[Q} Which CD-ROM allows reading Audio-CD's over SCSI?

[Q} Which CD-ROM allows reading Audio-CD's over SCSI?

Post by Jaap Henk Hoepm » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 17:10:14

I recently read somewhere that some CD-ROM players allow reading audio-CD data
digitally through the SCSI interface. I couldn't find an answer in the FAQ,
so maybe someone out here knows
- which CD-ROM players allow this (and also allow Photo-CD reading, and
        is dual -- maybe even quadruple -- speed).
- the drive should be external (and SCSI off course): or is there an easy way
        to install an internal, or even IDE, CD-ROM to a Falcon (can you
        convert IDE to SCSI?)
- which driver I need for this on my Falcon 4/65
- how much I should expect to pay for the drive...
I realize, quite a lot of questions. If you have answers to some of them, it
would help me lot.

Thanks in advance,

JaHe

--

CWI, P.O. Box 94079, 1090 GB  Amsterdam       | when even food was against us!"

[Q} Which CD-ROM allows reading Audio-CD's over SCSI?

Post by Art Twarec » Fri, 17 Mar 1995 01:44:02

Quote:>- the drive should be external (and SCSI off course): or is there an easy way
>    to install an internal, or even IDE, CD-ROM to a Falcon (can you
>    convert IDE to SCSI?)

There is an easy way to use internal devices with the Falcon, although you
cannot have them inside the Falcon.  I use a separate mini-tower case to
hold my SCSI devices--you can pack in whatever you wish: HD, CD-ROM, tape
backup, etc..  You only have 1 cable running to the tower case (SCSI cable),
and of course the tower case has an internal power supply for all devices.

--
Art

[Q} Which CD-ROM allows reading Audio-CD's over SCSI?

Post by Hendrik Myli » Mon, 20 Mar 1995 21:52:12

Quote:>- which CD-ROM players allow this (and also allow Photo-CD reading, and

The Toshiba drives will definetely do that. Works like a charm on my XM-3401

The newer ones, i.e. 5201, 3501, and 3601 should do that as well. The latter
being _very_ fast, some 600plus kb/sec transferrate.

Quote:>- the drive should be external (and SCSI off course): or is there an easy way
>    to install an internal, or even IDE, CD-ROM to a Falcon (can you

ATAPI-IDE should work on a Falcon, given the appropriate driver, that is.

Quote:>    convert IDE to SCSI?)

Why would one do that in the firstplace?

Quote:>- which driver I need for this on my Falcon 4/65

I use CD-Tools from Julian Reschke. Works great. Sold by Hard & Soft in
Germany. I am not aware of foreign distributors for this fine package.

Quote:>- how much I should expect to pay for the drive...

Take a look into the current comp-mags ...

*Ciao*

     /Hendr!K/

--
 Hendrik Mylius     |P|  WWW: http://www.teuto.de/personen/hendrik

Post by Kim Anders » Wed, 22 Mar 1995 04:05:12

HM> >- which CD-ROM players allow this (and also allow Photo-CD reading, and
HM>
HM> The Toshiba drives will definetely do that. Works like a charm on my XM-3401
HM>
HM> The newer ones, i.e. 5201, 3501, and 3601 should do that as well. The latter
HM> being _very_ fast, some 600plus kb/sec transferrate.

Most Cd drives are capable of reading/playing audio disc. The worse problem
is the software driver often isn't supporting the drive, unless it's an SCSI
2 drive. I got two cd-rom drives here, and both a capable of playing audio
cd's, but i got no driver who supports it 8-((

So to be sure your cd-rom drive will play audio, you either have to get
an scsi-II drive, or you may be lucky to get the audio scsi commands for
your none-scsi II drive, and then get the author to support it.

Greets
Kim

--

  /------------------------------------------------------------------------\
-/--------------------------------------------------------------------------\-

| The scandinavian board when you    | 5 Atari computers including a Falcon. |
| have Atari problems or requests.   | Modem handle 19200 Zyxel baud.        |
| CD-Roms online Free download limit.| Many years of experience.             |
-\--------------------------------------------------------------------------/-
  \------------------------------------------------------------------------/

[Q} Which CD-ROM allows reading Audio-CD's over SCSI?

Post by Kim Anders » Wed, 22 Mar 1995 04:05:12

HM> >- which CD-ROM players allow this (and also allow Photo-CD reading, and
HM>
HM> The Toshiba drives will definetely do that. Works like a charm on my XM-3401
HM>
HM> The newer ones, i.e. 5201, 3501, and 3601 should do that as well. The latter
HM> being _very_ fast, some 600plus kb/sec transferrate.

Most Cd drives are capable of reading/playing audio disc. The worse problem
is the software driver often isn't supporting the drive, unless it's an SCSI
2 drive. I got two cd-rom drives here, and both a capable of playing audio
cd's, but i got no driver who supports it 8-((

So to be sure your cd-rom drive will play audio, you either have to get
an scsi-II drive, or you may be lucky to get the audio scsi commands for
your none-scsi II drive, and then get the author to support it.

Greets
Kim

--

  /------------------------------------------------------------------------\
-/--------------------------------------------------------------------------\-

| The scandinavian board when you    | 5 Atari computers including a Falcon. |
| have Atari problems or requests.   | Modem handle 19200 Zyxel baud.        |
| CD-Roms online Free download limit.| Many years of experience.             |
-\--------------------------------------------------------------------------/-
  \------------------------------------------------------------------------/

1. Reading audio CD with CD-ROM player

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to read information from a audio CD
with a CD-ROM player.

How should this be done?

I would like to read the tracks, index and there times for automatic
storing in my CD archiving programm.

Is there anybody out there which can help me?

Marcel.

#include <stddiscl.h>                   Are you sure you won't change your mind?

voice:  +31 40 762007 / +31 4408 3531   Spock in ST4

2. Another Question from the new user

3. CD Audio software done (you need BB, SCSI Cd ROM and ASPI manager, which is software)

4. Can Anyone Help Me To Remember?!?

5. IDE CD-ROM+SCSI CD-RW

6. Java for Sound Synthesis

7. FS: Peavey SP/SXII Sampler,External Glyph CD-ROM,CD-ROMS

8. U.S. TV Networks Jump in as War in Iraq Starts

9. READ THIS, About ATARI CD MASTER, CD ROM PRODUCTS

10. SCSI CD ROM audio player

11. New 'budget' Atari 8-bit CD-ROM from DGS

12. Plextor CD-ROM Audio rec.?

13. CD-ROM audio commands driver