IBM version of 8-bit emulator

Post by Gerard Pinzo » Tue, 03 Mar 1992 03:30:09

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 8-bit emulator for the IBM?

Is it a FULL spreed version?
--
   _______   ________   ________   "Small nose, loose girls, no *s, (.|.)
  /   ___/  /  _____/  /  __   /   Iczer curls!"  -=-  Gerard Pinzone     ).(

/______/  /_______/  /__/ /__/       Join the ECA Wehrmacht! Kill CM!     \|/

Post by Dawn Scotti » Wed, 04 Mar 1992 13:08:35

>Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 8-bit emulator for
>the IBM?

If anyone knows if there IS such an emulator then I would like to know
about it too please.

      OR

IBM version of 8-bit emulator

Post by Matthew Fra » Tue, 03 Mar 1992 23:53:22

Quote:

>Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 8-bit emulator for the IBM?

>Is it a FULL spreed version?
>--

If anyone has any information, I'd like it too, please.

Matthew Frank

Post by Oscar Fowl » Wed, 04 Mar 1992 05:45:49

> >Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 8-bit emulator for the IBM?

> >Is it a FULL spreed version?

Branch Always Software made the ST Xformer and there were rumors of a versin
for the PC.  I talked to Darek several months ago, and he didn't seem to
e*d about it, but the flier I got from the would indicate that they have
created such a program.  I suggest contacting them or maybe posting a
message on comp.sys.atari.st
;

IBM version of 8-bit emulator

Post by Kit Kim » Wed, 04 Mar 1992 15:01:24

Quote:

> Branch Always Software made the ST Xformer and there were rumors of a versin
> for the PC.  I talked to Darek several months ago, and he didn't seem to
> e*d about it, but the flier I got from the would indicate that they have
> created such a program.  I suggest contacting them or maybe posting a
> message on comp.sys.atari.st

I also talked to Derek a couple of times about his MS-DOS emulator for
the 8-bit Atari.  He told me that he had tried to get Atari's approval
to release it but their either refused or wouldn't give him a definite
yes or no.  I don't remember which.  Anyway, he said that he wouldn't
release even a beta version without approval.  I don't know why Atari
would care since they have dropped ALL support for the 8bit.  :-(

On a related note, does anyone know what the status of the 8bit hardware
emulator that DataQue had proposed?  I don't remember their code for it
but it is (or will be) a plug in card for the MS-DOS machines that allow
the running of Atari 8bit software.  It was to be essentially an Atari
8bit computer on a pc card.  I mailed a message to them indicating that
I was definitely interested, but have heard no more.  I didn't send a
deposit as was suggested.

Kit Kimes
AT&T Bell Labs (under contract to NCR)
Naperville, IL

IBM version of 8-bit emulator

Post by Ryan 'Gozar' Colli » Wed, 04 Mar 1992 22:59:24

Quote:> Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 8-bit emulator for the IBM?

> Is it a FULL spreed version?

     Darek explicitly stated (at Chicago) that his 8-bit emulator for
MS-DOS would NOT be distributed due to legal difficulties with Atari and
the XL/XE operating system. It did run at close to full speed if not at
full speed on his 386sx laptop he had at the show.

Later.......

------======={{{{{{{{((((((Ryan 'Gozar' Collins))))))))}}}}}}}}=======--------

Power Without The Price                                    R.COLLINS1 on GEnie
------======={{{{{{{{(((((( My 1040STF Rocks!! ))))))))}}}}}}}}=======--------

Post by Jeff McWilliam » Wed, 04 Mar 1992 21:11:05

>> Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 8-bit emulator for the IBM?

>> Is it a FULL spreed version?

>     Darek explicitly stated (at Chicago) that his 8-bit emulator for
>MS-DOS would NOT be distributed due to legal difficulties with Atari and
>the XL/XE operating system. It did run at close to full speed if not at
>full speed on his 386sx laptop he had at the show.

Gee, funny how it takes a processor with "the Trememdous horsepower"
like the 386SX chip to even come close to running at full speed an
emulation of the Atari 8 bit.  What does that tell you, folks?

Jeff McWilliams

Post by Oscar Fowl » Thu, 05 Mar 1992 07:38:15

> On a related note, does anyone know what the status of the 8bit hardware
> emulator that DataQue had proposed?  I don't remember their code for it
> but it is (or will be) a plug in card for the MS-DOS machines that allow
> the running of Atari 8bit software.  It was to be essentially an Atari
> 8bit computer on a pc card.  I mailed a message to them indicating that
> I was definitely interested, but have heard no more.  I didn't send a
> deposit as was suggested.

Yes, I was really looking forward to this little puppy, but Chuck at DataQue
appears uninterested in his old projects lately.  There has been no word on
any of the wonderful things he mentioned he was going to work on.  When I
asked him about it on GEnie, he simply said he didn't think it was going to
be released and gave no explanations.  Maybe if we all bugged him about itt,
he'd at least tell us what happened to the project.  He had mentioned having
working boards made up at one point, maybe he'd be willing to sell the
plans... (I doubt it...)

I was also really looking forward to his 'C' compiler on a cartridge, but
this too has been postponed indefinitely.

Post by Dave Litchm » Wed, 04 Mar 1992 22:34:12

> Branch Always Software made the ST Xformer and there were rumors of a versin
> for the PC.  I talked to Darek several months ago, and he didn't seem to
> e*d about it, but the flier I got from the would indicate that they have
> created such a program.  I suggest contacting them or maybe posting a
> message on comp.sys.atari.st

I know BRAsoft is developing an ST emulator for IBMs, called (currently)
GEMulator, but I don't know of any plans for a IBM 8-bit emulator...

Remember: Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend.

Post by moon!cyberden!phb.. » Thu, 05 Mar 1992 01:03:48

> Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 8-bit emulator for the IBM?

> Is it a FULL spreed version?
> --

IS THERE ONE?!  I know of the 130xec, which is a card (in development las
I recall).  With 130xec, you can have 4 8-bit cards running at once on a
VGA monitor, since it has a res of 640x400, and the 8-bit has 320x192.
IT sounds pretty cool, but seems so early in development that it
shouldn't be out any time soon.  Am I wrong?  What else is up on this??
thnx

_______________________________________
| PhBill:  Bill Kendrick     Atari /|\|

| 20 so miles North of         8-bits |
| San Francisco, in beautiful   ROCK! |
|_______Marin!________________________|

IBM version of 8-bit emulator

Post by Jeff Pott » Fri, 06 Mar 1992 03:08:49

While I was in Chicago for the Atari Computerfest I did see Darek Mihochka.
On Bob Puff's insistence he did show us an 8-bit emulator executing on a
386SX laptop.  It was apparently running Atari BASIC.  Darek may still be

--
Jeff Potter

Post by Mike Farr » Fri, 06 Mar 1992 13:11:47

>Gee, funny how it takes a processor with "the Trememdous horsepower"
>like the 386SX chip to even come close to running at full speed an
>emulation of the Atari 8 bit.  What does that tell you, folks?

It tells you only that to implement custom graphics chips entirely
in software is no easy task.  Figure out a way to interface the Atari
800 chipset to the IBM bus, and you'd have one hell of a screaming
system, eh?  Without that, it'd take something like a 386 to get
the necessary stuff done in time...

Post by un037.. » Sun, 08 Mar 1992 11:26:02

>>Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 8-bit emulator for the IBM?

>>Is it a FULL spreed version?
>>--

> If anyone has any information, I'd like it too, please.

> Matthew Frank

        The last I heard was the author (I'm sorry, I don't know his name) was
prohibited by Atari from distributing the software because it contained
"Official" 8-bit code.  Atari will only allow emulators to be distributed for
other machines by them (I.E. ST/TT).
                                Mephistopheles

IBM version of 8-bit emulator

Post by moon!cyberden!phb.. » Fri, 06 Mar 1992 23:42:56

I could ask Atari about it on Atari Base (once I figure out their damned
new software!).  I asked if they'd sell the rights to it to a company or
something, because they've ended their support, but they said that "they
still sell pretty well in European countries"..  I said "yeah, but how
many years does someone over there have to work to afford one!?".. (saw
some note of that sort in AE or ANTIC or something...)

As for the 130xec (the card), it seems to be in a very developmental
state.  I recall that I heard about it on the ICNet on the carina II
place around here (WCS), but they died, so I can't reach that net.  I
think ABase is on Z*net now, so anyone on it can possibly reach Atari.
Try for Bob Brodie.. he's been "taking the helm" there since they decided
to get the new software.
                                        Bill Kendrick

_______________________________________

Post by moon!cyberden!phb.. » Sun, 08 Mar 1992 22:31:09

> > Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the 8-bit emulator for the IBM?

>      Darek explicitly stated (at Chicago) that his 8-bit emulator for
> MS-DOS would NOT be distributed due to legal difficulties with Atari and

So, he actually talked with Atari?  They've been talking about the 1600xl
with them.  Is this emulator card or software or what??  Is it the
130xec?

______________________________________
| PhBill: Bill Kendrick      Atari/|\|

| 20 so miles North of         8-bits|
|_San_Francisco,_in_Marin.______ROCK!|

1. IBM version of 8-bit emulator

Accualy I know af an Apple 2 emulator for the IBM, and an AMiga one.  Both don'T
work as well as the original, and on one you need to find your own OS. The Atari
emulator isn'T really new.  In fact I got the source for one.  ANyway, the IBM
can do emulations, but most people want into IBM software whatever the system,
not into another.

 * Origin: FlightLine BBS Mpls,MN SDN USRdual 612-544-5118 (1:282/47.0)

2. SMS Service Pack 4

3. Alternate Reality Atari 8-bit and/or IBM version wanted

4. CASE: UML vs ER & DFD's

5. Atari 8-bit to IBM emulator

6. pentascanner trade in

7. Atari 8-bit emulator for IBM?

8. Unable to Open "Tool"???

9. Atari 8-Bit CD-RoM for IBM

10. Atari 8-bit --> IBM?

11. 8-bit to ibm

12. Atari 8-bit/8-bit/7800 software Cheap

13. IBM keyboards can be used on 8-bit Atari computers.