Any good pd or shareware Fax ST programs, and where??

Any good pd or shareware Fax ST programs, and where??

Post by valis.. » Tue, 04 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I just got a fax modem...I tried the j-ofice thing, but not being able to
read German myself, I can't get it to work....is STFax a commercial pro-
gram or not???  If you can answer any of these questions, please email me!

Post by M. Dekk » Wed, 05 Apr 1995 04:00:00

:I just got a fax modem...I tried the j-ofice thing, but not being able to
:read German myself, I can't get it to work....is STFax a commercial pro-
:gram or not???  If you can answer any of these questions, please email me!

I have a fax modem, but never got my st to work with it :-(.
But it seems that 1Mb ram is not much for fax purposes anyhow.

--
Martijn Dekker            |
University of Amsterdam   |      under construction:

Post by Steve Tayl » Fri, 14 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: I have a fax modem, but never got my st to work with it :-(.
: But it seems that 1Mb ram is not much for fax purposes anyhow.

I am sure 1Mb is FINE for Fax purposes... I have 2.5Mb but MagiC and lots
of concurrent applications running. I have faxed with far less than 1Mb free.

--
Steve Taylor. Atarian.         HOME PHONE: +44 (0) 1706 827190
6, Oxhey Close, Ramsbottom, Bury, Lancashire, England. BL0 9TJ

Any good pd or shareware Fax ST programs, and where??

Post by Steve Tayl » Fri, 14 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: I just got a fax modem...I tried the j-ofice thing, but not being able to
: read German myself, I can't get it to work....is STFax a commercial pro-
: gram or not???  If you can answer any of these questions, please email me!

Geez,,, the number of times I have answered this question in this very
newsgroup must nearly be in triple figures! Surely it should be in the
FAQ... Do we even have a FAQ?   Anyway, here goes again...

Modems support Fax classes 1,2,and 2.0. Your modem will support a
combination of these.
Fax software also supports a combination of these...

Most modems nowadays support classes 1 and 2, except USR modems which
support classes 1 and 2.0.

I have been doing a lot of research into this area recently...
Although there are others (StarFax, HackFax, BTFax etc.) the three worthy
of consideration are the following (IMO of course)

         CoMa - Shareware, fully GEM Compliant, supports classes 2 and
                2.0, imports TXT files and IMG files (and propietory FAX
                files).
                It also supports Voice capable modems and has a built in
                FTP server, which is the simplest form of BBS. This is the
                best but is very dear - about #50 pounds to register.

 STraight Fax - Commercial, costing #80 pounds from System Solutions.
                Supports Fax classes 1 and 2, imports TXT and IMG and comes
                with drivers for most word processors and DTP packages
                (E.g. Calamus, Pagestream, That's Write, Calligrapher etc.)

classes 1 and 2, imports TXT and IMG and comes
                with drivers for most word processors and DTP packages
                (E.g. Calamus, Pagestream, That's Write, Calligrapher etc.)

Junior Office - Shareware, originally German but I have just translated it
                into English. It will be about #17 to register. It imports
                TXT and IMG and allows you to freely combine them. It is
                very GEM compliant and supports FAX classes 1 and 2.

--

Post by M. Dekk » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

:
:: I have a fax modem, but never got my st to work with it :-(.
:: But it seems that 1Mb ram is not much for fax purposes anyhow.
:
:I am sure 1Mb is FINE for Fax purposes... I have 2.5Mb but MagiC and lots
:of concurrent applications running. I have faxed with far less than 1Mb free.

So you faxed only text? I was not interested in that (email for those
purposes). To fax a picture or something, 1Mb seems small to me. IMHO BTW.

:
:--
:Steve Taylor. Atarian.         HOME PHONE: +44 (0) 1706 827190
:6, Oxhey Close, Ramsbottom, Bury, Lancashire, England. BL0 9TJ

--
Martijn Dekker
University of Amsterdam
Math department

Any good pd or shareware Fax ST programs, and where??

Post by Jesper Ko » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hello android Taylor! The 13.04.95 you talked about "Any good pd or shareware
Fax ST programs, and where??",and my reply is:
 > I have been doing a lot of research into this area recently...
 > Although there are others (StarFax, HackFax, BTFax etc.) the three worthy
 > of consideration are the following (IMO of course)
 >
 >       CoMa - Shareware, fully GEM Compliant, supports classes 2 and

 > STraight Fax - Commercial, costing #80 pounds from System Solutions.

 > Junior Office - Shareware, originally German but I have just translated

Well.. You forgotten to mention the BEST Faxprogram overall to Atari.
Qfax v4.08. STraight Fax and Qfax is equal good.But i will still recomend
Qfax as i have NEVER had any problems with it.

Grtz from Sweden:
 /______                              |                             \

| |____|                              |     man has gone before"     |
|<  oo  > WiZZard on -*-Kockens BBS-*-|                              |
| |\__/|                              |           - Kirk             |
| \____/   ATARI ONLY +46-46-250256   |                              |
 \____________________________________|_____________________________/

( UUCP Dialup connection )

#70, not #80, according to SS latest catalogue. And it's one of those
programs which are much cheaper in the USA, $80 from Toad.

Daniel Cohen

Post by Steve Tayl » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

: Qfax v4.08. STraight Fax and Qfax is equal good.But i will still recomend
: Qfax as i have NEVER had any problems with it.

You're right I did - this is because I have no experience of it... It is
(AFAIK) of German origin, in German language, and not available in the UK.

--
Steve Taylor. Atarian.         HOME PHONE: +44 (0) 1706 827190
6, Oxhey Close, Ramsbottom, Bury, Lancashire, England. BL0 9TJ

Any good pd or shareware Fax ST programs, and where??

Post by Steve Tayl » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

:   > STraight Fax - Commercial, costing #80 pounds from System Solutions.
:
: #70, not #80, according to SS latest catalogue. And it's one of those
: programs which are much cheaper in the USA, $80 from Toad.

When I rang them they said 79.95...
I also contacted Toad, and he said that after all import duties,
trans-atlantic postages, insurances etc.etc. it would come to about the
same price Syssols are charging...  naturally I would have been happy with
paying by credit card, and having the software electronically transmitted
to me, but Mr.Toad did not seem too impressed with that idea :-(.

--
Steve Taylor. Atarian.         HOME PHONE: +44 (0) 1706 827190
6, Oxhey Close, Ramsbottom, Bury, Lancashire, England. BL0 9TJ

Any good pd or shareware Fax ST programs, and where??

Post by Tom Thomas » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

On 13 Apr 95, Steve Taylor shot this through the ether to All ...

 ST> I am sure 1Mb is FINE for Fax purposes... I have 2.5Mb but MagiC and
 ST> lots of concurrent applications running. I have faxed with far less
 ST> than 1Mb free.

  1Mb is usually sufficient for _sending_ faxes but you often run into
trouble when attempting to _receive_ them.

ATB,
Tom

( UUCP Dialup connection )

Any good pd or shareware Fax ST programs, and where??

Post by Tom Thomas » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

On 13 Apr 95, Steve Taylor shot this through the ether to All ...

 ST>     CoMa - Shareware, fully GEM Compliant, supports classes 2 and
 ST>            2.0, imports TXT files and IMG files (and propietory FAX
 ST>            files).
 ST>            It also supports Voice capable modems and has a built in
 ST>            FTP server, which is the simplest form of BBS. This is the
 ST>            best but is very dear - about #50 pounds to register.

  One should also point out that ?50 only registers the basic FAX program.
The voice upgrade is one additional fee and the FTP server is another. The cost
for the total package (CoMa PRO) runs to about ?150.

  Q-Fax also works pretty well, the only shortcoming I've been able to
discover is that it doesn't appear to accept Modem2 on the Falcon. This is a
bit irritating as I'm running a 14k4/28k8 FAX/Modem which runs fine in all
other respects.

ATB,
Tom

( UUCP Dialup connection )

Any good pd or shareware Fax ST programs, and where??

Post by Jesper Ko » Mon, 17 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hello android Taylor! The 16.04.95 you talked about "Any good pd or shareware
Fax ST programs, and where??",and my reply is:

 > : Qfax v4.08. STraight Fax and Qfax is equal good.But i will still
 > recomend : Qfax as i have NEVER had any problems with it.
 >
 > You're right I did - this is because I have no experience of it... It is
 > (AFAIK) of German origin, in German language, and not available in the
 > UK.
 > --

Qfax v4.08 is availible in German,English and Swedish version.

I think it is very strange that no one in UK has imported it.
I mean,its even availible in Sweden!!

Grtz from Sweden:
 /______                              |                             \

| |____|                              |     man has gone before"     |
|<  oo  > WiZZard on -*-Kockens BBS-*-|                              |
| |\__/|                              |           - Kirk             |
| \____/   ATARI ONLY +46-46-250256   |                              |
 \____________________________________|_____________________________/

( UUCP Dialup connection )

1. WANTED: PD-Fax-Program ???

Hello,

does anybody know a PD-Fax-program for atari st
it should support faxmodems class 2

Any hints wellcome!!

Greetings
        Hajo

| Informatik Rechner Abteilung (IRA)                     |  :-)            |
| Universitaet Karlsruhe;  76128  Karlsruhe  ;  Germany  |                 |

2. out-of-bounds error copying array to row

3. PD fax programs?

4. Rotary DIP SWitch

5. Looking for a Good PD comm program for 520

6. job Offer

7. Sources for PD/Shareware ST software in USA

8. SMS Site Server stops deploying packages

9. ST shareware/PD/Freeware list compilation

10. PD/shareware Fortran compiler for Atari ST

11. PD/shareware Fortran compiler for Atari ST needed

12. Fax to Fax-modem to ST

13. (Shareware) modem program for ST ..where??