Multi-tasking

Post by d.paters.. » Thu, 01 Dec 1994 20:18:15

As I recall, the 6502 can do task splitting, not true multitasking.  The
MTOS program by Tom Hunt (Multi Tasking Operating System) would run up to 4
programs at once.  Each had its own 16k bank; screen memory was mapped above
the bank select area.  Each task could have its own display being updated
etc.

Byte, in the early 80's, had an article on this topic.  They proposed a
system with interrupt driven task switching.  I suppose as long as the task
manager used maskable interrupts it would be possible.  But I think it would
be of limited use on an 8-bit, 64k address space system.  Much better in my
opinion is a program like SnapShot, which lets you keep two 64k machines
available by pressing HELP; I'm fiddling with keeping FlickerTerm and Kermit
co-resident.

Dave

Multi-tasking

Post by Harald Schoenfe » Mon, 05 Dec 1994 08:41:51

>As I recall, the 6502 can do task splitting, not true multitasking.  The
>Byte, in the early 80's, had an article on this topic.  They proposed a
>system with interrupt driven task switching.  I suppose as long as the task

The programming language QUICK is capable of producing programs that
are running - interrupt driven - in parallel (up to 4). To do this
you can write normal programs using a special library on any ATARI with
a ramdisk.

Unfortunately the docs for that library are only available in german
right now, while QUICK itself is available in english.
--
   Harald Schoenfeld (IRC Nick: Equinoxe)   |        If he's your friend

1. Multi-Tasking

When it interrupts it should push the current PC/IP onto the stack, when the
interrupt is called.  So it should be *somewhere* on the stack, heh.  I
have never really thought about multi-tasking on the 6502, but it has been
done and I can see it very possible.  It may be slow as Windows, but at least
it isn't.  <grin>
--
Chad Wagner

2. Source to Sink Allocation Scheme

3. Multi-tasking...

4. New Programing Group!

5. "Multi-tasking" software

6. Connecting to DECServer?

7. Multi-tasking on the ST (and questions bout 16Mhz 68000)

8. Mercury to Mercury Relay?

9. Atari ST multi-tasking/user operating systems

10. GEM multi-tasking interface (please!!)

11. GEM multi-tasking interface (please

12. Multi-tasking? A boon...

13. Multi-tasking?