Survey: Vintage Computer Collecting

Post by Earl Evan » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hello everybody,

I've been collecting vintage computers for about a year now, and have
decided to put up a web site dedicated to vintage computing.  The
website is located at:

    http://www.veryComputer.com/

If you collect vintage computers, I'd like to ask for your help in
completing a survey.  Here are the details:

I'm going to launch the first edition of retrobits.com on March 15th.
In that edition, I'd like to include an article about collecting vintage
computers.  It would be helpful to include a wide variety of people's
experiences with collecting - therefore, I'm inviting you to fill out a
brief survey about vintage computer collecting.  If you have the time
and can participate, you'd really help me out, as well as helping out
other folks who are interested in collecting (or just getting started).

If you would like to respond, please send the responses directly to me
to avoid cluttering the newsgroup (unless you believe others in the
newsgroup would be interested in your responses, in which case, go for
it!).  My e-mail address is:

Note: I will NOT give out your e-mail addresses to anybody, period, end
of discussion.  If you'd like to be credited by name for your
participation in the survey, let me know and I'll be happy to do it.

Here are the questions:

1: Why do you collect vintage computers?

For instance: nostalgia, programming, historical interest, *

2: Where do you collect vintage computers?

For instance: thrift shops, garage sales, eBay, other auction sites

3: What advice would you give someone just starting out collecting?

For instance: what to avoid, how to restore dirty/broken systems

Extra credit: I'd be really interested to hear what computers people
collect (e.g., micros or minis, brands, age range)

Thanks in advance for your participation!  Look for the first results on
March 15th.  As more responses come in over time, I'll upgrade the
collecting area on the site with the additional details!

Earl Evans

Survey: Vintage Computer Collecting

Post by Andrew Barke » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[Snip]

Quote:> Here are the questions:

> 1: Why do you collect vintage computers?

> For instance: nostalgia, programming, historical interest, *

Nostalgia, and to test how games should load and what models
they work on.

Quote:

> 2: Where do you collect vintage computers?

> For instance: thrift shops, garage sales, eBay, other auction sites

Car Boot Fairs, and one from ebay, but ebay is generally a rip off.

Quote:

> 3: What advice would you give someone just starting out collecting?

> For instance: what to avoid, how to restore dirty/broken systems

Get yerself to your local car boots and pay between 5-10 for any
speccy stuff.  You won't know if the item works until you get it home
and in my expreience they are usually broken in some way or another.
Even though the sellers will tell you they work, beware.
Start at a low price and barter them.  Stay at your accepted limit.

For 6 I got the following items:
1 x Huge box of games
1 x Big plastic bag containing 6 josticks and interfaces
1 x Currah uspeech
2 x ZX Spectrum 48k+s, one has dodgy keyboard membrane but can be
                       replaced ;-), the motherboards have different
                       issue numbers.
1 x Tape Recorder.

A real good find that day.

Quote:> Extra credit: I'd be really interested to hear what computers people
> collect (e.g., micros or minis, brands, age range)

I collect only Spectrum stuff.  I already own the following machines:
2 x ZX Spectrum 48k+ (different issues)
1 x ZX Spectrum 128k +2 (Grey)
1 x ZX Spectrum 128k +2a (Black, has printer port)
1 x ZX Spectrum 128k +3 (Disk drive is broken and a new one didn't fix
it either ;-()

I've just won a bid on ebay for a * key 48k speccy.  For 26
(gulp), but I've
been after one for a while, and it comes with a printer ;-)
I saw a pristine conditioned * job at a car boot sale for 15
including
a sh1t load of stuff.  I wish I bought it now, but never mind.

I still require a 128k original speccy, but I refuse to pay the amount
they go for
on ebay.  I'm actually not bothered about the packaging, so it should be
cheaper.

Quote:

> Thanks in advance for your participation!  Look for the first results on
> March 15th.  As more responses come in over time, I'll upgrade the
> collecting area on the site with the additional details!

> Earl Evans

Regards

Andy Barker (MIS Maintainer -
http://www.veryComputer.com/~as0aba/MIS.html)

Survey: Vintage Computer Collecting

Post by Tayle » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Problem is that from where I live if I venture closer to London, a boot
sale is somewhere where you can get your head kicked in for free and
further west and the only boot sales I might find consist of high
falootin types * old barber jackets out of the back of their
Range Rovers. Bah!

--
http://www.veryComputer.com/'s RedRival not ReadDrivel.

Before you buy.

Post by Andy » Wed, 15 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>  Here are the questions:

>  1: Why do you collect vintage computers?

>  For instance: nostalgia, programming, historical interest, *

Two reasons1) because I used to have one
2) because I never owned that one

There were a lot of computers that I would have liked to have owned but could
not afford the ridiculous price tag. Now I have the cash and the price is
ridiculously low. 8-)

Quote:>  2: Where do you collect vintage computers?

>  For instance: thrift shops, garage sales, eBay, other auction sites

Car boots, jumble sales, junk shops or in one case sitting on top of a TV
waiting for the bin men.

Quote:>  3: What advice would you give someone just starting out collecting?

>  For instance: what to avoid, how to restore dirty/broken systems

If you cannot see it working do not take the seller's word for it.Get a
soldering iron and cheap multimeter and get ready to get your hands dirty.
If you are going to salvage old computers you will come across dirty contacts
all the time. Most computers which lie about for a while develop oxidation on
the terminals and it interferes with plug in bits (I have had this on sega
master, speccy, zx81, nes). Clean them off and they will be like new.
A completely dead (ie no signs of any life at all) computer is normally a
power supply fault. Check the transformer O/P first as the leads get internal
breaks near the connectors (most external PSU computers I have used develop
this especially the ones which have to be set up and put away after use). Next
check for internal fuses (CBM +4) and broken power connectors (speccy and
Atom) and even damaged PSU connectors lifting off the tracks (zx81).
That should solve most of the simple systems faults. Anything else will
probably require more serious knowledge.
I have rescued a couple of 'completely dead' machines from the dump box
beneath the car boot tables which only required a replaced fuse or a replaced
power plug :-)

Andy

1. Do you collect computer games?

C|net has just published my article on game collecting.  This is just the
first in what I hope will be several articles on game collecting and
history.  I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer.  Check it out at:

http://www.gamecenter.com/Features/Exclusives/Collect/index.html

You can write me at:

Regards,
Hugh Falk

2. Terminal freak out in cat or tail

3. Changing volume label

4. New Vintage Computer Community

5. Changing the Html that I insert

6. new vintage computer stuf website

7. Constraint Reasoning - Separating the Business Logic from the PD

8. *** THIS WEEKEND: VINTAGE COMPUTER FESTIVAL 5.0 ***

9. *** VINTAGE COMPUTER FESTIVAL 5.0 ***

10. FT: rare vintage computer games

11. Vintage Computer Festival East pre-announcement