Smalltalk ??

Post by Joep Mathijss » Thu, 03 May 1990 21:09:32

From: gnu.announce:

Quote:> I am happy to announce the availibility of GNU Smalltalk, version 1.0.
> ...GNU Smalltalk is a reasonably complete
> implementation of the Smalltalk-80 language defined in ...
> ..and was even recently ported to an Atari ST. ...

Has somebody already seen this smalltalk on a ST???

Joep Mathijssen
TNO Institute for Perception
P.O. Box 23                     Phone : +31 34 63 562 11

The Netherlands                     or: uunet!mcvax!tnosoes!joep

Smalltalk ??

Post by Graham Higgi » Fri, 04 May 1990 19:15:22

It is available on dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (that's J. Bammi's m/c). Only having a
1040 (at the moment) I can't run it myself.

--

Graham
======

Graham Higgins                  |  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060

Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

Smalltalk ??

Post by Carsten Schie » Sun, 06 May 1990 17:53:17

>Has somebody already seen this smalltalk on a ST???

Yes, seen. If I get my 4MB in the next days, I'll tell you, whether
it works.

As maybe already mentioned, there is a special price for students
and universities for Smalltalk-80 from ParcPlaceSystems at Georg
Heeg at Unido. The normal distribution is about DM 400,-. I do not
know, whether he is allowed to distribute it outside Germany.

CU Carsten.
unido!imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.dbp.de!schiers
unido!netmbx!mcshh!schiers

Smalltalk ??

Post by William Edward June » Tue, 08 May 1990 07:28:17

Quote:>CU Carsten.
>Smalltalk-80 from ParcPlaceSystems at Georg Heeg at Unido.
>I do not know, whether he is allowed to distribute it outside Germany.

Bummer that, now there's two I want! SmallTalk & Turbo C, boy Atari USA sure
should ENCOURAGE dealers to import this STuff, though I'd NEED English docs.

Ed June

    ^should be buggs, sorry............

Smalltalk ??

Post by #Stefan Bache » Wed, 09 May 1990 15:56:43

Quote:> The normal distribution is about DM 400,-.

      ^^^^^^

A friend of mine bought smalltalk a year ago. And if things didnot
change the above statement isn't quite correct.
This is NOT the normal distribution. This is a special price
for students. The NORMAL price is about DM 2400.

Stefan

PS:
        Add DM 200 for books, the manual is not valuable for
        learning smalltalk

Smalltalk ??

Post by Carsten Schie » Thu, 10 May 1990 23:48:58

Quote:>Bummer that, now there's two I want! SmallTalk & Turbo C, boy Atari USA sure
>should ENCOURAGE dealers to import this STuff, though I'd NEED English docs.

ParcPlace Systems is located at Palo Alto. Therefore Documentation is in
English. Thanks god, all this foreign people understand English. Fine,
isn't it? O.K., ask them, whether they'll sell it for the same
students nice price. It's normaly at aprx. US$ 1000,-. Images are
interchangeable with Sun and all the other big brothers.

Post by Carsten Schie » Sat, 12 May 1990 05:11:45

>> The normal distribution is about DM 400,-.
>      ^^^^^^
>A friend of mine bought smalltalk a year ago. And if things didnot
>change the above statement isn't quite correct.
>This is NOT the normal distribution. This is a special price
>for students. The NORMAL price is about DM 2400.

For the special price you get the normal distribution. Everthing clear
now? It was meant to be aware of the fact that nothing is missing.

Quote:>PS:
>    Add DM 200 for books, the manual is not valuable for
>    learning smalltalk

Indeed. This also proves for GNU-Smalltalk.

Post by Carsten Schie » Sat, 12 May 1990 05:19:35

>> The normal distribution is about DM 400,-.
>This is NOT the normal distribution. This is a special price
>for students. The NORMAL price is about DM 2400.

For the special price you get the normal distribution. Everthing clear
now? It was meant to be aware of the fact that nothing is missing.

Quote:>    Add DM 200 for books, the manual is not valuable for
>    learning smalltalk

Indeed. This also proves for GNU-Smalltalk.

And now, I have to tell you how nice I find ParcPlace
Smalltalk-80, since otherwise I have included more
than I tell you now. And then, the mailing system
would reject this a third time.

I think this is crazy, since I had to include that much
to give the context.

CU Carsten.
unido!imdm.uke.uni-hamburg.dbp.de!schiers
unido!netmbx!mcshh!schiers

1. C++ and Smalltalk for atari-st

I am looking for a C++ or/and smalltalk
compiler for Atari-1040-st
PD will be best but I would like to hear from any
moderately priced compilers.
Are there any C++ front ends that will generate
K & R C ?

Thank in advance for any info you can provide me with.

2. OS/2 & 32bit apps

3. Smalltalk

4. Parallel Computing Links

5. generate 2 independent, uncorrelated, orthogonal gaussian random signal

6. How to install Smalltalk 1.1

7. "Application/MS-TNEF" attached document ?

8. OO-GEM Proposal and Smalltalk-80 question

9. Smalltalk on the Atari ?

10. Smalltalk-80 and Spectre GCR

11. Smalltalk

12. Smalltalk-80 Atari Mega ST available (Re: Two questions)