Shell scripts not executing

Post by Theodore L Hopm » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

After recently toasting half of my hard drive (Backups? What are those?
:) ), I'm taking the opportunity to re-install MintOS and all its
assorted bits. I'm trying to get ppp 2.2.0e installed. However, the very
nice scripts which came with the package won't run. What I mean is if I
type ppp-on at the command line, I get a file not found error. If I type
sh ppp-on, it works fine, except the dialler, which is also in a script,
it not executed. I think I have the permissions set correctly, sh is in
my /bin directory, and my PATH env. var. is set up to include both /bin
and /usr/ucb, which is where ppp-on is. I'm using bash; I was using tcsh
before, and my old script (from ppp-2.1.2) worked fine under it. Any
suggestions, anyone?

THeo

Shell scripts not executing

Post by Paul Civa » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> After recently toasting half of my hard drive (Backups? What are those?
> :) ), I'm taking the opportunity to re-install MintOS and all its
> assorted bits. I'm trying to get ppp 2.2.0e installed. However, the very
> nice scripts which came with the package won't run. What I mean is if I
> type ppp-on at the command line, I get a file not found error. If I type

Executable scripts (ie. non binaries) will usually have a line at very
beginning which specifies what program will be run for the contents of
the file.  eg. something like..

#!/bin/sh

for a normal shell script, or

#!/usr/bin/perl (usually perl 4)

or

#!/usr/local/bin/perl (usually perl 5)

The file not found error is ususally that the o/s can't find the
executable as defined in the #! line.

Quote:> sh ppp-on, it works fine, except the dialler, which is also in a script,
> it not executed. I think I have the permissions set correctly, sh is in
> my /bin directory, and my PATH env. var. is set up to include both /bin

All sounds ok there, so probably not the above problem.

Quote:> and /usr/ucb, which is where ppp-on is. I'm using bash; I was using tcsh
> before, and my old script (from ppp-2.1.2) worked fine under it. Any
> suggestions, anyone?

Hmm, I seem to remember (and I didn't really understand why) someone
mentioning this before.  Basically MiNTOS doesn't understand the #!
and you need a modified shell to get it to work.  So I'd guess that's
the problem and you need to find a MiNTOS'ified tcsh.

-Paul-

--

Post by Brad Be » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: Hmm, I seem to remember (and I didn't really understand why) someone
: mentioning this before.  Basically MiNTOS doesn't understand the #!
: and you need a modified shell to get it to work.  So I'd guess that's
: the problem and you need to find a MiNTOS'ified tcsh.

It seems to work OK with the KGMD distribution. I haven't any problems with
shell scripts yet.

Brad

Post by Andreas Schw » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Paul Civati writes:

|> Hmm, I seem to remember (and I didn't really understand why) someone
|> mentioning this before.  Basically MiNTOS doesn't understand the #!
|> and you need a modified shell to get it to work.  So I'd guess that's
|> the problem and you need to find a MiNTOS'ified tcsh.

Actually this is emulated in the MiNT library, so you don't have to change
the shell if it uses the Unix API.
--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something

1. Shells, shells, shells

Hello.
Here's my next newbie situation.  Well, it's not a real
situation.  I'm trying to write programs using Sozobon C.  As
anyone knows, it's generally good to have a shell program because
cc doesn't pause before it exits and you can't see any error
codes.  So, here's the deal.  I'm using something called gulam
that acts kind of like a csh in Unix.  Does anybody use anything
different?  Is there something better?  I normally use bash in a
unix environment and I'm more familiar with that.  But, I think
my preference would be something simple, kind of like a DOS shell
or something.  Thanks.
-Tom Rosso

2. Epson Stylus Color IIs and Word5.5(DOS)

3. Sozobon C does not work with Mupfel (Gemini Shell)

4. UC to LC filenames

5. Okami Shell - NOT with VI, NO ARGV/xARG support!

6. BinHex 4.0?

7. Executing commands in ARC prgs. re: subdirs.

8. Old EZ-KIT...Junk?

9. AHDI in auto folder: no auto PRG's executed

10. Making the IKBD execute a program

11. Advice on Post Script schematic needed

12. Brush Script for PGS v2.xx

13. OASIS and ZETNET dial scripts