What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by Jach » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:22:15

Please,

I was using my Atari 130XE many years ago, Really I enjoyed with it.
But, In this times where the PCs and MACs are being the most useful
computers, How may I get the maximun benefit from my old loved Atari?
What kind of task or use may I get from my Atari?

Thanks for your answer,

Jach

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Charles Richmon » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:35:36

> Please,

> I was using my Atari 130XE many years ago, Really I enjoyed with it.
> But, In this times where the PCs and MACs are being the most useful
> computers, How may I get the maximun benefit from my old loved Atari?
> What kind of task or use may I get from my Atari?

Hey...games are always good!!! Get a copy of Star Raiders and blast
away!!!  How about PacMan??? You could get the old 8-bit word processor
and keep your journal on your Atari... Get an Action! cartridge and type
in some of the games from the old Antic magazines. Type in some of the
BASIC games from the old magazines like Compute! (Some magazines are
available at WEB sites as graphics files...)

I am *not* familiar with the 130XE, but maybe it can use the old 800
cartidge games??? If you play chess, get a chess program for the 130XE.
Then get a chess program for the PC, and let the two programs play
each other.

Amaze your friends that these old machines from back in the Stone Age
(circa 20 years ago) could do anything remotely interesting...

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by Rick Cortes » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:26:05

I saw where someone converted an Atari 800 into a wall clock. I guess in the
geek olympics he would get at least a silver medal.

Quote:> Please,

> I was using my Atari 130XE many years ago, Really I enjoyed with it.
> But, In this times where the PCs and MACs are being the most useful
> computers, How may I get the maximun benefit from my old loved Atari?
> What kind of task or use may I get from my Atari?

> Thanks for your answer,

> Jach

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by Pocket » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:12:39

I second the games option.
The XE range has a cart port at the back, baring the occational coding
niggles with a few early games, it shold play almost all the 400/800/xl
games whatever the format.

These things were ment to be used, and played with, i would like to keep it
that way with mine as long as possible!

after all a great game is a great game.

An man who still plays Mule on the odd idle evening :)

> > Please,

> > I was using my Atari 130XE many years ago, Really I enjoyed with it.
> > But, In this times where the PCs and MACs are being the most useful
> > computers, How may I get the maximun benefit from my old loved Atari?
> > What kind of task or use may I get from my Atari?

> Hey...games are always good!!! Get a copy of Star Raiders and blast
> away!!!  How about PacMan??? You could get the old 8-bit word processor
> and keep your journal on your Atari... Get an Action! cartridge and type
> in some of the games from the old Antic magazines. Type in some of the
> BASIC games from the old magazines like Compute! (Some magazines are
> available at WEB sites as graphics files...)

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by Pocket » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:13:53

Quote:> I saw where someone converted an Atari 800 into a wall clock. I guess in
the
> geek olympics he would get at least a silver medal.

I do hope that the 800 had died first, otherwise Philistine! :)

Ok, its his baby, he can do what he wants.

JP

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by Edward S. Baiz J » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:57:13

Quote:>Please,

>I was using my Atari 130XE many years ago, Really I enjoyed with it.
>But, In this times where the PCs and MACs are being the most useful
>computers, How may I get the maximun benefit from my old loved Atari?
>What kind of task or use may I get from my Atari?

I would imagine that it still could be used for games, word processing and
spreadsheet applications. There is a gent in our Atari club that still to
this day, uses his 8-bit for accounting purposes.
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)
HADES 060: 140meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
 Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by Operator Jac » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 01:48:01

If you have a nailed up connection to the internet, you could always get a
SIO2PC cable and run a telnettable bbs :)

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by Mirko Sob » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:29:51

Give it a graphical OS. You can find it on my homepage www.atarixle.de
(mostly in german).

Quote:> Please,

> I was using my Atari 130XE many years ago, Really I enjoyed with it.
> But, In this times where the PCs and MACs are being the most useful
> computers, How may I get the maximun benefit from my old loved Atari?
> What kind of task or use may I get from my Atari?

> Thanks for your answer,

> Jach

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by kena.. » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 02:32:33

gads! it looks like M$ has spread to your computer! get out the
antivirus program, quick!

Anyway, an english page would be a nice touch. Is the gos also in
german?

Ken

> www.atarixle.de

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by Jach » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:25:51

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answers.

Which are the best programs for spreadsheets, word processing and
graphics?
and Where may I download them?
Where is the best site for download games?

Thanks for your answers

Post by William Kendric » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:35:44

: Hello,

: Thank you very much for your answers.

: Which are the best programs for spreadsheets, word processing and
: graphics?
: and Where may I download them?
: Where is the best site for download games?

I run "XL Search."  It's a searchable index of quite a few Atari 8-bit
FTP sites (and websites with file collections).  Over 21,000 files are
indexed on about a dozen sites.

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/xlsearch/

Good luck! :)

-bill!

Post by Mirko Sob » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:10:09

> gads! it looks like M$ has spread to your computer! get out the
> antivirus program, quick!

> Anyway, an english page would be a nice touch. Is the gos also in
> german?

> Ken

> > www.atarixle.de

M$ Windows is no freeware

What use may I give to my old loved Atari?

Post by Mirko Sob » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:14:42

Quote:> Hello,

> Thank you very much for your answers.

> Which are the best programs for spreadsheets, word processing and
> graphics?

for word processing, I use Textpro. Downloadable as PD
(www.atari-computer.de/abbuc, follow the links to PD-download). The site is
in german, but you will find the english version in the PD-library.

Quote:> and Where may I download them?
> Where is the best site for download games?

look at www.atarixle.de/links and follow the link named ATARI-8-Bit-Games.
Quote:

> Thanks for your answers

> Jach

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Sky High Bids for old Atari on Ebay (Give me a Break)

I have been in Atari since the 1980's when I got my first 800xl and I
paid $269.  Now I see 800's going for $315 and an XE for $176.  This
is absolutely crazy.  The people on ebay need to read the newsgroup or
at least shop around.
Actually if those prices stay as insane as they are, I will super
video all my atari's, add a little ram, through a happy in on the
deal, and in seven days of bidding pay off all my loans for
college!!!!
I'm sure that would go for a couple grand!

I will get off my soap box now.

Thanks, Brad

2. SMTP MAIL

3. Using a SCSI drive on old Berkeley Microsystems BMS-100

4. NDIS 4.0 Drivers?

5. Using ESDI drive with old ICD card???

6. Can't compile C++ program with gcc

7. Using an old Protar host adapter with a new Hard Disk

8. Trident Users, Watch

9. Looking for info about using old PC hard disks with STs.

10. If you love ATARI : read this !!

11. I YOU LOVE ATARI READ THIS

12. Same old...same old...vol

13. Same old...same old...volume 3