Falcon Parallel <--> Zip Drive!

Post by Tony Cianfaglion » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

In an old issue of AtariUser (1993), it mentions the specifications for
the Falcon030 and one of them is that it has a fully bi-directional
parallel port so it can use all PC peripherals.

With this reasoning, it should ebbe able to use an Iomega Zip Drive.  Are
there any drivers on the market that may work with the Falcon to allow it
to access the zip drive?  I know there are SCSI utilities but the Falcon
is supposed to be able to handle 2 way parallel communication with a zip
drive.

How hard would it be to port Iomega drivers over to Falcon use?

Thanks...

Falcon Parallel <--> Zip Drive!

Post by Dave Murph » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> In an old issue of AtariUser (1993), it mentions the specifications for
> the Falcon030 and one of them is that it has a fully bi-directional
> parallel port so it can use all PC peripherals.

I wouldn't think so - while the Falcon port is bi-directional it lacks the
extra control lines of the ECP/EPP PC ports. TUS were working on a full
parallel port implementation at one point but I don't know if they ever
pursued it. PC manufacturers are also very reluctant to hand out any kind of
sensible documentation that would allow an Atari programmer to construct a
driver.

Basically I don't think you'll get very far connecting PC parallel port
peripherals to a Falcon

Dave

Falcon Parallel <--> Zip Drive!

Post by Michael Schwinge » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

D> I wouldn't think so - while the Falcon port is bi-directional it lacks the
D> extra control lines of the ECP/EPP PC ports. TUS were working on a full

Correct.

D> parallel port implementation at one point but I don't know if they ever
D> pursued it. PC manufacturers are also very reluctant to hand out any kind of
D> sensible documentation that would allow an Atari programmer to construct a
D> driver.

Woller Systeme has a ROM-port interface that has a full parallel port
on it. They have drivers for QuickCam and parallel ZIP drives.

cu
Michael
--

Communication Networks    | Aachen University of Technology