HEY, YOU!!!!!!!

Post by Kathryn Aileen Coonr » Thu, 07 Mar 1991 09:47:52

Yes you:
        I've been an Atari ST owner since around '86, but have just recently
stumbled onto this little niche in the net woods. Not much Atari action
out here in the 'burgh, so it's good to hear from other users! I post
this for the following reason. I am interested in getting any
information any of you may have available on any interesting
hardware/software, especially in the area of graphics enhancement. I
tried to read all the past post, back from about the middle of January,
but I got about as far as the Amiga/Atari flame war, and just couldn't
deal anymore (I've used both, and don't care). I would really like to
upgrade to better graphics, though, and the STE/TT really does not cut
it. I'll believe Lexicor when I have their product in my hands, and not
until. How about the Automatic overscan box? How about increased
resolution? Colours? I guess I should mention that I have the STacy4,
and a RF mod for colour, Spectre GCR, SuperCharger, Neodesk, etc.. I am
also interested in programming reference material, a decent word
processor (I have both WordFlair II and WordUp, which is lousy) DTP,
DTVid, and anything else you are just dieing to tell me about. I want to
know what else is out there, and why I shouldn't just jump ship and go
to another platform. I have been faithful for a long 5 years now, and my
patience is wearing thin. Sure, we have one of the best hardware buys,
but where the hell is the software base? Help!

What the Atari TT should be (IMHO):
        Just thought I'd add my late $.02.

1) Minimum 2 Meg, expandable to full 32 bit address path.
2) at LEAST 3 expansion slot, preferable a standard (VME!:-))
3) decent graphics resolution (min 1024x768x4096)
4) SCSI ((2!) not 2 ports, but the new standard)
5) ethernet
6) DSP
7) Power on, volume control, screen control from keyboard
8) composite RF out
9) true multitasking, not an add on
10) 32 bit support in the OS (so we can have some sorta standard, ala
quickdraw)
11) overscan (essential, and a "no cost" addition)
12) support for NTSC video in the OS
13) Better support for audio in the OS
14) interprocess command language ala reXX/Mach
15) if you'r gonna do a "cartridge" port, at least address more than 128k
16) a much better GUI (NeXTStep!)
17) ability for multiple workscreens
18) Upgradable Processor Design, and built in file compression
19) Real support from a real company (Yes, apratt is doing a much better
job, but...)
20) and put it all in a nice case, not that horror of a shell the TT is in.

I know that this is very close to a NeXT, but don't you all think that
Atari could make something like the above as well? As other posters
cried, Dave Small, where are you? I also know that this would be
expensive, and would stretch Atari's Power without the Price stance,
but, what power, at what price? Why can I not get more power if I want
it? Why is the Atari designed to lock you into one path? The TT was a
move in the right direction, but not really all that close. What kind of
joke is trying to foist VGA on us, and calling it enhanced, when a
SuperVGA card can be had for under $200 dollars, with twice the TT
resolution)? It is old, obsolete, and will not cut it for a Unix
workstation (if Atari ever gets their Unix out (March 13?)). One
expansion slot is not enough, especially since it will go directly to
the display card that will have to replace the standard video toad. Give
TOS emulation in a window, and give us Mach. Not all this need to be
hardware implemented, as it would be ridiculous to expect people to pay
for what they don't need, but the room and the possibility should be
reserved, in both the OS and the harware.
        At whom is the TT aimed? Schools, ha, they'll buy Mac IILC's at the
bargain ba*t prices for which apple will sell them to schools, to
get the name out. Unix workstation buyers? They'll get a SPARC, or a
NeXT, which are not very much more, and are *much* faster. Businesses?
You think you'll get them away from tried and true software standards in
the PC, or at least a wide software base in the Mac? Not at the TT's
price point. The TT is a GREAT machine, with good software, and really
great potential, for $1,000 less! If NeXT can market a very similar
machine, for $4995, Why can't Atari, an established complany, make some
of these things into option, and cut this by half?
        And the MEGA STe should be right behind!

Dave Small, where is HyperWeb?!!!

Go ahead and say I am unrealistic, say I should be happy with what I can
do, tell me to go over to comp.sys.amiga, but Do SOMETHING.

One last thing. There have been several articles in reputable computer
mags (well, I guess since ...Shopper dropped Atari and Amiga coverage,
they are not really all that reputable!) about a company that has come
out with a chip that will allow standard VGA monitors to display 765,000
colour onscreen, in standard VGA modes up to 1024x768. It will
supposedly market for less that $100. I want this in the STe! Allan
Pratt, David Small, SAM TRAMIEL, can you hear me?

                                        -GEISHA-

HEY, YOU!!!!!!!

Post by Van Snyd » Thu, 07 Mar 1991 10:57:09

Quote:>2) at LEAST 3 expansion slot, preferable a standard (VME!:-))

                                                      ^^^
VME boards cost about 3-5x ISA (pronounced PC) boards.  Are they enough better
(whatever that means) to justify the $$$ premium?  I'd rather have EISA, so
I can get high performance if I want to spend $$$, or decent performance for $.

Quote:>... The TT is a GREAT machine, with good software, and really
>great potential, for $1,000 less! If NeXT can market a very similar
>machine, for $4995, Why can't Atari, an established complany, make some
>of these things into option, and cut this by half?

University bookstores can sell the NeXT PizzaBox '040 to full-time students
and staff for $3100.  But I still think Atari should be able to compete.

--

ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

HEY, YOU!!!!!!!

Post by Ryan 'Gozar' Colli » Fri, 08 Mar 1991 02:34:13

Quote:> One last thing. There have been several articles in reputable computer
> mags (well, I guess since ...Shopper dropped Atari and Amiga coverage,
> they are not really all that reputable!) about a company that has come
> out with a chip that will allow standard VGA monitors to display 765,000
> colour onscreen, in standard VGA modes up to 1024x768. It will
> supposedly market for less that $100. I want this in the STe! Allan
> Pratt, David Small, SAM TRAMIEL, can you hear me?

What this chip does is not add 765,000 more colors to VGA, but uses an
anti-alais (sp?) method to make it appear there is more color and
resoultion. It does away with any "jaggies" on the screen, and makes
everything smooth. It also does it automatically, without any special
software, so it can be used with you existing software.

  / || \  The Price!!         Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

HEY, YOU!!!!!!!

Post by jal.. » Mon, 11 Mar 1991 01:38:48

>>... The TT is a GREAT machine, with good software, and really
>>great potential, for $1,000 less! If NeXT can market a very similar
>>machine, for $4995, Why can't Atari, an established complany, make some
>>of these things into option, and cut this by half?

> University bookstores can sell the NeXT PizzaBox '040 to full-time students
> and staff for $3100.  But I still think Atari should be able to compete.

Well, Atari might have some hard time beating the aggressive pricing of
the new NeXTs. (As would just about any other company.) They would also
have to develop the machine from scratch if they wanted to make
something "revolutionary". In my opinion, the TT is basically just a speeded
up ST with better graphics. I hoped it would be something more when it
came out, but since I noticed the new NeXT models and their pricing, I
decided not to stick with the Atari label even if I had had a ST for 5
years. ST is still the most economical MIDI machine, though.

                                Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

HEY, YOU!!!!!!!

Post by Gregory Cart » Wed, 13 Mar 1991 03:18:29

As for NeXT, you forget NeXT has some of the most advanced production
facilities in the western Hemisphere.  This kinda of automation/efficiency
makes NeXT machines very affordable, this enables NeXT to make a nice profit
too!

If you ever look at a ATARI motherboard, it looks last minute makeshift
type of manufacturing.

Now if ATARI had access to the kind of production facilities NeXT has you could
probably pick up my MEGA STE for about 250 dollars!

--Gregory

HEY, YOU!!!!!!!

Post by Mark Ch » Wed, 13 Mar 1991 12:31:46

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.atari.st: 11-Mar-91 Re: HEY, YOU!!!!!!!

> As for NeXT, you forget NeXT has some of the most advanced production
> facilities in the western Hemisphere.  This kinda of
> automation/efficiency
> makes NeXT machines very affordable, this enables NeXT to make a nice
> profit

too!

Didn't really forget, just thought that everyone knew that Atari was
lousy at engineering  :^)     [   really  :^(   ] !  I mean, how does it
happen that they can *never* seem to get past the FCC? What gives? And
Steve-o, (a former Atari employee, I believe (he stole parts form Atari,
and the Woz nabbed stuff from HP to make the first Apple I)) is a
start-up. Why can't Atari get some capital together, start form scratch,
learn from their blunders (and, more importantly, from  other successes)
and get it right this time?

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.atari.st: 11-Mar-91 Re: HEY, YOU!!!!!!!

> Now if ATARI had access to the kind of production facilities NeXT has
> you could
> probably pick up my MEGA STE for about 250 dollars!

And don't forget, Greg, it would be 5 inches by 7 inches, weigh 2.75
pounds, have a 2400 Bd fax modem, a 1.44 meg drive, and support a real
graphics mode! Well. I guess then it would have to cost $350!