DC (formatter?)

Post by Robert J Anis » Mon, 19 Aug 1991 18:31:33

  I thought of a very useful utility that maybe one of the Double-Click
programming masters can create - a Background formatter.  What do I
mean by this?  Well, there is an IBM program I found at msdos.archive
called CNFMT106 that is a TSR program.  When a chosen hot-key is
pressed, a "format?" menu pops up - after you choose the format
you want (5.25, 3.5, 720k, etc) it begins formatting and drops you
back to DOS until it is done.  When it is done, you can have
a window pop up telling you so.  The nice thing about this kind
of a program is that you don't spend the entire day watching the
computer format disks -- the IBM version for example worked fine
behind Word Perfect, etc.  Although the IBM version doesn't seem
to work under PC-ditto, not did it seem to work under the Supercharger
(maybe it has something to do directly with the drive?).

  Anyways, hopefully an ST version is possible (sure would save
alot of time).  Best bet would be to try the IBM version, and
work from there.

  Well, that ought to keep minds frying for awhile....

                                        Robert Anisko

DC (formatter?)

Post by Doug Woko » Tue, 20 Aug 1991 03:04:26

Quote:

>  I thought of a very useful utility that maybe one of the Double-Click
>programming masters can create - a Background formatter.

        It's been done!  It's called Mystic formatter and it's a DA version
of the DC Formatter.  I think I got it from the Terminator archive.

--
        Doug Wokoun            /      /                | If you don't

            |||                   L     (((( STe ))))  | you will
    Atari  / | \  S I G         \___/                  |  fall for anything.

DC (formatter?)

Post by Robert J Anis » Tue, 20 Aug 1991 13:28:00

>>  I thought of a very useful utility that maybe one of the Double-Click
>>programming masters can create - a Background formatter.

>    It's been done!  It's called Mystic formatter and it's a DA version
>of the DC Formatter.  I think I got it from the Terminator archive.

>--

  Yep, I've just heard this from a number of people.  So much for my
credibility around here, eh? :-)

  Oh well, it's no surprise that the folks at DC had
something to do with it...

                                        Robert Anisko

DC (formatter?)

Post by Roger Sheppa » Wed, 21 Aug 1991 09:34:10

Quote:

>   I thought of a very useful utility that maybe one of the Double-Click
> programming masters can create - a Background formatter.  What do I
> mean by this?  Well, there is an IBM program I found at msdos.archive
> called CNFMT106 that is a TSR program.  When a chosen hot-key is
> pressed, a "format?" menu pops up - after you choose the format
> you want (5.25, 3.5, 720k, etc) it begins formatting and drops you
> back to DOS until it is done.  When it is done, you can have
> a window pop up telling you so.  The nice thing about this kind
> of a program is that you don't spend the entire day watching the
> computer format disks -- the IBM version for example worked fine
> behind Word Perfect, etc.  Although the IBM version doesn't seem
> to work under PC-ditto, not did it seem to work under the Supercharger
> (maybe it has something to do directly with the drive?).

>   Anyways, hopefully an ST version is possible (sure would save
> alot of time).  Best bet would be to try the IBM version, and
> work from there.

>   Well, that ought to keep minds frying for awhile....

>                                    Robert Anisko

Well there is, its called 'Mystic' from memory..
should be at archive, is a ACC...
--

***  85 Donovan Rd           *     GEnie.  R.SHEPPARD5               ***
***  Kapiti                *  *    At least I don't Flicker,         ***

DC (formatter?)

Post by Robert J Anis » Thu, 22 Aug 1991 13:40:40

  Okay, so I've found out about Mystic Formatter, which essentially
was what I was looking for.  But being the average ST user, I am
never satisfied (oh no!).  So how about maybe as one of their programs
of the week make a NEW version, with a couple of changes.  Instead of
being an ACC, make it a TSR.  Why you ask?  Well an ACC can only be
used if your program has access to the drop-down Accessory menu.
Therefore you can't use it from within say a TOS program (or any
program GEM or not that doesn't let you see the accessories).
Also, instead of a standard hot-key, allow the user to choose
his/her OWN hot-key combination (therefore allowing more compatibility
with programs that may use a similar key-press).
  And finally, maybe include an option for those lucky souls who
have a 1.44meg drive (whoever modified their system to handle
these drives).

  So what do you think?  Sounds reasonable?  (even coming from me :-)

                                        Robert Anisko

Side note:  reason I did not realize at first that Mystic Formatter
was a background formatter:  the copy I got had NO DOCS, and when
I loaded it originally, it just looked like any other formatter,
so I paid no attention originally to it.  Oh well, all those
wasted hours of foratting...

1. DC Formatter problems

Could someone please reitterate the problems with DC Formatter's format
routine?  I remember some net space being devoted to it, but I had not had
any problems, so I didn't really look at it.  Now, two of my floppys have
bitten the dust, for no apparent reason, and I become concerned.  Please
include which version is flawed (if it is flawed), I have both 3.01 and
3.02, and would like to know if there is any advantage to using one over the
other.  Also, is it true that an ACC version is available via Shareware cost?
I have not yet gotten around to sending it in!

Bob Marley

2. LDAP On Standalone servers

3. DC Formatter & Spectre

4. Compatibility Test Automation...

5. New DC Formatter coming soon.

6. a free Prom-U-Lator, never have to program e-proms again

7. ST Disk Formatter which can be read by PC's?

8. Calling Fdfmt (the floppy formatter)

9. HELP ICD formatter won't format QUANTUM QA250

10. Need a HD formatter!!!

11. Hard disk formatters?

12. MiNT disk formatter