MiNT KSH and environment variables

Post by Mark Lehma » Thu, 22 Oct 1992 02:43:31

I once again attempted to convert to MiNT.  I am happy with MiNT 0.95 but
I need some advice.

What do I need to do in KSH (under MiNT) to get TOS programs to read the
variables.  I am tryin to use "elvis" and no matter what I set the
"TMP" variable to, elvis complains that is connot creat a temporary
file.  When I use "ls" I only get the "ls" to give me the top
level directory for the drive.  I am forced to write:

    ls $(pwd)

of I want to see my current directory.

Should I abandon my old friend the Korn Shell and go back to buggy gulam or
try to convert to BASH?

Also, is TOSWIN hostile to Universal Item Selector III?  I can't get TOSWIN
to execute with a bus error when I have the UIS III accesory under the
desktop accessory window.

Thanks.
Mark Lehmann

Post by Christopher Brow » Thu, 22 Oct 1992 05:00:09

>I once again attempted to convert to MiNT.  I am happy with MiNT 0.95 but
>I need some advice.

>What do I need to do in KSH (under MiNT) to get TOS programs to read the
>variables.  I am tryin to use "elvis" and no matter what I set the
>"TMP" variable to, elvis complains that is connot creat a temporary
>file.  When I use "ls" I only get the "ls" to give me the top
>level directory for the drive.  I am forced to write:

>    ls $(pwd)

>of I want to see my current directory.

>Should I abandon my old friend the Korn Shell and go back to buggy gulam or
>try to convert to BASH?

I think ASH should work ok.  (The /bin/sh clone).  You could move to tcsh,
which definitely is MiNT friendly (and relatively TOS friendly, to boot.
Major bonus...)  I'm a csh family aficionado, so I'm a little biased here.

The problem that you're having with elvis is that it is hardcoded somewhere
to look for the /tmp directory.  It won't look at the TMP variable; I've run
into this with combinations of TOS/MiNT in both tcsh and mupfel.

A solution that will work under either TOS or MiNT is to make sure that
you have a directory /tmp at the top level on EACH partition.

Under MiNT, you can do a symbolic link so that /tmp goes to some arbitrary
place, say /dev/f/tmp.  This only works with MiNT though.  I'd rather go
with the /tmp on each partition...

I don't know what can be done about the ls problem...  It must be failing
to read the current path out of the environment variable, but I don't know
why.  I've used ksh without having this problem; are you sure it isn't ls
that's broken?

Quote:>Also, is TOSWIN hostile to Universal Item Selector III?  I can't get TOSWIN
>to execute with a bus error when I have the UIS III accesory under the
>desktop accessory window.

I use UIS III and haven't had any MiNT crashes that were at all related to
UIS; I run the UIS Desk Acc. under MultiDesk and haven't had any problems
with doing it that way.

--
Christopher Browne                |     PGP 2.0 key available

University of Ottawa              |
Master of System Science Program  |

1. Environment variables in GEM

An increasing number of programs require special environment variables before
they will function correctly (at all). I want to be able to set-up these
variables within my GEM desktop and then just execute .TTPs as required.

Do I just add lines to ASSIGN.SYS, or is life not that simple ? If that is
the answer what format should the line be, is it just:

VARIABLE=value

like the path commands?

Seeking enlightenment (as always),

--

Abekas Video Systems Ltd.       UUCP: ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!pyrltd!abekrd!mike
Reading.

2. No FS98 converter on MS FS converter page ?

3. ST Environment variables. Help wanted.

4. ?? Neural-net-based ALU?

5. $PATH environment variable

6. Setting environment variables for MSH

7. Weird problem with KSH v4.0 under MiNT

8. Getting MiNT/KSH/MW2/GNU C To

9. Getting MiNT/KSH/MW2/GNU C To Work

10. MiNT, ksh, MGR, blah blah blah

11. MiNT1.04 & Ksh problem