Wanted: good med. res. manpager

Post by Peter Kell » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Anyone know where I can get a good manpager that works on medium res?
The one that came with the nroff I downloaded only works on high res
monitors.  I used to have one before my hard drive crashed a while back, but
now I can't find it anywhere.

Also, if anyone knows where I can get a non-demo TurboST, I'd appreciate that
info as well, cuz I lost that too.

My machine, if you care, is a 1mb 1040stfm w/TOS 1.2

Cheers-

--
Peter Keller

"My object in living is to unite my avocation with my vocation
 As my two eyes make one in sight.
 Only where love and need are one, and the work is play for mortal stakes,
 Is the deed ever really done for Heaven and future's sakes."

                                                    -Robert Frost

Wanted: good med. res. manpager

Post by Terry M » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Tue 20-10-98 20:43, Peter Keller scribbled:

Quote:>Anyone know where I can get a good manpager that works on medium res?

What is a manpager?
--
Otagger ?1.22: Terry May - Las Vegas NV
The Rebel BBS: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Sector/9449/

Wanted: good med. res. manpager

Post by Peter Kell » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: What is a manpager?

It's a utility to view 'man' pages which contain certain esc/ctrl sequences
after being formatted by nroff.  Kind of like 'more' or 'less'.

--
Peter Keller

"My object in living is to unite my avocation with my vocation
 As my two eyes make one in sight.
 Only where love and need are one, and the work is play for mortal stakes,
 Is the deed ever really done for Heaven and future's sakes."

                                                    -Robert Frost

Wanted: good med. res. manpager

Post by Nicholas Bale » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Peter Keller a crit:

> : What is a manpager?

> It's a utility to view 'man' pages which contain certain esc/ctrl sequences
> after being formatted by nroff.  Kind of like 'more' or 'less'.

Ah, you mean a TOS text viewer ? or something for MiNT or Linux ?

There are plenty of these on most FTP sites. Try umich or lip6 first.
Links to them in the Quick FAQ.

Cheers,
Nick
--
   |||            Nicholas Bales, Toulouse, France
===|||============================================

-'  '  `- http://quickfaq.atari.org     mygale.org

1. MED/LOW RES emulator wanted...

Hi.

There are a number of medium and low-res emulators available for the ST...

The ones that come to mind are the excellent EMULA series of programs.
These are shareware and could be found on virtually any good ST FTP
archive - especially the German ones like uni-kl.de, uni-stuttgart.de,
uni-erlangen.de, etc.

In my experience, EMULA seemed the most compatible (worked on both my
520ST and 1040STe) and stable.  I was using its monochrome emulation but
I believe it also included a LOW RES emualtor version as well...

If you can find it - you might want to pickup a used copy of OMNIRES.
This was a commercial program that emulated both MONO and LOW RES color
modes.  It worked pretty well but did work with STe TOS versions and
you needed to patch it to work on TOS 1.4, etc.

Be aware that no matter what emulator program you use - you can expect
your system to run as much as 20-30% SLOWER under emulation due to the
extra processing being performed (i.e. converting color to mono or
simulating greyscales when emulating color on a mono system, etc.).
Emula allowed you control the extent of the emulation (you could reduce
emulation quality to increase CPU time), btw.

Hope this helps...

Oh yeah, just because you get an emulator running doesn't mean every
program will work!  Many games will crash because they directly access
the ST's hardware and interrupts whereas applications usually don't.
Also, emulation can consume a large amount of your system's ram - especially
when simulating greyscales, etc.

Ari

Let's FRY O.J. instead of FREE O.J.!

2. <Your Computer + Modem = $$$

3. MED/LOW RES emulator wanted

4. NEC 8500 FLOPPY DRIVE

5. STE won't boot in med-res

6. Adaptec EZCD 4.2e Help

7. Test prog (shell script)

8. Low, med, and hi res on one ATARI monitor!?

9. STE won't boot in med-res

10. aFTP in Med Res

11. Hi and Med Res with DCDesktop