Bombs on floppy media change

Post by Steven D Oura » Wed, 17 Mar 1993 04:06:41

I've been having a problem, and I've either become more aware of it lately
or it has been getting worse.

If I switch disks several times (it is most noticable when I am looking for
something on a disk and check several directories from the desktop), my
machine often bombs and resets while starting to read a new disk. It doesn't
happen just with certain disks or with certain programs. The only thing that
seems to be consistent is that it occurs after a few disk changes.

In case it matters, I use DC Formatter almost exclusively, in 10 sector,
80 track, double sided, skewed mode. I recently (but not very thoroughly)
cleaned my drive, that didn't seem to help. I haven't tried a head cleaning
disk or anything like that. I checked the drive speed, it's about 300 rpm.

If anyone can give me a hint about what's going on here, please do.

               Thanks,
             Steven Ourada

--
-------

"The State shall make no law with respect to the establishment of education"
  -- Illich

Bombs on floppy media change

Post by Domenico De Vitto [Spide » Wed, 17 Mar 1993 21:14:16

hmmm, if the serial numbers of the disks are the same, then that can easily
cause the machine to bomb (reading dir data from a exe file).
But I'm sure that the DCF does random serials but.......

Dom De Vitto

Bombs on floppy media change

Post by Jens Kili » Thu, 18 Mar 1993 03:04:55

I've had bombs on media changes for a long time, until I threw away a badly
written accessory of mine. I never found out the cause of the problem, but
I suspect

        - use of evnt_timer()
        - non-use of wind_update()

What accessories do you use ?

        Jens.

As the air to a bird, or the sea to a fish, so is contempt to the contemptible.

Bombs on floppy media change

Post by Steven D Oura » Sat, 20 Mar 1993 13:49:31

Problem found: it was the Ghost virus (as identified by AVK).
According to the description I read, it's supposed to invert the
mouse every once it a while, maybe it was not compatible with my
system and caused the bombs.

Can't these virus writers make thier viruses compatible with _all_
versions of TOS :-)

               Later,
             Steven Ourada

--
-------

"The State shall make no law with respect to the establishment of education"
  -- Illich

1. media change detection problems (was: Wanted: Chinon Floppy Drive Horror Stories)

Atari used to modify their built-in Chinon drives so that a media change
would be detected. A number of  external floppy drives from `third party
vendors` and, as it seems to me from the `Wanted: Chinon Floppy Drive Horror Stories` articles, some newer atari drives don't make that distinction.

One, rather boresome way to work around this problem is to change the state
of the write protect -thus forcing a media change.
Those who don't like the "disk out, toggle write protect, disk in,
disk out, toggle, disk in" method could do a little modification
to their drive. (or have their dealer do it)

It should be possible to use the eject button to simulate that change of the
write protect status by hardware.
I didn't try that yet, so I can't give you any specification on how to do the
job exactly, but it shouldn't put anyone with a minimum of hardware experience
to major problems.

-tatjana

--

Tatjana Heuser      |         ...!unido!tub!opal!pierrot (Europe)
D-1000 Berlin 30    |         ...!pyramid!tub!opal!pierrot (World)

2. CANPC '98 Advance Program

3. Floppy media-change fix

4. Toshibva Upgrade

5. Floppy disc media change detection

6. Cable & Wireless Won't Give Me Their Rates

7. floppy media change problem

8. Viscorp Deal and Timing

9. Forcing Media Change

10. disks formatted with DOS 5 and media change

11. Media Change Questions

12. Media change

13. MiNT 0.95 Problem with media change detect