Using a zip drive with an ST

Post by Uwe Seime » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 15:35:50

> Obviously one needs the SCSI version and an SCSI adaptor. Will any host
> adaptor work? Does it need to support parity?

As far as I know it does. The best host adapter (highest compatibility
with SCSI) is the LINK96 or LINK97 by WB Systemtechnik.

Quote:> How about software? I understand that HDdriver supports Zip drives: from
> which version (in case someone gets a second hand offer)?

7.00 or newer supports special functions for the ZIP. If you get a
second hand driver be careful that you get it on the original floppy
disk and that you get a written statement from the owner that he has
destroyed any copy. Otherwise your copy would be illegal.
BTW, the current version is HDDRIVER 8, with the demo version available
on http://www.seimet.de/atari_english.html. With an English manual it's
available from Atari Workshop.

Quote:> Will such a drive be auto-bootable? Someone who has a zip drive
> connected to his ST tells me that he needs to reboot it after power has
> switched on (warm boot), and some AUTO folder program has to be used.
> Sounds cumbersome.

Yes, any drive with removable media is auto-bootable. The ZIP is nothing
special in most respects. The only thing that is different between the
ZIP and other drives are the built-in auto-spin down and password
protection functions.

                                          http://www.seimet.de

Using a zip drive with an ST

Post by Steve Swee » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 05:36:30

Hi Hallvard

Quote:>I could use some information on how to set up a zip drive with an ST as
>I've never used one myself.

Open the box, extract the contents, plug into your SCSI chain, switch
the device ID on in HD-driver, reboot, use.

Quote:>Obviously one needs the SCSI version and an SCSI adaptor. Will any host
>adaptor work?

Yep.

Quote:>Does it need to support parity?

It isnt bothered i dont think, mines been lugged into a few systems with
no troubles.

Quote:>How about software? I understand that HDdriver supports Zip drives:
>from which version (in case someone gets a second hand offer)?

All i beleive

Quote:>There's also some talk about connecting a wire to a pin of the joystick
>for power.

New ZIP's i understand provide TRMPWR, but a diode to the relevant pin
from a +5V line in the zip will suffice, but if youve other devices on
the SCSI chain use one of them to provide power.

Quote:>I take it this is the +5V signal needed for SCSI "TERMPRW" at some pin
>of the SCSI unit (pin 11?).

i thought it was 25,

I also have a USB ZIP on't PC, so its really usefull to be able to drag
stuff from the Atari for CD backing up or to the Atari following a fast
web download.

You just need to make sure that HDDRiver is configured for windows
partitions and that the ZIP disks are partitioned to suit TOS and DOS

--

        Regards from STEve & his nice warm cosey PAK'd MegaSTE.
 *  MegaSTE 40Mhz 68030, 68882 FPU, 4+16 Meg RAM, SCSI II, MV-300  *

Using a zip drive with an ST

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 14:33:01 GMT

Hi Hallvard,

Quote:>A discussion has come up in the Notator mailing list (see my signature)
>regarding backing up data in a safe and simple way, and someone
>mentioned using zip drives.
>Actually using a zip drive instead of a harddisk because of the much
>lower noise level (which is important for us musicians).
>(then using a harddisk to back up the data from that drive!).

Have you considered using a cd-writer instead of a zip drive?  backing up
files on CD-R or CD-RW has several advantages. The price of the media is
only a fraction of a zip cartridge, a CD can hold up to 700MB of data, the
writer  can also be used by the musicians to burn their latest projects,
CD's are platform interchangable (any CD-R can read the CD).

Quote:>I could use some information on how to set up a zip drive with an ST as
>I've never used one myself.

Dr.Uwe Seimet has answered this already :-)
Setting up a cd-writer is very easy, you'll need the LINK and a dedicated
software package, for musicians I recommend SoundPools CD Recorder Pro...

Cheers from Belgium
Dennis
--
        ____     ____     ____
       / __ \   / __ \   / __ \

http://www.cix.co.uk/~derryck/index.htm

Using a zip drive with an ST

Post by Uwe Seime » Mon, 09 Jul 2001 16:32:41

> Are these still for sale? Can they be bought from WB systemtechnik
> directly? Are they a reputable firm? (There have been several scams with
> Atari dealers/suppliers, among others ICD, so I don't want to recommend
> a "shady" dealer to anyone, where they risk loosing their money).

As far as I know WB systemtechnik still sells the LINK96. I have not
heard any complains about them.

Quote:

>   [snip....]

> Excellent information!
> Do you mind if I forward your posting to my Notator mailing list where
> people have asked about this?

No, I don't mind. Postings in this newsgroup are public anyway.

Quote:> By the way, what about that wire they talk about which goes from the
> joystick port? I suppose this is a +5V signal which connects to the
> "TERMPWR" pin of the SCSI bus. Doesn't sound like a very elegant
> solution though -perhaps the abovementioned SCSI adaptors have this
> already wired internally so an extra wire isn't needed?

I suggest you ask WB Systemtechnik for details on this.

                                          http://www.seimet.de

Using a zip drive with an ST

Post by Chris Marti » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:30:55

Quote:> By the way, what about that wire they talk about which goes from the
> joystick port? I suppose this is a +5V signal which connects to the
> "TERMPWR" pin of the SCSI bus. Doesn't sound like a very elegant
> solution though -perhaps the abovementioned SCSI adaptors have this
> already wired internally so an extra wire isn't needed?

Below is straight from the ICD documentation, though I did not do it this
way.  One way I got around this is by having an external SCSI case (with
nothing in it) and connect a wire from the +5V power supply to the
corresponding internal pin (which connects to pin 25 on the Male DB-25P
through some cabling).  The connector in the SCSI case is a 50pin header,
which in turn connects to a 50pin centronics connector, which I connect to a
centronics-to-25pin-SCSI cable then to the zip drive.  I believe the pin I
jumper was somewhere near the middle of the 50pin internal connector.

That was the first way I got this to work.  Now I have a SCSI CDROM
occupying that external SCSI case.  It powers the TERMPWR pin.  So, if you
have a SCSI CDROM drive, connect it to your atari first, then connect the
zip drive to it and the zip drive will work fine once all termination is
done correctly.

___BEGIN ICD DOC___
How to get power for your Zip drive:

   Make a cable that goes from your unused joystick port to the unused
   port on the back of the Zip drive as follows:

   Female DB-9S  pin 7 <------------> pin 25  Male DB-25P  (5 volts)
                 pin 8 <------------> pin 24               (ground)