Info on TT

Post by Fred Appelm » Thu, 21 Jun 1990 03:37:43

On the official bulletin board of Atari the Netherlands, this message was
posted by Atari. I have translated the message from dutch to english.

Message : 16517 [Open]  6-17-90 11:00pm
From    : Sysop Wilfred
To      : Fred Appelman (x)
Subject : #16466 TT op 32 MHZ?
Sig(s)  : 9 (Portfolio)
There are 3 replies

These are the specifications of the TT as they are released to the
press last week.

TT

68030, 32 Mhz
Optional: 68882 (De 68881 is not fast enough)
2 Mb ST RAM, extendible with 2 or 8 Mb
Optional: 4 or 16 Mb TT (FAST) RAM
512 Kb ROM
720 Kb floppy
48 Mb SCSI 28 ms harddisk. Optioneal: 80 Mb en 100+

Interfacing: 2, extendible till 4 seriel ports
             1 parallel port
             1 cartridge port ST
             1 DMA port ST
             1 MIDI IN, 1 MIDI OUT
             1 ST compatible keyboard connector
             1 SCSI port 25 pins
             1 low speed LAN port
             1 VGA compatible monitor port

Video modes: 3 ST modes (Low, Medium, High) with palette of 4096 colors
             320x480 with 256 colors from 4096
             640x480 with 16 colors from 4096
            1280x960 monochrome

Delivering: The first 6 machines are delivered to major software
            developers in the Netherlands and Belgium. Already 12
            machines are delivered to Germany. The first real production
            is expected in August. Mass production is expected in September.

Price Dfl 6500,- ( $ 3.200 ) excl. tax, incl. MULTI-SYNC VGA color monitor.

Remarks:

ST software without adjustment 5-7 faster, after optimalisation at least 10x.
FAST RAM is only used by the processor and by the SCSI port.
SCSI tranfer via TT RAM gives 20% more HD speed than via ST RAM.  Software in
FAST RAM is faster too.
In fast (TT) RAM  we use burst-fill to fill the cache quickly, in ST
RAM we do something smart with the 64 bit arrays used for the the video logic.
ST RAM is 32 bits but is accessed with 64 bits by the video logic.
If there is no TT RAM, the SCSI controller also works with ST RAM.
Software is loaded in TT RAM by using a utility like MAKEFAST in TOS
1.4. Two bits are set in the file header to indicate the program is to
be loaded in TT RAM.
Compatibility tests have given must better results than expected, although
some programs had to be changed. It was remarkeble how many programs run
without any change. Some of the programs DID use the new features of
the TT right away. If a program didn't run, lots of times it was enough
to switch to ST video mode to solve the problem.
TT TOS is called TOS 3.0 and is functional equal to TOS 1.6 with some
extensions for the new hardware of the TT.

The rest you have to read in the magazines (The dutch magazines) which
will be in the shop soon.

Fred J.R. Appelman, 3D Computer Vision, Utrecht University
AZU, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Telephone: +31-30-506710 Fax: +31-30-513399

Info on TT

Post by Graham Thom » Thu, 21 Jun 1990 19:14:15

Quote:> On the official bulletin board of Atari the Netherlands, this message was
> posted by Atari. I have translated the message from dutch to english.

> These are the specifications of the TT as they are released to the
> press last week.

> TT

> 68030, 32 Mhz

(Lots of other specs deleted)

This is the second report I've seen quoting a 32 Mhz 68030 (the other
one was from Norway, I think).  It's starting to look like it might be
real.  An Atari UK person was very evasive when I asked at their recent
show whether the TT as shipped would have just a 16 Mhz chip.

Maybe someone listens to user comments after all, just sometimes.

Now where's that extra expansion slot?

Graham

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK

Info on TT

Post by G. Coupe EPD/74 O75/14 » Fri, 22 Jun 1990 04:14:24

Re hardware spec:-

Quote:> 32 MHz clock speed

a definite plus...

Quote:> 720 Kb diskette

You're joking!  1.44 Mb should surely be standard?

- Geoff Coupe

Info on TT

Post by Guus Kouijzer, PTT Research Neher Laboratories, the Netherlan » Fri, 22 Jun 1990 21:53:50

Quote:Fred Appelman writes:
> On the official bulletin board of Atari the Netherlands, this message was
> posted by Atari. I have translated the message from dutch to english.

> Message : 16517 [Open]  6-17-90 11:00pm
> From    : Sysop Wilfred
> To      : Fred Appelman (x)
> Subject : #16466 TT op 32 MHZ?
> Sig(s)  : 9 (Portfolio)
> There are 3 replies

> These are the specifications of the TT as they are released to the
> press last week.

> TT

> 68030, 32 Mhz
> Optional: 68882 (De 68881 is not fast enough)
> 2 Mb ST RAM, extendible with 2 or 8 Mb
> Optional: 4 or 16 Mb TT (FAST) RAM
> 512 Kb ROM
> 720 Kb floppy
> 48 Mb SCSI 28 ms harddisk. Optioneal: 80 Mb en 100+

for the 8 Mbyte ST RAM and the 16 Mbyte TT RAM memory extensions you'll
need 4 Mbit chips !

Quote:

> Interfacing: 2, extendible till 4 seriel ports
>              1 parallel port
>              1 cartridge port ST
>              1 DMA port ST
>              1 MIDI IN, 1 MIDI OUT
>              1 ST compatible keyboard connector
>              1 SCSI port 25 pins
>              1 low speed LAN port
>              1 VGA compatible monitor port

> Video modes: 3 ST modes (Low, Medium, High) with palette of 4096 colors
>              320x480 with 256 colors from 4096
>              640x480 with 16 colors from 4096
>             1280x960 monochrome

> Delivering: The first 6 machines are delivered to major software
>        developers in the Netherlands and Belgium. Already 12
>        machines are delivered to Germany. The first real production
>        is expected in August. Mass production is expected in September.

> Price Dfl 6500,- ( $ 3.200 ) excl. tax, incl. MULTI-SYNC VGA color monitor.

this standard color monitor does NOT support the 1280x960 monochrome mode,
according to an article in "Atari ST nieuws", a dutch magazine.

Post by Fred Appelm » Sat, 23 Jun 1990 04:15:13

Quote:>> 720 Kb diskette
>You're joking!  1.44 Mb should surely be standard?
>- Geoff Coupe

I'm just quoting what was on the bulletin board. This message was put
on the board by Atari.

Fred

Info on TT

Post by Guus Kouijzer, PTT Research Neher Laboratories, the Netherlan » Sun, 24 Jun 1990 03:45:41

Quote:> Re hardware spec:-

Post by Privileged Accou » Sat, 23 Jun 1990 16:24:55

>> On the official bulletin board of Atari the Netherlands, this message was
>> posted by Atari. I have translated the message from dutch to english.

>> These are the specifications of the TT as they are released to the
>> press last week.

>> TT

>> 68030, 32 Mhz
>(Lots of other specs deleted)
>This is the second report I've seen quoting a 32 Mhz 68030 (the other
>one was from Norway, I think).  It's starting to look like it might be

Here's the third: A dutch Atari magazine wrote that the 32 Mz is a last
minute change. (Atari Computer Nieuws, or something like that). No
rumour, I've read it myself. Flames to /dev/ACN.

Vic.
+------------------------+------------------------+-----------------------+
| Victor Langeveld       |                        |                       |
| Med.Phys. Dept.        |  E-mail:               |                       |

Info on TT

Post by Guus Kouijzer, PTT Research, the Netherlan » Sun, 24 Jun 1990 04:03:15

I'm sorry but there is another followup of mine around, which does not
have any extra info. I did some things wrong the first time.

Quote:> Re hardware spec:-

>> 32 MHz clock speed

> a definite plus...

>> 720 Kb diskette

> You're joking!  1.44 Mb should surely be standard?

> - Geoff Coupe

According to a dutch magazine, this is because the manufacturer of the
floppydisk-controller (Western Digital) only has an 8 MHz version. They
are working on the 16 MHz version of the controller, which will support
1.44 Mb.

Post by c.. » Fri, 29 Jun 1990 18:59:01

>Re hardware spec:-

>> 32 MHz clock speed

>a definite plus...

>> 720 Kb diskette

>You're joking!  1.44 Mb should surely be standard?

>- Geoff Coupe

According to a 'review' (I call it that in the loosest possible sense)
of a TT in ST User in the UK, they mention that 1.44Mb drives would be
included as standard as soon as possible.  There is a greyed out menu
option to format 1.44Mb disks on the desktop.  But it looks as though
Atari will ship machines with old floppies for at least some time.

   Chris

"'It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it,' said War testily, 'the One
Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse.'" - Sourcery

Info on TT

Post by John Hende » Sat, 30 Jun 1990 13:49:58

 Re: Shipping TT's w/720k floppy drives.

I believe someone from Atari recently said they would be shipping initially
with 720k floppies as they were have problems tting the 1.4m's to read
the old floppies.
 Also,what happened to the vote on comp.sys.atari.tech? Hasn't the voting period
expired? Could we hear from the vote taker or did he lose his access?

Info on TT

Post by David M. Bagge » Sat, 30 Jun 1990 22:35:31

>Also,what happened to the vote on comp.sys.atari.tech? Hasn't the voting period
>expired? Could we hear from the vote taker or did he lose his access?

Yes, the voting period ended June 7.  I posted the results a couple weeks
ago.  I believe it was 183 Yes vs. 72 No.  For a while the newsgroup was
listed as "pending creation" but since then there has been a complaint filed
with Eliot Lear that 183-72 represents only a 61% yes vote, meaning that the
vote does not pass.  Personally, I get 71% yes from those numbers.
Interestingly enough, if you take 1 - 72/183 you get .606 ~ 61%, so I imagine
this is how the bogus figure of 61% was derived; i.e., dividing by the
number of yes votes instead of the total number of votes.

I'm sure it will get straightened out soon.  (So please don't write *
notes to Eliot; he's already been informed of the situation.)

Dave Baggett