Atari Disk formats

Post by Charles S. Robers » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 01:13:00

I would like some help sorting out the available disk formats.  I've used
Twister and given the explanation in the STart article, I have a lot of
confidence in it.  Recently, I tried using DCformat (especially for its
intelligent copy (I only have one disk drive while my HD is being repaired,
again :-( )).   The most significant thing about DCformat is that it allows
you to format 82 tracks per disk.  I also remember some people saying that
certain drives won't let the r/w head go that far -- I think mine is one.

Would some kind soul take the time to explain DCformat (especially when
are the options (sectors per track, tracks, side, etc) active).  If I
am doing a disk copy, do these options have any effect?

Also, I know have disks that have total storage of:

        815,600
        805,179
        695,891

and I'm think I have seen 82x,xxx or something like that.  Is there
a utility that I can use to determine how a disk is formated.

Thanks,
-chip

|Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe|
      "One world is enough, for all of us..."         - The Police.

Atari Disk formats

Post by Michael B. Vederm » Fri, 02 Mar 1990 20:21:00

>I would like some help sorting out the available disk formats.  I've used
>intelligent copy (I only have one disk drive while my HD is being repaired,
>again :-( )).   The most significant thing about DCformat is that it allows
>you to format 82 tracks per disk.  I also remember some people saying that
>certain drives won't let the r/w head go that far -- I think mine is one.
>Would some kind soul take the time to explain DCformat (especially when
>are the options (sectors per track, tracks, side, etc) active).  If I
>am doing a disk copy, do these options have any effect?
etc....
>+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+

In fact, none of the disk options (except MAGIC) have any effect during
the disk copy portion of DC Formatter.

You can usually hear your disk head go 'CLUNK' when you reach the last track
of a disk drive that does not allow 82 tracks.

line eater
line eater
.
.
.
--
for (;;)                              : Use ATARINET, send an interactive
        do_it(c_programmers);         : message such as:

1. Atari disk format info + questions

I grabbed this little excerpt from Analog Computing (April, 1985):

<>SNIPPING EVERYWHERE<>
A typical single-density DOS 2.0 disk is organized into 720 sectors of
128 bytes each. The first three are the boot sectors. Sector 361-369 (8
sectors) are allocated to the disk directory, which can hold 64 files.
Each directory entry is 16 bytes long  and, along with the filename,
contains information about the file type, its length in sectors and the
starting sector number. One more sector, the Volumne Table of Contents
(VTOC, sector 360) is reserved for system use; DOS keeps track of which
sectors are already in use and which are free.
The remaining 707 sectors (sector 720 is unused by DOS) are data sectors.
Each contains 125 data bytes (0-124) and 3 control bytes. The control
buytes tell which file the sectors belongs to, the number of bytes in the
sector and which sector number comes next in file.
<>END<>

Can anyone find anything wrong with the above?
Also, what the article fails to mention is tracks. How many sectors per
track? Or does the disk controller work this out manually?
I intend to make a programme which will read Atari 92k disks in a low
density 5.25" PC disk drive - which should be _fun_ :)
Anyway, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.
--

"The old-age believe everything, the middle-age suspect everything and
the teenage know everything."              - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

2. Generic Visio Cisco icons available

3. Writing Atari Disk formats...

4. The War On Patriotism

5. news.mediaone.net

6. IBM software to write Atari disk format?

7. Win2k won't join domain

8. Atari disk format

9. Writing Atari Disk Format

10. Is possible to write an atari formatted disk to 5.25" disk drive in Windows PC?

11. ST disk format (SD/DD) boot sector and FAT format

12. formatting pc-format disks with ST