F030 BLiTTER IRQ

Post by Daniel Hagg - HFB T ep » Tue, 10 May 1994 17:47:49

I have a problem with the F030 blitter.
I want to use the blitter in non-hog mode while the CPU doing something else.
The idea is to set up a list of jobs for the blitter and interrupt the CPU
everytime a job has finished, start the next blitter job and then let the
CPU continue with what it was doing. To do this I need to know how to produce
an interrupt when a blitter operation has finished.
On the STE the blitter BUSY bit is connected to the MFP I/O bit #3, so it is
possible to let the MFP detect the state of the BUSY bit and produce and interrupt
if a change occur. However, THIS DOES NOT WORK ON THE FALCON! Why?

 /
/ Daniel

F030 BLiTTER IRQ

Post by D.L.Hastin » Tue, 10 May 1994 23:41:18

Quote:>I have a problem with the F030 blitter.
>I want to use the blitter in non-hog mode while the CPU doing something else.
>On the STE the blitter BUSY bit is connected to the MFP I/O bit #3, so it is
>possible to let the MFP detect the state of the BUSY bit and produce and interrupt
>if a change occur. However, THIS DOES NOT WORK ON THE FALCON! Why?

Well the obvious asnwer seems to be 'because the Falcon doesn't have an
MFP chip!'.
Although most of the MFP chips functions are emulated by the SCC, not all
of them are, for reasons known only to Atari. This is why MFPint() doesn't
work on the Falcon.

This may not be the reason however, just my suggestion.

--
+-------------+
| {{{ Dan }}} |

F030 BLiTTER IRQ

Post by Erling Henang » Thu, 12 May 1994 09:32:00

|> Well the obvious asnwer seems to be 'because the Falcon doesn't have an
|> MFP chip!'.

Wrong. The falcon has an MFP chip, but it is not connected to an external
rs232 port.

|> --
|> +-------------+
|> | {{{ Dan }}} |

--
       _______    _____          o           ____       Erling Henanger
      /___       /____/ /       /   /|  /   /           Norwegian Institute

F030 BLiTTER IRQ

Post by D.L.Hastin » Thu, 12 May 1994 19:35:26

    |> Well the obvious asnwer seems to be 'because the Falcon doesn't have an
    |> MFP chip!'.

Quote:>Wrong. The falcon has an MFP chip, but it is not connected to an external
>rs232 port.

I stand corrected.
So much for what Atari UK told me then... :)
--
+-------------+
| {{{ Dan }}} |

F030 BLiTTER IRQ

Post by Timothy Mill » Fri, 13 May 1994 03:17:01

>>I have a problem with the F030 blitter.
>>I want to use the blitter in non-hog mode while the CPU doing something else.
>>On the STE the blitter BUSY bit is connected to the MFP I/O bit #3, so it is
>>possible to let the MFP detect the state of the BUSY bit and produce and interrupt
>>if a change occur. However, THIS DOES NOT WORK ON THE FALCON! Why?

>Well the obvious asnwer seems to be 'because the Falcon doesn't have an
>MFP chip!'.
>Although most of the MFP chips functions are emulated by the SCC, not all
>of them are, for reasons known only to Atari. This is why MFPint() doesn't
>work on the Falcon.

>This may not be the reason however, just my suggestion.

>--
>+-------------+
>| {{{ Dan }}} |
>+-------------+

The Falcon DOES have an MFP.  It's just not used for serial I/O any more.  All
the other functions, including interrupt, and even the Ring Indicator input
are still there.  It's still used for timing signals in the Falcon.  Otherwize
every program that used interrupts on the Falcon would break.

1. F030 Blitter - CORRECTION

Contrary to a previous message by myself, TOS _DOES NOT_ switch
the blitter off when in 256 colour mode. It was NVDI doing that
since it is more effective than the blitter in this mode.
Sorry for confusing everyone...

"The fact that I have changed my mind
doesn't change the fact that I'm right"

2. line and paragraph spacing -- How do I do it???

3. F030 blitter

4. Outgoing mail rewrite per user

5. Amiga Blitter 40% slower than Atari Blitter (???)

6. Why Do Code Red Infected Servers Come After Me?

7. timing-routine / IRQ

8. context model

9. Can IRQ exceptions malloc memory ? (&using IPL7)

10. XL Emulator for F030

11. steinberg Avalon 3.0(?) for F030 ?

12. F030, MFP serial port?

13. F030 scsi cd problem