wrote a little
>program on the atari 800 to screen-flip different intensities to the
>screen and so create images with 4 grey levels, with 320 * 192
>resolution.  Worked okay, but definate flicker.
[munch...]
>Warren

Ok, I like all these ideas so I would like to offer a few of my own
to add to the mix...

         With a very simple external bit of hardware [ or maybe software
by playing with the display chips sync mode to confuse them for the
correct ammount of time???] it would be possible to have 640*800 in high res
and 640*400 color high res.  Most monitors start the vertical sync sweep
down the screen right after the release of vertical sync without concern for
horizontal phase. If every other screen was delayed in the normal release of
vertical sync by 1/2 half horizontal sync then you could interlace both screens
just as normal TV does. On the mono-high-res this would work with much less
flicker then a normal TV with NTSC would. [70hz!].  [ The frame rate would be
twice as much ]. On color mode it would be the same with minor flicker , as
on normal tv with near horizontal fine detail]. Also every other screen would
have to display form two differing screen copies. [ New software drivers
required though]. Oh yes, now turn your monitor on it's side and use
as a full page display 800*640!?!

        Discarding the latter ideas of 800*640 we can do VERY fast scrolling
640*800 for full screen width displays. Here is how:
Lose some memory and ORG each scan line [ or group of them ] MOD 256.
Have the horizontal interrupt routine traverse a linked list so
scrolling is a simple matter of altering a pointer! Imagine what UNITERM could
do with this [ hint hint:) ].

        Last idea. I have made a $20 video digitizer by running my
cammera off the ST's sync and using the color high-res screen as
a trigger source for a sample hold connected to an A/D. Start in the upper
left hand corner and set/reset points top down and repeat left to right.
16 seconds later you have an image using the atari to replace most
of the counting hardware you would normally need to do this. The whole set up
works off the printer port and triggers off the red video output.
[ It's works just great I have been using it for half a year now].

        On using 5 1/4" drives don't forget to buffer the drive select
and side select signals with open collector drivers and pull-up's.
The drivers on the ST for those signals alone can not drive the termination
packs in standard 5 1/4" drives... I use TEAC 80 track drives at the noramal
ST step rate and they work just fine. I added a 37 pin D connector to the
ST520 case above where the RF modulator isn't :) I used the same pin out as
the 34 pin cable less 3 wires... [ I mention the drive type because not all
5 1/4" drives work at the fast rates so be careful... ]

Best Regards,

PS. I know some of ideas are simple and obvious to a few of you out there
but if they were not and anyone finds them useful remember me when your
rich :) Though I would make do with say a demo copy of course :) hint hint]

# Mike*
# Institute for Computer Research. ( watmath!mgvax!root - at home )
# These ideas/concepts do not imply views held by the University of Waterloo.

1. Stereoscopic display for ST

     Thanks to Russ Schwartz for elaborating on work done by Mark Kimball and
Tom Hudson on the stereoscopic display for the ST, and directing credit where
credit is due.  My original posting was copied directly from the conference
announcement, including the background info on Gary Yost.  I did not mean to
imply any endorsement of Mr. Yost, but merely forwarded the background
information on him as a conference topic presenter that was included in the
conference announcement.

2. Ethernet connection

3. ST Stereoscopic LCD glasses wanted.

4. Iris Crimson VGXT

5. 3D Stereoscopic pics on ST

6. Speed of loading Thumbnail view

7. Display List Interrupt on an ST?

8. Gain Momentum

9. ST emulator, hi res display

10. German mod to increase ST display size

11. Using ST for Karaoke display

12. Colors on the ST: Display more than 16???