040-accelerators for Falcon

Post by Daniel Erikss » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 09:42:57

Does anyone have any specs for the Baracuda or the Afterburner?
According to my dealer the Baracuda will ship from mid December, but
before shelling out 1300USD I would like some more info.

How do I get in contact with the makers of the Baracuda? Phone, email?

1. 040 Accelerators (Was: Magic for Falcon)

Not as expensive as it once was, surely, but the manufacture of ANY custom
circuit board or card is a costly proposition. As is so often the case, the
cost per board goes down with larger production runs. Manufacturing just a
few -is- pricey. Ask anyone that has had custom PCBs made.

What does the Barracuda 040/20 board sell for? US$599 or so? And that won't
even fit inside the case of a standard Falcon, right?

How big is 'the market' you speak of? How many of those people would buy
an accelerator and at what price? And how should the availability of the
product be advertised so as to reach the most users? Who should market it?
If sold at wholesale, you need to allow for 60%+ discounts to distributors
and 40%+ discounts to dealers. Is the potential profit worth the RISK?

I'm not familiar with the PAK68K board except by name. I'm not a hardware
guru either but I do know that the pinouts on the 040 vs 030 are not the
same and you have some electronic incompatabilities that must be dealt
with thus increasing the cost.

040's generate a lot more heat than a comparable 030. You -should- use
use a heat sink and/or cpu-mounted cooling fan. This adds to the cost
and complexity of design for the cramped quarters inside the Falcon case.

A final consideration is the cost of the 68040 chip itself. At retail,
a 25MHz 040 currently costs ~$200 and a 33MHz costs ~$300 (IIRC). Granted,
buying these units at wholesale, in quantity, and/or opting for the 'LC'
(non-fpu) versions would save money, but they are still fairly expensive.

Is it possible? Sure. Financially viable? That's another question entirely.

2. PC box types - AT, ATX?

3. 040 accelerators (was: magic for falcon)

4. 2501 no ip unreachables

5. 040 accelerators

6. Polycenter Console Manager

7. 040 Accelerators (Was

8. New DRDOS 6.0 Update available via FTP

9. C-Lab Falcon MK-X and AfterBurner 040

10. FA: Falcon 040 (Afterburner + Desktopper)

11. FS: Falcon 040 system (Half price)

12. A Basic Falcon 030 or 040

13. FALCON/'040 BOARD