vt-100 for ST?

Post by John Kard » Fri, 23 Jun 1995 04:00:00

 I have been using my pc to play on the internet because I don't have a
vt-100 comm program for my ST. I have an old 1040st(f) with 1 meg. and no
hard drive. Can anyone tell me if there is a good program availible for
my ST. Also, is it possible to link my ST to the pc and use the ps's
hard drive? If there is a program for the St somewhere on-line on the
net, could you please describe in detail how to get to it and get it. I
am very new to this inet stuff.
                                                 Thanks
                                                  JPK
                                             Biohazard Breweries

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Pascal Roc » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

|>  I have been using my pc to play on the internet because I don't have a
|> vt-100 comm program for my ST. I have an old 1040st(f) with 1 meg. and no
|> hard drive. Can anyone tell me if there is a good program availible for
|> my ST. Also, is it possible to link my ST to the pc and use the ps's
|> hard drive? If there is a program for the St somewhere on-line on the
|> net, could you please describe in detail how to get to it and get it. I
|> am very new to this inet stuff.

It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to use your ST as a text
terminal, you just need the vt-52 emulator which is on the disk furnished with
your computer.

Pascal.

vt-100 for ST?

Post by kevin eugene scrug » Sat, 24 Jun 1995 04:00:00

|||  I have been using my pc to play on the internet because I don't have a
||| vt-100 comm program for my ST. I have an old 1040st(f) with 1 meg. and no
||| hard drive. Can anyone tell me if there is a good program availible for
||| my ST. Also, is it possible to link my ST to the pc and use the ps's
||| hard drive? If there is a program for the St somewhere on-line on the
||| net, could you please describe in detail how to get to it and get it. I
||| am very new to this inet stuff.
|
|It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to use your ST as a text
|terminal, you just need the vt-52 emulator which is on the disk furnished with
|your computer.
|
|Pascal.

        Also, there are AtariST termcaps entries available. If you are using
        a shell account you can have your sysadmin add this to the systems
        termcap file & you can use any ST dumb term prog.

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Ole Pa » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

JK>I don't have a vt-100 comm program for my ST.

I suggest using CoNnect (current version: 2.46) written by Wolfgang

JK>Also, is it possible to link my ST to the pc and use the ps's hard
JK>drive?

Yes, GhostLink or STTrans.

JK>could you please describe in detail how to get to it and get it. I am
JK>very new to this inet stuff.

% ftp atari.archive.umich.edu (or ftp.uni-muenster.de, for example)

login: anonymous

ftp> dir
ftp> cd (directory)
ftp> get (the file you need - use mget (files) in order to get several
     files)
ftp> quit

% ls -l
% sz (file(s) downloaded using ftp)

cu...Ole

---

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Mickey Bo » Fri, 30 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>  I have been using my pc to play on the internet because I don't have a
> vt-100 comm program for my ST. I have an old 1040st(f) with 1 meg. and no
> hard drive. Can anyone tell me if there is a good program availible for
> my ST.

IMHO, the best comm program for your particular setup is Uniterm.  Presuming
that you use a fast modem (9600 baud or above), you also want the HSMODEM
serial patch programs.  Both of these packages are available from
atari.archive.umich.edu and its mirrors (/Telecomm and /Utilities/Tosfixes).

My reasons for recommending Uniterm:
        Fits on a floppy
        Has built-in screen acceleration
        Excellent vt100 emulation
        Free

Connect is my personal favorite comm program, but it really requires a
16mHz 68k processor or above to compete with Uniterm's speed.

Quote:> Also, is it possible to link my ST to the pc and use the ps's
> hard drive? If there is a program for the St somewhere on-line on the
> net, could you please describe in detail how to get to it and get it. I
> am very new to this inet stuff.

Check out Ghostlink, also on atari.archive (in /Network, I believe).

*              Mickey Boyd            *    Office Phone:   (904)644-7167    *
*         Systems Administrator       *    Digital Pager:  (904)657-6425    *
*        Florida State University     *    FAX:            (904)644-4053    *
*         Mathematics Department      *    http://www.math.fsu.edu/~boyd    *

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Terrance R Reddi » Wed, 05 Jul 1995 04:00:00

John, I've been using my 1040STfm for many years in the internet
environment.  At first I was using it to connect to the University of
Oklahoma  OOOps got to go.

Use FLASH, STORM or stalker.  All have the ability to be used on the
internet.  Also interlink has a VT100 module.  Regards, Terry

John Kardel

:

--
Director Corporate Computer Training
Post Office Box 24708

Terrence R Redding

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Steve Wel » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

] Use FLASH, STORM or stalker.  All have the ability to be used on the
] internet.  Also interlink has a VT100 module.  Regards, Terry

Flash & Stalker are commercial.  Storm is probably no longer supported
and full of bugs.

For cheap, good, fast VT100 emulation on a standard ST in medium/high
resolution, Uniterm does the job well.  It has little in the way of
features, but its VT100 is better than all the other shareware/PD programs,
with the possible exception of Connect, which isn't as cheap, or simple.

Steve Wells.            Council! - Maintainer of the Generation-X Comics FAQ!

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Stephen K Mulrin » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>For cheap, good, fast VT100 emulation on a standard ST in medium/high
>resolution, Uniterm does the job well.  It has little in the way of
>features, but its VT100 is better than all the other shareware/PD programs,
>with the possible exception of Connect, which isn't as cheap, or simple.

I don't remember seeing it mentioned in this newsgroup before, but I swear
by ST Term.  It's quite old (1988) but it stands up extremely well, with
built-in support for tons of file transfer protocols including Kermit and
Z-Modem.  Lots of keyboard shortcuts and (best of all) it's TOS-based - I've
never found any reason to switch to another program.  As soon as I start it
up, I type the dial command and then start the on-screen timer counting in
seconds with ALT-O and ALT-CTRL-R.  Fantastic.

Stephen
--

er.demo   oroder.d  er.demon.  But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
n.co.uk  emon.co.uk   co.uk                 And pretend that I'm Kendo Nagasaki

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Steve Wel » Sun, 09 Jul 1995 04:00:00

] I don't remember seeing it mentioned in this newsgroup before, but I swear
] by ST Term.  It's quite old (1988) but it stands up extremely well, with
] built-in support for tons of file transfer protocols including Kermit and
] Z-Modem.  Lots of keyboard shortcuts and (best of all) it's TOS-based - I'v
] never found any reason to switch to another program.  As soon as I start it
] up, I type the dial command and then start the on-screen timer counting in
] seconds with ALT-O and ALT-CTRL-R.  Fantastic.

If this has VT100, then where do I get it?  If not, then it ain't gonna
be much use to the initiator of this thread :)

Post by Stephen K Mulrin » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>]I don't remember seeing it mentioned in this newsgroup before, but I swear
>]by ST Term.  It's quite old (1988) but it stands up extremely well, with
>]built-in support for tons of file transfer protocols including Kermit and
>]Z-Modem.  [..]
>If this has VT100, then where do I get it?  If not, then it ain't gonna
>be much use to the initiator of this thread :)

Yes, it's got VT100 (and of course VT52).  You can find it as st_term.lzh in
the Telecomm directory on atari.archive.umich.edu.

Stephen
--

Post by Roger Sheppard » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>]I don't remember seeing it mentioned in this newsgroup before, but I swear
>>]by ST Term.  It's quite old (1988) but it stands up extremely well, with
>>]built-in support for tons of file transfer protocols including Kermit and
>>]Z-Modem.  [..]
>>If this has VT100, then where do I get it?  If not, then it ain't gonna
>>be much use to the initiator of this thread :)

>Yes, it's got VT100 (and of course VT52).  You can find it as st_term.lzh in
>the Telecomm directory on atari.archive.umich.edu.

The only Real decent PD VT100 is Uniterm, nothing else can touch it....

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Robert Herz » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

One of the better terminal programs I used a lot was Rufus. You should find it at most good net shops.
I have been out of Atari for some time now... Sorry
Flash was not too good at vt100, only vt52
Uniterm was (is) excellent, and has the graphical (tektronix) emulation, but handling is a little bit ackward...

Robert

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Stephen K Mulrin » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>Yes, it's got VT100 (and of course VT52).  You can find it as st_term.lzh
>>in the Telecomm directory on atari.archive.umich.edu.
>The only Real decent PD VT100 is Uniterm, nothing else can touch it....

With all due respect, Roger, up yours.

Stephen
--

Post by Roger Sheppard » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>One of the better terminal programs I used a lot was Rufus. You should find it at most good net shops.
>I have been out of Atari for some time now... Sorry
>Flash was not too good at vt100, only vt52
>Uniterm was (is) excellent, and has the graphical (tektronix) emulation, but handling is a little bit ackward...

I will agree that Rufus could be very good but its all in German and does not
support the ST medium resolution...

vt-100 for ST?

Post by Steve Wel » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

] One of the better terminal programs I used a lot was Rufus. You should find
] t most good net shops.
] I have been out of Atari for some time now... Sorry
] Flash was not too good at vt100, only vt52
] Uniterm was (is) excellent, and has the graphical (tektronix) emulation, bu
] dling is a little bit ackward...

I was quite impressed with this old ST-Term program someone suggested,
it's non-GEM so is extremely quick, has reasonably good VT-100 emulation,
and Z-Modem ??AT S7=60 X1 V1 E1 Q0
Z-Modem, Kermit, a capture...  What else does one need?  Some of it is
a bit primitive, but hey, so what if it works!?

Steve Wells.            Council! - Maintainer of the Generation-X Comics FAQ!

1. Atari ST VT-100 Terminal Emulator Cartridge - problems.

*** attn: Allan Pratt

re: Atari ST VT-100 Terminal Emulator Cartridge.

Environment: Colour Mega ST 2, with SmartLink 2400 modem.

Last weekend I bought the this VT-100 Emulator from "What's This" here
in Kitchener. Yesterday when our phone was reconnected to the rest of
the world, I actually started trying to setup the emulator for a
session. I had trouble with parity and bit settings.

In my normal communications environment I use the VT-52 emulator
accessory with GEM Kermit. I set the RS232 to 7 bits, even parity,
strip bit on (1 stop bit). With the accessory I have no trouble
getting the modem to respond with OK. If I change parity fine. If
I change to 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop nit  no problem with the accessory.

Now if I plug the cartridge in and power up again, I find that the only
format I can talk to the modem in is 8 bits, no parity (I assume
1 stop bit since there is no parameter in SET-UP B for it). When ever
I change to 7 bits, any parity, my modem refuses to echo characters and
respond with OK. I tried for an hour to get the modem to talk to the
VT-100 emulator using 7 bits. No frigging luck.

Is this a bug with the cartridge program or I'm doing something wrong?

- Ant

--

 __                    _          |    - The Princess Bride (movie)
/   _  _  _ |/ _  _    | _  _ |/  |

2. setting solid text with \brokenpenalty 9000

3. WTB: VT-100 Terminal Program

4. ! Announcing ! Dun & Bradstreet Satyam Software Off-Shore Software Development Services

5. ANSI/VT-100 Documentation

6. warp3 connect :tcp/ip update fails

7. VT-100, TOS 1.0, 512K -How?

8. Serie 5 special edition (Greeny)

9. Flash 1.06 VT-100 Command

10. vt-100 emulator

11. Desperately NEED: VT-100 or ANSI terminal program

12. vt-100 emulator

13. VT-100 Emulation?