Tech help on old 520 ST wanted.

Post by Karl C. Hans » Tue, 27 Apr 1993 20:02:20

I have an old 520 ST upgraded to 1MByte of ram.  It has been in storage for
about 5 years.  Recently I tried to get it up and running again as an
educational tool for my children.  The machine seems to almost come up, then I
get two bombs and a busy-bee cursor that responds to mouse movements.  (This is
with no floppy in drive A.  A TOS floppy goes into an infinite read from the
disk/flash something on the screen/restart the boot process cycle.  I have been
able to get a game disk to come up completely, i.e. the game starts running
(the game is Silent Service)  The above indicates to me that most of the system
is probably functional.  I also have another ST box that I have used to swap
chips that were socketted, and everything runs identically with chips from the
other system (I *know* the other system is dead, killed by a power surge back
in the days before I knew better.)

I would appreciate any directions to where I could look next.  I have looked
locally for people that service ST's, but no luck.  I am comfortable mucking
about in the hardware, but have no scope . . . .  Also, if anyone has a
functional ST box that they would be willing to sell FRC (for real cheap) I
might go that route rather than continue to try to resurect (sp?) this one.

Thanks,

Karl C. Hansen

Kalamazoo, MI.

Tech help on old 520 ST wanted.

Post by Walter Loepsing » Wed, 28 Apr 1993 18:39:28

Quote:>I have an old 520 ST upgraded to 1MByte of ram.  It has been in storage for
>about 5 years.  Recently I tried to get it up and running again as an
>educational tool for my children.  The machine seems to almost come up, then I
>get two bombs and a busy-bee cursor that responds to mouse movements.  (This is
>with no floppy in drive A.  A TOS floppy goes into an infinite read from the
>disk/flash something on the screen/restart the boot process cycle.  I have been
>able to get a game disk to come up completely, i.e. the game starts running
>(the game is Silent Service)  The above indicates to me that most of the system
>is probably functional.  I also have another ST box that I have used to swap

this looks like your boot-diskette is dead. Try another one.
Esp. some file on the disk, which is executed, is bad. Therefore
the boot cannot complete, and starts again.
The game disk has other files to boot, and it works.

--
Greetings from Munich, Bavaria!

Walter.
+...........................................................................+

+   Fidonet:  Walter Loepsinger on 2:246/61                                 +
+...........................................................................+

Post by Karl C. Hans » Wed, 28 Apr 1993 22:21:36

>>I have an old 520 . .  . . .  A TOS floppy goes into an infinite read . . .

> this looks like your boot-diskette is dead. Try another one.
> Esp. some file on the disk, which is executed, is bad. Therefore
> the boot cannot complete, and starts again.
> The game disk has other files to boot, and it works.

> --
> Greetings from Munich, Bavaria!

> Walter.
> +...........................................................................+

> +   Fidonet:  Walter Loepsinger on 2:246/61                                 +
> +...........................................................................+

I have TOS in rom, and I seem to recall that the machine should be able to come
up without any disks at all.  When that didn't work, I tried the TOS disk which
goes into the infinite reboot cycle.

I have since tried another "non-boot" disk which has a file in the auto folder
which initializes the time/date from a battery-backed chip (Timekeeper).  With
this disk, I can see the time/date initialization, then the system reboots
again before the desktop comes up.  Once again, I am in an infinite loop.

Could this be caused by bad memory?

Karl C. Hansen

Kalamazoo, MI

Tech help on old 520 ST wanted.

Post by wedeme.. » Thu, 29 Apr 1993 20:44:49

Quote:> I have TOS in rom, and I seem to recall that the machine should be able to come
> up without any disks at all.  When that didn't work, I tried the TOS disk which
> goes into the infinite reboot cycle.

> I have since tried another "non-boot" disk which has a file in the auto folder
> which initializes the time/date from a battery-backed chip (Timekeeper).  With
> this disk, I can see the time/date initialization, then the system reboots
> again before the desktop comes up.  Once again, I am in an infinite loop.

> Could this be caused by bad memory?

Yeah, that would be my guess. It seems to me like a faulty memory-cell in the
system variable area (the first 32k of RAM) that makes the GEM crash during its
initialization.
You say, you have TOS in ROM. Is it really ROM, or do you have EPROMs
installed. If so, it could also be a wrong data bit there. Then you should
probably try to reprogram (and then verify!!!) them.

        Volker Wedemeier

Post by Karl C. Hans » Fri, 30 Apr 1993 00:32:16

>> I have TOS in rom . . . .
>> [stuff deleted]
>> Could this be caused by bad memory?

> Yeah, that would be my guess. It seems to me like a faulty memory-cell in the
> system variable area (the first 32k of RAM) that makes the GEM crash during its
> initialization.
> You say, you have TOS in ROM. Is it really ROM, or do you have EPROMs
> installed. If so, it could also be a wrong data bit there. Then you should
> probably try to reprogram (and then verify!!!) them.

>    Volker Wedemeier

Definitely ROMS, or at least OTPROMS, They have serialized markings on them
and were purchased from an Atari dealer when TOS first came available in ROM
packages.

I have received a couple of Email messages that also seem to look mostly at
the RAM (Thanks for the responses, BTW).  I would like to know if anyone has
a small program that could be used to test memory at boot up.  It would need
to be written as an accessory or some such, cause the desktop won't come up,
but Timekeeper seems to come up and print to the screen before the reboot
occurs.  If none such exists, I would pay $15 to $20 for a decent diagnostic
program that used direct screen prints etc. to help me track down the problem.

(I would write it myself, but have no way to generate a TOS disk/executable
. . . short of buying another system that is :-))

Thanks for all help.

Karl C. Hansen

Kalamazoo, MI

1. Help to use a PC DS/DD in a 520 ST (old) ...

Does anybody knows if it's possible to connect ( or fix ) an PC DS/DD to use
in a old 520 ST ( tos 1.0 ), cause I have an old external  SF 354 SS/DD; and
I've tried to use an PC High Dens. DDrive, ( but I think that works like
DS/DD  ); and it doesn't works ...   :(

        Help me please ...

                                                Edwin Beard

PS :  ... " since 1988 (+-) there are no places where to buy or get hardware
      for the ST." :(

2. architecture/performance tweaks with OleDbCommand

3. HP Jornada 680

4. Help needed. Boot problem old 520

5. SNMP Agent Toolkits

6. A real computer question (old 520 ST)

7. Help with Fahrenheit 64!!!!

8. Wanted: Rom listing for 520 st (Double Bus Fault)

9. Wanted ; Mudpies a freeware games 520 St

10. Wanted: ST 520 3.5" Drive

11. ST(e) WANTED 520,1040 or Mega

12. WANTED dead 520 ST