Bug in gulam alpha version - (nf)

Post by g.. » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 06:49:00

I learned about a bug in the alpha test version 00.01.00 of the gulam shell
the hard way. Somehow I managed to create a file called ">foo.c" when
I fooled around with redirection. The directory where this happened
contained some other C-programs, one of them called foo.c.
When you do a "ls *.c" in that folder,
gulam expands to: "ls >foo.c bar.c something.c foo.c" resulting in
a directory list in foo.c, its old contents are gone. Is this a feature
of gulam ??? I think its a bug, a filename, however strange it may be,
must not lead to a redirection. foo.c is gone forever.
BTW, I checked it with the csh on UNIX, which behaves as expected, if you say
"ls *.c" you get a list containing the files ">foo.c" and "foo.c".
foo.c is not trashed.
Is this fixed in later versions of gulam ??

Gerhard Pehland
UUCP:  ...!seismo!unido!qtecmuc!ger

Bug in gulam alpha version - (nf)

Post by Michal Jaegerma » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 13:11:00

   Gulam is a very nice shell, but this is obviously alpha version
and IT HAS number of bugs (or places with a weird behaviour :-)).
For example, try to copy a file to a write protected floppy.  Gulam
will happily ablige, but instead to disk it will dump the file to
your own screen.  You may even argue, that this is a "feature" for
text files, but if you are dealing with 100K binary results may be
(hm...) rather interesting.  An attempt to break the operation will
crash your computer with 2 bombs.

   I have also experienced strange crashes after 3 or 4 file transfers.
It does not matter if I was using a built-in xmodem, or some external
program.  They were triggered by something innocent, like "ls" and
ended up with two, three or four bombs (a phase of the moon, I suppose).

   Other things.  If you will swap floppies, a new one won;t be
recognized utntil you will switch to its root directory and execute
"ls" command.  "rehash" has sometimes beneficial effects, but not
allways.

   A file >foo.c was probably created by an attempt append stdout
to foo.c, by typing somthing like "ls >>foo.c".  This does not work!
At lest not the way you would think so that it would.  I also miss
an option of saving te session in a file.

   But I still like it. :-).   Does somebody kepp track of all these
things.  I am sure theat they were rediscovered 100 times.

   Michal Jaegermann
   Myrias Research Corporation
   ...ihnp4!alberta!myrias!mj

Post by Prabhaker Mate » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 15:42:00

>I learned about a bug in the alpha test version 00.01.00 of the Gulam shell
>When you do a "ls *.c" in that folder,

[which contains, among others, files named '>foo.c', and 'foo.c']

Quote:>Gulam expands it to: "ls >foo.c bar.c something.c foo.c" resulting in
>a directory list in foo.c, its old contents are gone.
>Is this fixed in later versions of Gulam ??

It will be.
--
prabhaker mateti,   case western reserve university,  cleveland, oh 44106

Bug in gulam alpha version - (nf)

Post by Bruce Hollow » Thu, 02 Aug 1990 14:12:00

When the command line is expanded, it can sometimes overflow the command
buffer (try, for example, "kermit s *.*", where you have twenty or so files).
No warning that something has gone wrong. I'd like to see either a very
large command buffer (8K!), or a dynamic command buffer (but watch out for
memory fragmentation). Or at the very least, some sort of warning, and an
option to abort the command.

- Bruce
--
Bruce Holloway - Terminal Netnews *    {seismo,sun}!amdahl!drivax!holloway

                                >>> HI, KARL! <<<

1. Gulam notes (alpha test v0.01.00) -old

A couple of comments and questions about Gulam.

1)  There is a command called 'sx' that is documented by referring you to
a command called 'rx', but rx doesn't exist.  Can someone tell me what these
commands do?

2)  From ue (emacs) when you type a ^K is 'temporarily' pops you into Gulam
and your editing buffers are not FREED.  The manual says to try this but
doesn't say how to return to emacs.  So far I only tried running emacs
then ^x^b to the buffer i was editing.  Is there a more direct way to return
to your editing after doing a ^z  (oops that was supposed to be a ^z not a
^k up there, sorry).

3)  Finally, in ue, if you do several delete-backward-words (M-BS) then do
a yank (^Y) your deletes will be restored in reverse order.  SO the line,
Delete this line backwards.
becomes
backwards. line this Delete
when you restore.

*^*^*^*^*^*

How does one get to atari-sources to find out what is there and to ultimately
upload or download (correct terminology?) something to/from them or is it
only a part of netnews.

thanks,
-chip

Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe
*(*please note change in UUCP address      ^^^^^^^^^^^  seismo is gone*)*

2. IRIX 5.2 Magic Desktop is not saving window views between sessions?

3. Alpha version of Dir2Atr with SpartaDOS support

4. Christmas pics wanted

5. 40-Folder Bug not fixed - (nf)

6. Is there a business version of Money?

7. Fix bugs to fix bugs, or to Fix Bugs?

8. class already defined error (Java)

9. gulam bug

10. Possible printing bug in Gulam

11. Gulam bug? and turtle limitation.