My 1050 disk drive is not responding - Need advice

My 1050 disk drive is not responding - Need advice

Post by Dan Russell-Pinso » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 05:02:52

Hello,

I've just hooked up my Atari 800 and 1050 disk drive and I can't get the
drive to operate. (the 800 is working fine)

The 1050's power light comes on, but when I turn on the Atari 800, it
doesn't seem to go through its boot sequence.  (Haven't used it in a while,
but I seem to remember that turning the computer on should trigger the drive
to start up and check for a bootable disk...)

I've tried connecting it to the 800 with three different cables, so I don't
think it's a cable problem...

Anybody have any ideas?  Are there any tests I can perform?  (perhaps
issuing a few test commands from BASIC?)

Thank you!

Dan Russell-Pinson

My 1050 disk drive is not responding - Need advice

Post by Jerry Corneliu » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 06:35:11

When you turn on the Atari, the drive should try and boot if it's seen.
With no disk in you'll get the "farting" noise and a BOOT ERROR message.

Is the drive set to be drive 1?  There should be, if I remember right, black
and white slide switches on the back.  I don't remember the configuration
for 1, but it may be with both switches to either the left or right.

--
-= http://www.gardenofentropy.net =-
Vanity Plate for the Web

Quote:> Hello,

> I've just hooked up my Atari 800 and 1050 disk drive and I can't get the
> drive to operate. (the 800 is working fine)

> The 1050's power light comes on, but when I turn on the Atari 800, it
> doesn't seem to go through its boot sequence.  (Haven't used it in a
while,
> but I seem to remember that turning the computer on should trigger the
drive
> to start up and check for a bootable disk...)

> I've tried connecting it to the 800 with three different cables, so I
don't
> think it's a cable problem...

> Anybody have any ideas?  Are there any tests I can perform?  (perhaps
> issuing a few test commands from BASIC?)

> Thank you!

> Dan Russell-Pinson

My 1050 disk drive is not responding - Need advice

Post by Mo » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 14:18:54

You might want to check and make sure the drive number on the back is set to
drive one. I think it's both sliders switched to the left.
Mo

>Hello,

>I've just hooked up my Atari 800 and 1050 disk drive and I can't get the
>drive to operate. (the 800 is working fine)

>The 1050's power light comes on, but when I turn on the Atari 800, it
>doesn't seem to go through its boot sequence.  (Haven't used it in a while,
>but I seem to remember that turning the computer on should trigger the
drive
>to start up and check for a bootable disk...)

>I've tried connecting it to the 800 with three different cables, so I don't
>think it's a cable problem...

>Anybody have any ideas?  Are there any tests I can perform?  (perhaps
>issuing a few test commands from BASIC?)

>Thank you!

>Dan Russell-Pinson

My 1050 disk drive is not responding - Need advice

Post by Ron Hamilto » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 02:04:48

We are a little light on specific symptoms and detailed behaviour. The first
thing to check is drive # setting for both switches to the left looking at
the back of the unit for D1. Next make sure you have a language cart or no
cart installed as games do not trigger a disk boot.

Does the 1050 initialize and briefly spin the mechanism when first powered
on and again when latched after inserting a floppy? Absence of these actions
may indicate a problem in the drive circuity.

There is a way to use the resident disk handler thru the Device Control
Block to attempt a disk sector read as part of troubleshooting, but it must
boot the DOS to give any practical usage...

--
-Ron

http://www.atariland.com/members/oldatarian

> Hello,

> I've just hooked up my Atari 800 and 1050 disk drive and I can't get the
> drive to operate. (the 800 is working fine)

> The 1050's power light comes on, but when I turn on the Atari 800, it
> doesn't seem to go through its boot sequence.  (Haven't used it in a
while,
> but I seem to remember that turning the computer on should trigger the
drive
> to start up and check for a bootable disk...)

> I've tried connecting it to the 800 with three different cables, so I
don't
> think it's a cable problem...

> Anybody have any ideas?  Are there any tests I can perform?  (perhaps
> issuing a few test commands from BASIC?)

> Thank you!

> Dan Russell-Pinson

1. Disk drive not responding!

My disk drive seems to have died for some strange reason...

I was working with my computer and decided to try out a few disks
(I usually use my harddisk), but seemed to get read errors all the time
with a few disks. Strange I though to myself- they've worked before.
I kept trying more disks and after a while I couldn't read any disks at
all!

The only message I keep getting is "disk drive is not responding".
I was worried that my disk controller chip was blown (especially since I
had recently installed an AJAX, hoping to get my HD drive working in HD
mode soon), but replacing it with my old WD-1772-02-02 changed nothing, so
I suppose the fault is somewhere else.

I'm going to check the ribbon cable from the main-board to the disk drive,
but I doubt that's where the problem is (though I hope it's a simple thing
like that). Any ideas about what might have gone wrong and why?
By the way, the drive spins when accessed and everything *seems* fine,
but it won't read or format any disks. The printer, modem and harddisk
ports also work fine.

Hallvard
--
 -ST FTP site list:  <ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/hallvart/atari/info/ftplist.txt>
 -Atari ST FTP access  : <http://home.sn.no/~hallvart/pages/atari_ftp.html>

2. SMP

3. 1050 Disk Drive diagnostics disk needed

4. TAF Meeting March 18th - SCSI drives!

5. Needing help with Atari 1050 disk drives

6. Palm Keyboards

7. "Drive Not Responding"

8. SSCANF in WINDLL

9. Hard drive not responding

10. "Drive Not Responding"

11. Need some PROSYS/1050 advice (Bob Klass?)

12. FA: 2 x Alpha load 1050 disk drives with LOTS of disk