Ghostscript and PDF files

Post by Michael and Nicole Freem » Tue, 02 Nov 1999 04:00:00

        I am required to read certain materials for some of my
classes at the University, which are in PDF files on class web sites.
I've tried to set up Ghostscript on my Falcon, but have had little
success geting it to do what I want. If I download a PDF file, and
try to view it, I get some kind of error and all sorts of junk on the
screen that I don't understand. I've tried Ghostscript 3.53 and GEMGS
1.2, with similar results for both.

        What I would like to ultimately do is set it up so that I
click on a PDF file link in CAB and Ghostscript is loaded and the
file automatically displayed, like Adobe Acrobat does with Netscape
on PC. First, is this possible? Second, how do you do it?!?!?! Any
suggestions would be extremely appreciated, since my tests are
quickly approaching and I haven't had the time to get into the
computer labs at the University. Thanks for any help!!!

                                                Mike Freeman

Ghostscript and PDF files

Post by Bob Kin » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

You will never get GEMGS to be anything like as fast as Acrobat. GS is
an interpreter all the way and has to load in additional .ps files as
and when needed. It does however work, for PDF and PS files on my Falcon
and in full colour. I'll send the full package to you private, but
forget about using it as a PDF or PS reader in CAB. It will work there,
I've done it, but the phone bills are enormous!!!

Bob King.

>         I am required to read certain materials for some of my
> classes at the University, which are in PDF files on class web sites.
> I've tried to set up Ghostscript on my Falcon, but have had little
> success geting it to do what I want. If I download a PDF file, and
> try to view it, I get some kind of error and all sorts of junk on the
> screen that I don't understand. I've tried Ghostscript 3.53 and GEMGS
> 1.2, with similar results for both.

>         What I would like to ultimately do is set it up so that I
> click on a PDF file link in CAB and Ghostscript is loaded and the
> file automatically displayed, like Adobe Acrobat does with Netscape
> on PC. First, is this possible? Second, how do you do it?!?!?! Any
> suggestions would be extremely appreciated, since my tests are
> quickly approaching and I haven't had the time to get into the
> computer labs at the University. Thanks for any help!!!

>                                                 Mike Freeman

Ghostscript and PDF files

Post by John Whalle » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I am required to read certain materials for some of my
> classes at the University, which are in PDF files on class web sites.
> I've tried to set up Ghostscript on my Falcon, but have had little
> success geting it to do what I want. If I download a PDF file, and
> try to view it, I get some kind of error and all sorts of junk on the
> screen that I don't understand. I've tried Ghostscript 3.53 and GEMGS
> 1.2, with similar results for both.

Do you know what they are using to create the files? Don't know which
Acrobat versions Ghostscript supports, but 4.0 has been out for a few months
so if they have used that it may be that GS can't read them :-(

Quote:> What I would like to ultimately do is set it up so that I
> click on a PDF file link in CAB and Ghostscript is loaded and the
> file automatically displayed, like Adobe Acrobat does with Netscape
> on PC. First, is this possible? Second, how do you do it?!?!?! Any
> suggestions would be extremely appreciated, since my tests are
> quickly approaching and I haven't had the time to get into the
> computer labs at the University. Thanks for any help!!!

You could install it as an external viewer in CAB, probably not using
VA-Start as I doubt if GS understands AV-Protocol. I'd be surprised if it
wasn't possible, but you'll need vast amounts of RAM, particularly if the
Acrobat files are large. Both CAB and GS need a fair bit of RAM: I wouldn't
contemplate this arrangement on a 4Mb ST, for example, if you already had a
multitasking OS and NVDI going.

HTH
John

--
Replace news with john in email address if replying via mail

The MagiC Documentation Project: http://www.whalley.demon.co.uk/atari/mdp/

Ghostscript and PDF files

Post by Derryck Croke » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Michael said:

Quote:>University, which are in PDF files on class web sites.  I've tried to set up
>Ghostscript on my Falcon, but have had little  success geting it to do what I want.
>If I download a PDF file, and  try to view it, I get some kind of error and all sorts
>of junk on the  screen that I don't understand. I've

Presumably all kinds of error messages? Make sure that you can read the sample
PostScript files supplied before attempting anything more. That will at least prove
that your installation is correct.

Unfortunately GS' PDF reading abilities are lagging behind development of the PDF
format, so it's possible that you won't be able to read these files anyway.

Rgds, Derryck

   /  The Cheshunt Computer Club   /
  / The essential for your Atari  /
 /        Monthly meetings       /
/ http://www.cix.co.uk/~derryck /

1. PDF-FILES

This Was Typed By BRAM VAN KERKHOF On 06/08/98 :

BV> I recently got some so called pdf (Portable Document Format) files
BV> from a web page. The Acrobat reader is used to read this files. Is
BV> there a simular program for the Atari platform? Thanks in advance   am

Ghostscript is supposed to display PDF, but I think it really only works
with older (lower version) PDF files. None of the US government PDF files
I downloaded would display with Ghostscript. Older PDF files worked just
fine. Load your PDF into Gemhexed (or a data editor, whatever) to see what
the version is.

_  4 Dave Gostl             11  1549  80%  1:214/80

http://www.sstar.com/d

... Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.
/// ReJoinDer v1.4 ( Registered )

2. Help MVPs! Can only publish 4%, then quits.

3. Reading PDF files on Atari

4. Art and all that Jazz: there, frames promise at heavy drawers, unless they're easy

5. Reading WINXP.DOC & .PDF FILES

6. M$ jokes

7. PDF files

8. Convert pdf to lit file.