real-time clock

Post by Jim DeClerc » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:01:45

Maybe a dollar short and a year late, but my STe now has a real time
clock. Got a Dallas Semiconductor DS1216F chip, (32 pins, for TOS
2.6--earlier TOS uses a 1216E, which has 28 pins) put that under one of
the TOS 2.6 chips, and loaded areal36.  That almost worked, so I found
the only Bill Penner in the state of WA, USA, and called him. There
is now an areal37.prg, which displays the year correctly, for years
after 1999.

Someone wanted to know if that sort of thing actually works. It
actually works.

If areal37 does not come up in a web search, I have a copy.

 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |
  X       against HTML mail     | Copy me into your ~/.signature|
 / \      and postings          | to help me spread!            |
.

real-time clock

Date: 25 Sep 2001 13:01:45 GMT

Quote:>Someone wanted to know if that sort of thing actually works. It
>actually works.

Great! Thanks for passing the info on.

Quote:>If areal37 does not come up in a web search, I have a copy.

I'll be glad to put it on my web site if you send it to me.

BTW Dallas Semiconducters are now owned by Maxim - who in turn offer free
samples. Just visit their web site and fill out the form.

--
        ____     ____     ____
       / __ \   / __ \   / __ \

http://www.cix.co.uk/~derryck/index.htm

real-time clock

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:43:31 GMT

Quote:>> >If areal37 does not come up in a web search, I have a copy.

>> I'll be glad to put it on my web site if you send it to me.

>I haven't been able to find it using the usual websearch, so it would be
>nice if you or someone could make it available.

It's done - see my other message.

I can just see Maxim suddenly being inundated by requests for free samples,
which reminds me that I ought to seek a replacement NVRAM as per Robert's
message before I actually need it!

--
        ____     ____     ____
       / __ \   / __ \   / __ \
    /_____/  /_____/  /_/ Translations

http://www.cix.co.uk/~derryck/index.htm

real-time clock

Post by Derryck Croke » Fri, 05 Oct 2001 19:59:30

Hi Hallvard,

Quote:>> I can just see Maxim suddenly being inundated by requests for free
>samples,
>It works!!!
>I mean, I looked up Maxim's website (forgot the URL, but do a search for
>something like: maxim ic), filled out the form and less than a week
>later I received two of those Dallas chips!

You can now look forward to receiving lots of literature, some of those chip
packages look like fly-spots on the paper!

--
        ____     ____     ____
       / __ \   / __ \   / __ \
    /_____/  /_____/  /_/ Translations

http://www.cix.co.uk/~derryck/index.htm

real-time clock

Post by Steve Swee » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 23:39:31

Yo!, Dezza

Quote:> >> I can just see Maxim suddenly being inundated by requests for free
> >samples,

> >It works!!!
> >I mean, I looked up Maxim's website (forgot the URL, but do a search for
> >something like: maxim ic), filled out the form and less than a week
> >later I received two of those Dallas chips!

> You can now look forward to receiving lots of literature, some of those
chip
> packages look like fly-spots on the paper!

You need a change of guide-dog!!.

--

      Regards from STEve & his nice warm cosy PAK'd MegaSTE.
*  MegaSTE 40Mhz 68030, 68882 FPU, 4+16 Meg RAM, SCSI II, MV-300  *

1. F030 real-time clock failure

Greetings.

Yet another plea for assistance, I'm afraid.  The real-time clock in my
Falcon seems to have packed up - every time I switch it on it thinks it's
31:63:62 on the 31/15/2107!!!  It also resets sometimes whilst the machine is
turned on (when programs end, it seems).  Infuriating!

My instinct is that the battery's dead, but I'd have thought then the clock
would run fine whilst the machine is running.  No-one I've spoken to seems
sure about this.  Has anyone seen this before? Is it definitely the hardware?
(Should I be using anything other than the COPS or XCONTROL to reset the
clock?)  Someone pointed me to the NVRAM, but all the settings such as
monitor type have been fine all the time. Is the NVRAM in the same chip as
the clock?  Is it a chip I need to replace?

Also, the doc for a clock program hinted that there're two system clocks -
the keyboard clock and the GEMDOS clock?  I know I'm easily confused, but
this really puzzled me!  Which one should I be setting?  Which one of these
keeps its time when the machine's off, or is it something else?  If so, how
do I ensure that when I set the clock, the new time is kept `permanently'?

I've even tried going back to the Forget-me-Clock II real-time clock cartidge
I used with my STE, but although the config program is reading it fine, it
won't set the Falcon's clock... :(

Help please!

(By mail, please - my phone bill won't allow me to check newsgroups very
often :(  )

Thanks,

      _
     /_|_

2. Can't unpack winfonts with national 2.1

3. 'SMART WATCH' Real-Time Clock - (nf)

4. windows sans windows

5. 'SMART WATCH' Real-Time Clock

6. FTP from AS400 (EBCDIC -> ASCII)