Neo Desk 3

Post by William Thomas Daugusti » Wed, 12 Jun 1991 06:17:18

I just ordered Neo Desk 3 today (cant recall the publisher) and am
just looking to see if anyone has any opinions on it. It looks pretty
good in the ad (which is why I ordered it:-), but I was looking for
someone who has used it, and has any general observations on it.

Ill be running this on a 520ST, and two DS 3.5" floppys, and a colour
monitor (no hard drive, or RAM expansion. _yet_)

Thanx

Billy D'Augustine

PS: a question totally unrelated. Is there any way to fake the ST out
when using a colour monitor, into thinking its a monochrome? Id like
to get the high res, but dont wanna have two monitors. I am thinking
maybe dropping or raising a line marked 'monochome detect' that I
see in the pinout.

Thanx again

Neo Desk 3

Post by Bob Erka » Thu, 13 Jun 1991 00:28:15

Quote:

>I just ordered Neo Desk 3 today (cant recall the publisher) and am
>just looking to see if anyone has any opinions on it. It looks pretty
>good in the ad (which is why I ordered it:-), but I was looking for
>someone who has used it, and has any general observations on it.

Well I've had Neodesk 3.0 for quite some time and I find it very useful. It
has keyboard commands for all your normal pop down menus. It is very
custsomizable and has other features to numerous to mention. I use it every day
and find it hard to go back to the normal atari desktop.
A happy customer.
Quote:

>PS: a question totally unrelated. Is there any way to fake the ST out
>when using a colour monitor, into thinking its a monochrome? Id like
>to get the high res, but dont wanna have two monitors. I am thinking
>maybe dropping or raising a line marked 'monochome detect' that I
>see in the pinout.

There is a autoboot program whose name escapes me at this time at atari.archive
either COLOREMU or MOMOEMU (something like that). That does this quite well.
I've only encountered a few mono programs that don't work with this emulator.
The catch is the screen resolution is obviously not as good and the response of
the mouse movement is also slower.

Bob

Neo Desk 3

Post by Mickey Bo » Thu, 13 Jun 1991 22:13:01

Quote:

>I just ordered Neo Desk 3 today (cant recall the publisher) and am
>just looking to see if anyone has any opinions on it. It looks pretty
>good in the ad (which is why I ordered it:-), but I was looking for
>someone who has used it, and has any general observations on it.

>Ill be running this on a 520ST, and two DS 3.5" floppys, and a colour
>monitor (no hard drive, or RAM expansion. _yet_)

This is the best $50 you can spend if you have a hard disk.  Without one,
it's utility is somewhat weakened (easy fix, get a hard drive!!).  The latest
version is 3.02.  If it turns out that you have 3.01 (which was the release
version), the patch program to upgrade it is available from atari.archive.

Quote:>PS: a question totally unrelated. Is there any way to fake the ST out
>when using a colour monitor, into thinking its a monochrome? Id like
>to get the high res, but dont wanna have two monitors. I am thinking
>maybe dropping or raising a line marked 'monochome detect' that I
>see in the pinout.

There are several mono-emulators that are PD.  They do work most of the time,
but the screen quality is bleeech.  Get yourself a mono monitor.  It is one
of the best reasons to own an Atari ST!!  I could not live without mine (I
am thinking of buying an extra . .).  You can obtain a used one through the
net for about $80 (on a good day :-).

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "Kirk to Enterprise.  All clear

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Neo Desk 3

Post by Ferenc Sza » Fri, 14 Jun 1991 15:58:20

Quote:

>I just ordered Neo Desk 3 today (cant recall the publisher) and am
>just looking to see if anyone has any opinions on it. It looks pretty
>good in the ad (which is why I ordered it:-), but I was looking for
>someone who has used it, and has any general observations on it.

>Ill be running this on a 520ST, and two DS 3.5" floppys, and a colour
>monitor (no hard drive, or RAM expansion. _yet_)

I use NEODESK 3.0 on my Mega STe with 4 Megabytes and the desktop eats away a   few hundred K.  You should check this out first cuz maybe some programs won't   work with only a couple of hundred K remaining (I can think of a few programs   that won't even work with a 520).

Quote:>PS: a question totally unrelated. Is there any way to fake the ST out
>when using a colour monitor, into thinking its a monochrome? Id like
>to get the high res, but dont wanna have two monitors. I am thinking
>maybe dropping or raising a line marked 'monochome detect' that I
>see in the pinout.

I dunno .......but......
Is there any way of using LO or MED res programs on a HI res monitor??

    ferenc

Neo Desk 3

Post by Randy Hosl » Thu, 13 Jun 1991 23:32:55

Quote:

>PS: a question totally unrelated. Is there any way to fake the ST out
>when using a colour monitor, into thinking its a monochrome? Id like
>to get the high res, but dont wanna have two monitors. I am thinking
>maybe dropping or raising a line marked 'monochome detect' that I
>see in the pinout.

If you tie the mono-detect line to ground the ST thinks it has a mono
monitor hooked up to it.  The scan rate goes to 70Hz and all you see on
the color monitor (actually I'm not sure about the color monitor, but on
my TV) all I see is scrolling orange lines.  In other words, it don't
work that way.  But, you may be able to hear the audio. :-)

Randy Hosler

Neo Desk 3

Post by Matthew Bak » Fri, 14 Jun 1991 18:57:48

Quote:> If you tie the mono-detect line to ground the ST thinks it has a mono
> monitor hooked up to it.  The scan rate goes to 70Hz and all you see on
> the color monitor (actually I'm not sure about the color monitor, but on
> my TV) all I see is scrolling orange lines.  In other words, it don't
> work that way.  But, you may be able to hear the audio. :-)

> Randy Hosler

The reason the ST polls the /MONO line 50/60/71 times a second is to avoid
blowing the sh!t out of your color monitor.

The horizontal osc cctry will try to lock to twice the normal horizontal
scan freq... this oscillator is also used to generate the EHT in your
system. If you're lucky, all that will happen is that the osc will freerun
and make a bit of a squeal. However, if you aren't lucky... anything from the
horiz. o/p transistor, the EHT coil, tripler, or even the tube (unlikely)
may fail. These failures, involving _very_ (20+KV) high voltages can be
messy, noisy, smelly, and _very_ expensive.

Don't do it.

Matthew

Neo Desk 3

Post by R C Smi » Sat, 15 Jun 1991 16:59:42

>>PS: a question totally unrelated. Is there any way to fake the ST out
>>when using a colour monitor, into thinking its a monochrome? Id like
>>to get the high res, but dont wanna have two monitors. I am thinking
>>maybe dropping or raising a line marked 'monochome detect' that I
>>see in the pinout.

>If you tie the mono-detect line to ground the ST thinks it has a mono
>monitor hooked up to it.  The scan rate goes to 70Hz and all you see on
>the color monitor (actually I'm not sure about the color monitor, but on
>my TV) all I see is scrolling orange lines.  In other words, it don't
>work that way.  But, you may be able to hear the audio. :-)

When I asked this question ~2 years ago I got the reply of DONT DO THIS
the higher frequency will burn out the coils...Needless to say I didn't
try this.

Robin