Problems with DIALER of STInG: "Serial driver not installed!"

Problems with DIALER of STInG: "Serial driver not installed!"

Post by a187.. » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks,

I tried to set up the STInG-package for PPP protocol.
So far everything looks good (sting loads the modules
centronics, serial,  tcp/ip ... etc)
but when I try to start the DIALER, there is a message:
Serial driver not installed!

(I guess this is a follow-up but CAB1.41 with overlay
returns error -17 when trying to reach internet).

Simultaneously the GEM-ping from Tools\ works with 127.0.0.1 ..
The modem connection is also ok.

After trying for 3 hours different parameters,
I have no clue what else I could change -> please help!

Ok, last not least: I use Mega 2 w/TOS 1.2 or 1.4(?).

Many thanks,
Artur

Problems with DIALER of STInG: "Serial driver not installed!"

Post by Peter Rottengatt » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I tried to set up the STInG-package for PPP protocol.
> So far everything looks good (sting loads the modules
> centronics, serial,  tcp/ip ... etc)
> but when I try to start the DIALER, there is a message:
> Serial driver not installed!

> Ok, last not least: I use Mega 2 w/TOS 1.2 or 1.4(?).

If you had read the *ing manual you'd seen that for TOS 1.2 or 1.4
you need to install HSMODEM.

Huh ? To lazy to read newsgroups ? Well, I'm to lazy to reply by mail,
as that is a bit of a hassle with my way of offline-reading.

Cheers  Peter

                            http://www.veryComputer.com/~perot

Problems with DIALER of STInG: "Serial driver not installed!"

Post by Peter Rottengatt » Sun, 29 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Could you kindly refrain from profanity?

Ok, replace the citation by

 RTFM

Any better ? Of course you never use swearwords, do you ?

Cheers  Peter

                            http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~perot

Post by Tony Greenwo » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>> Could you kindly refrain from profanity?

>>Ok, replace the citation by:  RTFM
>>Any better? Of course you never use swearwords, do you?
>AFAIC, you can say anything you want <g>. What some newbies don't understand

Hey never mind the newbies.. what about the women and children in
here... do they understand ???

Yes yes...free speech, say what you want etc.... (and indeed I have
been guilty of effing in this newsgroup).. BUT not for a couple of
years...since it was pointed out that this is NOT an * newsgroup
for over 18's..... this is NOT a newsgroup that excludes women and
children is it?

Perhaps you should review your stance on allowing disgusting language
in this newsgroup...I did and stopped...

<BIG Smile> :)

.

----------------- Sig Starts Here ---------------
ST+ Fanzine,The Monthly printed ATARI Publication
FREE Advertising * Non-Profit * Outlets Worldwide
Reviews+News+Internet+User Groups+Much Much More!
Visit us Now http://www.veryComputer.com/

Problems with DIALER of STInG: "Serial driver not installed!"

Post by Terry M » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

 p> Hey never mind the newbies.. what about the women and children in
 p> here... do they understand ???

Are you suggesting that women don't swear?

That's funny.

(The children are probably surfing for *. ;)

 * LED v1.51 *  "That'll be 62 dollars and 75 cents."
--

        Terry May - Las Vegas, NV

Problems with DIALER of STInG: "Serial driver not installed!"

Post by Tony Greenwo » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Are you suggesting that women don't swear?

>That's funny.

>(The children are probably surfing for *. ;)

sicko :((

.
!ynoT (STOSSER Software)

.

Problems with DIALER of STInG: "Serial driver not installed!"

Post by Peter Rottengatt » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>AFAIC, you can say anything you want <g>. What some newbies don't understand

> Hey never mind the newbies.. what about the women and children in
> here... do they understand ???

> Yes yes...free speech, say what you want etc.... (and indeed I have
> been guilty of effing in this newsgroup).. BUT not for a couple of
> years...since it was pointed out that this is NOT an * newsgroup
> for over 18's..... this is NOT a newsgroup that excludes women and
> children is it?

Do you really think the kids would be any better if everybody on the news
refrained from using swearwords ? That's an illusion. They hear those words
a dozen times in every movie they watch on TV or in the cinema, they hear
it from people on the streets, from their fellow pupils etc. etc.

It's like the discussion around guns. Tragedies like Arkansaw happen because
movies teach that * is a means to solve problems, because the kid's
parents tell them about the same, because guns are freely available every-
where in the US. Banning guns from schools is a weak attempt to solve the
problem, and so is banning swearwords from Usenet a weak attempt to improve
the children's language.

Post by Tony Greenwo » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>>AFAIC, you can say anything you want <g>. What some newbies don't understand

>> Hey never mind the newbies.. what about the women and children in
>> here... do they understand ???
>Do you really think the kids would be any better if everybody on the news
>refrained from using swearwords ? That's an illusion. They hear those words

Your reasoning seems to be that..everyone else uses disgusting
language so why can't you.. and it still doesn't make it right does
it?,

Quote:>It's like the discussion around guns. Tragedies like Arkansaw happen because

 I snipped the following ramble.....How you got this thread into a
discussion about Guns, Mass *s, Human Tragedies and killing is
amazing.......No wonder you use profanities...it must be hell inside
your head mate :)))

Quote:>Cheers  Peter

<smile>
.

Visit PAXTON WEB at URL http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Peter Rottengatt » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>>Do you really think the kids would be any better if everybody on the news
>>refrained from using swearwords ? That's an illusion. They hear those words

> Your reasoning seems to be that..everyone else uses disgusting
> language so why can't you..

No, it's not. Read my reasoning again.

Quote:>>It's like the discussion around guns. Tragedies like Arkansaw happen because

>  I snipped the following ramble.....How you got this thread into a
> discussion about Guns, Mass *s, Human Tragedies and killing is
> amazing.......No wonder you use profanities...it must be hell inside
> your head mate :)))

It was just an analogy (maybe a bad one) that I hoped would help get my point
across. The point is that it's useless to start curing problems of the world
by starting at the wrong end. Concerning people using bad languages, look for
the place where they really learn it from, disapproving it on Usenet where
it's rare anyway doesn't help as the kids do not learn it from Usenet.

Concerning my head, I'm glad you added that big smile.

Cheers  Peter

                            http://www.veryComputer.com/~perot

Problems with DIALER of STInG: "Serial driver not installed!"

Post by Peter Rottengatt » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm also a bit amazed that you got the details of the Arkansaw tragedy.

It was a bit of news that went around the whole world, and was a big subject
for several days even here. I reckon it did not just move me so deeply, and
since everybody should have heard of it, I figured everybody should have
reflected on the issue, so I thought it might work as an analogy. Apparently
it didn't at least for Tony. Anyway, this is off-topic ;-)

Quote:> This has happened throughout time. It's a phenomenon caused by psychopathic
> cowards. Unfortunately, they got access to some hunting rifles. In a country

Unfortunately it's not only that. You're right that it's about cowardice, but
that's only half of the truth. What kind of * teaches his six or seven
year old son to shoot with guns, regardless if air-driven, hunting rifle, or
pumpgun or Kalaschnikow ? Regardless what target. The child does not need to
be a coward to misunderstand that, especially if some majority of movies tells
it that it's a hero when it uses the guns for *.

Cheers  Peter

                            http://www.veryComputer.com/~perot

1. STacy 4 sale """""""""""""""""""""""""""

STacy

All the normal things that come with a STacy, PLUS:

FOUR megs of RAM
130 meg Hard Drive
Installed and working ADspeed board ( software or hardware switchable
External Keyboard port, just plug in a Mega ST(e) Keyboard
(keyboard not included)
Extention cord for a keyboard, compute from across the room
Wired for a battery (battery included but not very good)

Cost $  Make REASONABLE Offer

2. PIC16F819 - row erasing procedure

3. Sorry, "Asskicker" is NOT "Doom!"

4. FS: Macintosh Computers / Supplies / Parts (Web Site)

5. "Big" screen, flickering, "R: "/"Z:", etc

6. EV6 Workstation Delay; SKD's take at http://www.acers

7. Looking for "CyberStudio", "Cyber 3D", "CyberPaint", etc.

8. microsoft compares operating systems

9. Where can I get "op_400," "op_sysxl," or "op_5200" emulators?

10. "UNIX to ST" and "Thing" problems

11. SCSI problems "cannot install hard drive handler"

12. "Things Not To DO" problems