Atari ST - SCSI, Zip drive, Akai S2000 question

Atari ST - SCSI, Zip drive, Akai S2000 question

Post by Steve Stuppl » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

writes

>Hello,

>Would it be possible to get some kind of SCSI adaptor and use my ST as part
>of a SCSI chain, something like this:

> Akai S2000 <----> Iomega Zip 100 <----> Atari ST w\SCSI adaptor
>(Terminated)                                  (Terminated)

>Would it be difficult to terminate the chain at the Atari end?

>Ideally I would like to be able to use a Zip disk as an HD for my ST, and also
>send SCSI sample dumps (from Avalon or Zero-X) to my Akai.

>Could someone recommend a good PD/freeware HD driver that I could use with my
>Zip drive in the chain described above?

As I share a SCSI EZ drive between ST and pc, I have tried the idea, it
failed.

This would be brilliant if someone can come up with the solution, as
this would mean I can keep both the machines linked up!

--
                              Cheers! for now
                                   Steve

      The Atari ST Software exchange: www.steverosie.demon.co.uk

Nick: Mocknbird  Tel: (+44) 07971 742708
ICQ: 18116827    IRC Channels: #atariscne #atari #30+ #wales

       Location: Narberth, Pembrokeshire, Wales, United Kingdom

Post by Stichting » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>writes
>>Hello,

>>Would it be possible to get some kind of SCSI adaptor and use my ST as part
>>of a SCSI chain, something like this:

>> Akai S2000 <----> Iomega Zip 100 <----> Atari ST w\SCSI adaptor
>>(Terminated)                                  (Terminated)

>>Would it be difficult to terminate the chain at the Atari end?

>>Ideally I would like to be able to use a Zip disk as an HD for my ST, and also
>>send SCSI sample dumps (from Avalon or Zero-X) to my Akai.

>>Could someone recommend a good PD/freeware HD driver that I could use with my
>>Zip drive in the chain described above?

>As I share a SCSI EZ drive between ST and pc, I have tried the idea, it
>failed.

>This would be brilliant if someone can come up with the solution, as
>this would mean I can keep both the machines linked up!

>--

As far as I can see: HDDRiver software and the Link adaptor should be
able to allow two masters on the bus.
But it also can be a problem of the ZIP especially if he is of the
Plus type i.e. intelligent knowing when parallel port and when SCSI
is used and also knowing if SCSI-termination is possible.
Its intellligence in this has been reported to fail sometimes.

Any one a real good solution?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Ronald van der Kamp
secretaris Stichting ST

Post by Uwe Seime » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> As far as I can see: HDDRiver software and the Link adaptor should be
> able to allow two masters on the bus.

This is only possible with the LINK97 (not LINK96 or any other!) host
adapter. The link adapter has to care for everything in this case, not
the software. Two initiators (there is no "master" in SCSI terms)
supported by software are possible with SCSI, not with ST ACSI. In this
case the hardware must handle everything and the only hardware that can
do this for the ST/STE is the LINK97.

          Dr. Uwe Seimet     | I really hate this damned machine,

     WWW: http://acp5.chemie.uni-kl.de/seimet/index.html

Post by Steve Stuppl » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>> As far as I can see: HDDRiver software and the Link adaptor should be
>> able to allow two masters on the bus.

>This is only possible with the LINK97 (not LINK96 or any other!) host
>adapter. The link adapter has to care for everything in this case, not
>the software. Two initiators (there is no "master" in SCSI terms)
>supported by software are possible with SCSI, not with ST ACSI. In this
>case the hardware must handle everything and the only hardware that can
>do this for the ST/STE is the LINK97.

Sob! Sob! Sob!

Anyone want a ICD Link II with software, manual etc... for a p/x or
straight swap on a Link 97;) Pretty please.

The Link II's cost more than the Link '97's!

Cash is a little short my end but I am willing to make up with
PD/shareware software or something, as this will make my life a whole
lot easier if I can link Atari + SCSI + PC.

Mr HD Driver, any idea why HD driver doesn't detect a PD drive (ICD
does) v7.51!

--
                              Cheers! for now
                                   Steve

      The Atari ST Software exchange: www.steverosie.demon.co.uk

Nick: Mocknbird  Tel: 07971 742708
ICQ: 18116827    IRC Channels: #atariscne #atari #30+ #wales

       Location: Narberth, Pembrokeshire, Wales, United Kingdom

Atari ST - SCSI, Zip drive, Akai S2000 question

Post by Graham 'Roll The Dice' Harris » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

The problem does not just lie in the termination.  What you are
attempting is part of SCSI clustering.  2 Hosts and a number of
devices in between.

If your aim is to have one OR the other machines powered up, then the
problem is with termination.  SCSI devices tend only to be terminated
when powered up, that goes for host controllers as well.  So the
solution would be to place terminator in.

<TERM>--<ST>--<ZIP>--<PC?>--<TERM>

How easy that is in actuallity, kinda tricky on the ST side if I
remember correctly,

If your intentions is to have both machines powered on, then the
problem lies with the host controllers.  They need to support other
controllers on the same chain, and one of them has to be able to take
a SCSI Id other than 7.

<ST Host (Id 7)>--<ZIP (ID 5)--<disk>--<PC host (id 6)>

I haven't had chance to try it on my setup.  But I don't think that it
will work.  If you get a chance, try it and let me know the results.
I have a bit of experience with SCSI clustering, as it is we use it a
lot in the DEC (now Compaq) Alpha solutions that my full time job
involves me in.

How this has helped.  Let me know (by e-mail if poss) how you get on.

Graham,

--

Graham Harrison, Partner in AstraWare (Formally AstraSoft)

Find us at www.astraware.com, something for everyone
(Well PC, Atari ST/F/FM/E/Mega/Mega E/TT/Falcon, Palm)

1. Sample editor for AKAI S2000?

Hello,

Is there a sample editor available for ordinary ST's with which you
can `remote control' an AKAI S2000?  Note: I know virtually nothing
about this subject, I'm asking this for a friend.  Please say there
is, as that will keep one more person from switching to PC. :-(

Regards and thanks in advance,
--

*/K*%(K,K2MMPL%2HLH,4LLLL$4HLF$4RLLS$4HL%;5MLLD$5HL&<5MLPL$5HLHL2R,/K$2(K,+";
int _=0,__,K;for(;_<10;_++){for(__=0;__<11;__++)for(K=0;K<6;)putchar(c[11*_+\

2. smrsh: wrapper not available for sendmail programs

3. Using a Zip drive parallel or scsi with an Atari -ST

4. Dilemma...

5. Supra Atari Drive seems scsi aware, Zip friendly?

6. Help on LUNs (SCSI Sub-IDs) on SGI machines

7. How do you format scsi Zip drive for Atari AND IBM?

8. Epsilon documentation...

9. Q: iomega SCSI ZIP: How to read ZIP discs with DOS format/partition

10. Q: Bootable SCSI Zip drive?

11. Re IOMEGA ZIP SCSI DRIVE 100 MB

12. SCSI/ZIP Drive-Drivers

13. Can I use my SCSI Zip Drive with my 520ST?