The 286 is Crap!

Post by Mo » Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:42:22

I never really liked the 286, it's faster than an 8086- but not much. The
machines they ran in tended to be heavy and bulky for some reason (IBM AT
for instance). I loved that movie 'Hackers' with Angelina Jollie- the part
where they were oohing and ahhing over her new 286 notebook that was running
at blazing speeds. HAHA
Mo

The 286 is Crap!

Post by The Undead Mechani » Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:18:04

Quote:> I never really liked the 286, it's faster than an 8086- but not much. The
> machines they ran in tended to be heavy and bulky for some reason (IBM AT
> for instance).

I gutted one of those machines a while back and used the power supply to
power a car stereo I installed in my took box at work. The rest of the
computer (except for the floppy drives! I got a 1.2MB 5.25" out of it!)
found it's way to the dumpster, but not until after I had some fun with the
hard drive.

Just like the Atari's, man. They were great in their day. Now, like Rodney
Dangerfield, "they don't get no respect".

I loved that movie 'Hackers' with Angelina Jollie- the part

Quote:> where they were oohing and ahhing over her new 286 notebook that was
running
> at blazing speeds. HAHA

Um, there's a few things there that don't add up. First, that movie was made
in '95. At the time, we had already seen Pentium systems. On top of that,
Angelina Jolie, Johnny Miller, and Matthew Lillard were yakking about how
"RISC Architecture is going to change everything" while they were drooling
over it. Ever seen a 286 with RISC?

I liked the movie simply because I found it to be totally hilarious by how
"off-the-wall" it was/is. I laughed myself silly over how "Zero Cool"
pirated his phone connection at the beginning. Good movie, as long as you
don't take it TOO seriously.
--
David Bowden
The Undead Mechanic.

1. Link 130XE with 286 ?

Howdy !

Is it possible to link my old 286 with my brand new 130XE ? I will use the
286 as a data storage for my 130XE . Exists there programms to do that ?
Or is it simple better to connect a harddisk with my Atari...(It is very
expensive !)...

                                            TSCHSSIKWOSKI
                                            PETER

    Die Zeit ist ein gro?er Meister . Schade nur , da? sie ihre Lehrlinge
                               sterben l??t .
## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

2. Default PATH (or path) Statement Location ...

3. Ghost link from ST to 286?

4. PMMail - delete old mesg

5. 286 hardware/PC add in

6. SaveAs Individual Files for Configurations

7. Falcon Speed 286

8. Autonomous navigational robot web page

9. ATARI 286/30 ,HDD Controller failure.

10. FalconSpeed 286 -performance?