Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by Gustavo Comeza » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi!
    Months ago I posted an article that initiated a discussion of
possible strategies to reduce the noise made by the fan in a Mega. I
saved those articles, but now that I have finally decided to try out
some of the suggestions, god only knows where I put those files. I use
my computer primarily for music applications, for which the constant
whirring of the fan is quite distracting. So, if you have any
palliatives that you know of, why don't you take a few minutes to post
them? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

   Also, and while we are on the subject of various noises, how about
suggesting brands and models of really quiet HDs? I have a 210 Mb
Maxtor that is rather annoying. I would consider replacing it with
something quieter, so again, comments in this regard will be
appreciated.

                               Gustavo

Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by Darius Taghav » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Gustavo Comezana is looking for:

Quote:> possible strategies to reduce the noise made by the fan in a Mega.

I installed a fan switch on the detachable rear panel on my mega.

Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by Gustavo Comeza » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Gustavo Comezana is looking for:
>> possible strategies to reduce the noise made by the fan in a Mega.

>I installed a fan switch on the detachable rear panel on my mega.

Do you mean, you just disconnect the fan? Are there no ill effects?

                                         Gustavo

Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by Frank Vuot » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a 210 Mb Maxtor that is rather annoying. I would consider
>replacing it with something quieter

I'm not familiar with the Mega and it's fan, but .....

I doubt the drive itself is that noisy when it's not being accessed, the
fan is probably 90% of your noise. Try disconnecting the fan (for a short
time only) and see what you think.

Jameco Electronics (1-800-831-4242) has a variety of fans.
My favorite 12v (3.15 x 3.15 x 1) is the Panflo (#109081) 30 CMF
at a sweet 21.5 dba. ($7.95)

You can cut the speed (and noise) of a 12v fan considerably by
inserting a 47 ohm 1 watt resistor in one of the fan leads.
(2 Radio Shack 100 ohm, 1w metal oxides in parallel works too)
I have had this setup on my ICD FA-ST drive with a switch for full
speed (never use it). It's very quiet.

It makes me crazy to sit in front of one of those clones with the fans
screaming right in your face, how do people do it!

Frank           /~

Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by Robert Wil » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

> Hi!
>     Months ago I posted an article that initiated a discussion of
> possible strategies to reduce the noise made by the fan in a Mega. I

...I cut out the vanes leaving an open hole, which doesn't restrict the
air flow as much, then attached a vacuum cleaner hose to the case, and
directed the ouput down below the desk. This was all on a MegaFile, which
makes a Mega ST seem super quiet. I also ended up turning off the hard
drive while I was doing music; not an option with the Mega ST!
Get a 1040 for intensive music work (esp. when you're working with live
mikes) and use the Mega for tweaking sequences, printing scores, etc.

Quote:>    Also, and while we are on the subject of various noises, how about
> suggesting brands and models of really quiet HDs? I have a 210 Mb
> Maxtor that is rather annoying. I would consider replacing it with
> something quieter, so again, comments in this regard will be
> appreciated.

I got a Supra 20 Meg. Plenty of room for MIDI, as long as I keep my sample
files on floppy. It chirps when accessed (but that's before or after the
really intense creative part, isn't it?) Other than that, it's pretty
quiet.

--
 Songshop Musical Productions / "Imagine there's no countries,
 Box 266, Shawville, Quebec  / It isn't hard to do...Nothing to kill

Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by Dennis McGuir » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi!
>     Months ago I posted an article that initiated a discussion of
> possible strategies to reduce the noise made by the fan in a Mega. I
> saved those articles, but now that I have finally decided to try out
> some of the suggestions, god only knows where I put those files. I use
> my computer primarily for music applications, for which the constant
> whirring of the fan is quite distracting. So, if you have any
> palliatives that you know of, why don't you take a few minutes to post
> them? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

        The easiest option is to break out half of the plastic bars
across the fan output.  This reduces noise and increases airflow.  Then
you can also put a resistor in the power lead to slow the fan down slightly.

Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by FPINT » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have tried disconnecting the fan, but while it contributes some
> noise, the major part of it comes from the drive itself.
> >You can cut the speed (and noise) of a 12v fan considerably by
> >inserting a 47 ohm 1 watt resistor in one of the fan leads.

> Now this is a good suggestion

        Check for the voltage drop in the fan leads after the resistor.
It might occur that the fan doesn't start (due to lack of initial current
impulse or some dust on it), if so you'll fry your power supply. I wouldn't
mess with the fan.   Ragards!

   |||   -----------------------------------------------------------   |||

                      FALCON 030 AUDIO-VIDEO ENGINE

Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by FPINT » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

        Hi there: I have my cubase 2.01 version for ST, but when I try to
run it on the Falcon it appear countless bombs. I tried cache off, speed
8Mhz, Ste to falcon, Backwards, etc; any suggestion?

Regards!

   |||   -----------------------------------------------------------   |||

Post by Gustavo Comeza » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

>I doubt the drive itself is that noisy when it's not being accessed, the

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The HD *is* noisy. Why do you doubt it?

Quote:>fan is probably 90% of your noise. Try disconnecting the fan (for a short
>time only) and see what you think.

I have tried disconnecting the fan, but while it contributes some
noise, the major part of it comes from the drive itself.

Quote:>You can cut the speed (and noise) of a 12v fan considerably by
>inserting a 47 ohm 1 watt resistor in one of the fan leads.

Now this is a good suggestion. Thanks

                           Gustavo

Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by To » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hi!
>    Months ago I posted an article that initiated a discussion of
>possible strategies to reduce the noise made by the fan in a Mega. I
>saved those articles, but now that I have finally decided to try out
>some of the suggestions, god only knows where I put those files. I use
>my computer primarily for music applications, for which the constant
>whirring of the fan is quite distracting. So, if you have any
>palliatives that you know of, why don't you take a few minutes to post
>them? Your help will be greatly appreciated.
>   Also, and while we are on the subject of various noises, how about
>suggesting brands and models of really quiet HDs? I have a 210 Mb
>Maxtor that is rather annoying. I would consider replacing it with
>something quieter, so again, comments in this regard will be
>appreciated.

I just put in a new, quieter fan that I had kicking around. It's very
easy to change.

Regards

Tom

For my weekly column of straight talk and humor, check out my homepage at:
www.pris.bc.ca/tommy

Mega ST fan, noisy HD's, etc.

Post by Gustavo Comeza » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Come to think about it, why the need for a fan on the Mega? Apart from
the extra memory, is there a difference between its electronics and those
on the ST, which does not have a fan?

                                 Gustavo