TW/DataManager ST vs. BaseTwo vs. SuperBase vs. dBMan vs. your fave

TW/DataManager ST vs. BaseTwo vs. SuperBase vs. dBMan vs. your fave

Post by Pavneet Aro » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 22:01:00

OK Folks.  I've decided I need a data base manager.  The bills for my thesis
need to be sorted out so that I can present them to my supervisor.  I figure
I can classify my wall board heaters by wattage.  And I really do need to
figure out how much I spend on kites during February (This is Canada
remember).

My wife thinks its another one of my shennagan's.  I almost believe her, but
then I see an ad for the latest in ST data base managers.  Organize your
life.  Never succumb to paper lists again.  This software is packed with
features!  Supports a monitor, left/right cursor movements, does automatic
linefeeds in a report!  You name it!  And then that gleam comes into my
eye.  They glaze over.  I feel the poetry of Moliere like when he so eruditely
discussed "vapours of the brain" in the play "A Doctor Inspite of Himself".
Suddenly, I am ready to exchange money for any package.

Please someone.  Anyone.  Help me out.  What's the low down on data base
managers for the ST?  I guess I need something with some analytical capabil-
ities.   I read a book on REFLEX for the IBM.  This sounded like a neat
product.  Is there something out there like this for the ST?

adTHANKSvance

pavneet arora

TW/DataManager ST vs. BaseTwo vs. SuperBase vs. dBMan vs. your fave

Post by Jonathan A. Fisch » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 08:35:00

Quote:>...  And then that gleam comes into my
>eye.  They glaze over.  I feel the poetry of Moliere like when he so eruditely
>discussed "vapours of the brain" in the play "A Doctor Inspite of Himself".
>Suddenly, I am ready to exchange money for any package.

        I laughed and laughed when I read this.  Pavneet, while I wouldn't
quite use the same words, you've described exactly what comes over me from
time to time.  I _love_ buying software.  I think it's just a chronic love of
spending money, though.  But by gum if I don't have over $1000 worth of
software now... it's getting crazy.  And it's a telling comment on the ST that
it's this software alone that's keeping me from selling my ST and buying an
Amoeba.  I know I'd never get close to what I paid for all of it.

Quote:>Please someone.  Anyone.  Help me out.  What's the low down on data base
>managers for the ST?  I guess I need something with some analytical capabil-
>ities.

        I own dBMAN (pretty much a dBASE III+ clone now with version 4,
apparently), although I don't use it nearly as much as I'd like (like for
instance, I really want to get all of the Usenet message summary files into a
database -- what a wealth of information that is).  It's pretty good, and very
powerful, with its programmability.  Not quite as "user friendly" (I apologise
for using the uf-word) as most of the more GEM-oriented dBs out there, but
they do have a GEM interface now.

        Well, not much else I can say, since I really haven't used it in a
while.  In fact, I've barely used version 3, which I've had for 4 months or
so.  Version 2 was terribly buggy, version 3 isn't.  Anyone out there have
version 4?
--

...{ihnp4,allegra,decvax,utzoo,utcsri}!watmath!lily!jafischer
        "My computer understands me."

1. c64 vs CPC vs Speccy vs Atari vs Whatever

c64 vs CPC vs Speccy vs Atari vs Whatever(tm)

My answer to your pathetic flaming arguments and to other peoples
pathetic arguments about which computer is better. Blah blah  blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, or c64 blah. Blah blah blah,
and  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah? Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah, because  blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah, cpc! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah! Blah blah blah blah blah blah
totally silly. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah stupid, stupid,
stupid! Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah,
and not only that, but blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah!! Blah blah blah, and  blah blah blah
blah blah speccy blah blah blah blah blah blah! Blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah!!! Blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah. Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah. Blah blah blah, and blah blah: "blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah". Blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah atari!! Blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! Blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah!!! Therefore blah blah blah blah, or blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah, is not blah blah blah, but blah blah
blah blah. IMAO, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, or blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah totally worthless! Blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, and go to hell
with your stupid flamewars! Visit Forever 4 - multiplattform 8 bit
party this year in March 14.-16.2003 in Trencin/SK.

Roman

2. Help trying to send message from C++ app to VB app

3. ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...

4. Microtek V600 - Does the light stay on??

5. ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs

6. New Release of i3D Available for Download

7. ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

8. IPv6 DNAR (Domain Name Auto Registration)

9. Wanted: ST BASIC, True vs Hisoft vs GFA 2 or others?

10. Mac vs. Amiga (vs. ST)

11. dbMAN V vs. Superbase Professional

12. Atari 7800 vs. XL/XE vs 5200