Floppy drive rigged to external floppy port?

Floppy drive rigged to external floppy port?

Post by DJPsymile » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 04:26:27

Would I be able to wire a second floppy disk to the Atari ST floppy port?

Would I need an invertor on the head-select pin?

Heres what i wrote up so far:
(PC being AT/ATX computer)

PC -> Atari

8             4
10           8 - DriveA
12           6 - 1
14           5 - 0
16           8 - DriveB
18           9
20           10
22           11
24           12
26           13
28           14
30           1
32           2 - Invert?

1-33       3+7

Pin 32 Floppy drive side is /SIDE1 when set high. Where AtariST floppy port
Pin 2 is /SIDE0 when outputting high?
Therefor inverting output on atari pin 2 will give me Low when Side0 is
needed on floppy drive.

Is this different on the internal drive (PC Spec)? I put a HD floppy drive
in due to old one being dead.

Thanks, Dan.

Floppy drive rigged to external floppy port?

Post by DJPsymile » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 04:48:42

Ignore this pin - i think it'll interfere with the internal drive.
Quote:> PC -> Atari
> 10           8 - DriveA

Floppy drive rigged to external floppy port?

Post by DJPsymile » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:42:17

Ok, i did it - it worked first time.

Heres for those interested:
Floppy  > Atari Floppy
Disk Dr    Port
8             4
12           6 - 1
14           5 - 0
16           8 - DriveB
18           9
20           10
22           11
24           12
26           13
28           14
30           1
32           2

1-33       3+7

(I just connected any 2 ground pins of the floppy drive to atari floppy port
3+7)

I got power from internal floppy connnector.

The drives work back to back, reading, copying together (individually of
course)

No inverters needed. (I personaly think that its a typo that got spread that
atari Floppy port pin 2 is opposite of normal floppy drive pinout)

I had jumpers on the back of my floppy drives - external drive is set to
'1' - internal set to '0'. If you have no jumpers on the external drive, try
swapping pin 5 and 6 around on the atari floppy port pins (thats 12 and 14
on the floppy disk side)

Dan.