On 'bandwidth' and 'under-rated games'

Post by James R. Gilbe » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

(On various threads.)
PEOPLE, I really suggest and think it would be a good idea
to stop commenting on the '8000 * pictures' thread. As
someone pointed out, every followup to this thread is cross
posted to a bunch of newsgroups.  I don't even want to hear
about it anymore, it doesn't belong at all in csa8.
On this line of thought (wasted 'bandwidth'.) M. Current has
told me he's going to try to figure a way to decrease the
'bandwidth' of the FAQ and Vendor List. Now if the FAQ
keeper tries to keep the # of bytes down, I think we all
should be aware of this, like try not to re-post Terry
Ortman's entire for sale thing in a two line comment on it.
And M. J. Novak keeps posting his for sale list.  It seems
to be getting bigger and bigger and more and more frequent,
or maybe it's just my imagination.
Thanks for listening.
About 'under-rated games'.
Somebody mentioned Antic 'Mini-golf'.  Never saw it, but I'm
glad somebody is mentioning the little magazine and pd games
that were really the most fun for me.  I got lots of them,
yes I got the commercial cracked ones too, but I enjoyed the
magazine games more than the involved and more difficult
commercial games.
Along the lines of 'Mini-golf', There was/is a really neat
'Golf' game that was published on an AC (Atari Classics)
disk that was extremely well done and playable.  Although
frustrating to me, I almost finished the game, a real stick
with it for me.
AC disks aren't pd and I think this game came from Germany
(or Poland), but it may be around. I really don't know the
(c) status of this game, don't remember and it is packed
away and I don't have access to it readily to send it to
anybody.
I just read another large for sale of TI, Apple ][,
IBM, etc.  A week or so ago I sent the 'How to advertise
on usenet' msg from news.announce.newusers to a couple
people who cross-posted their auctions here.  It worked,
these guys were kind enough to stop posting over 100k
of auctions per day.  A Mr. Hoffman asked me to try to
get a comp.sys.atari.forsale group going. I didn't want
to do that because I like to hear from, say, J. King
when he has a MIO or BB or MUX and say, Bill Kendrick
when he has a ???? or the little for sale ads. I like
to hear the little msgs. about Bob Klass repairs of
1050 and MIO.  (I don't think anyone else, not even
FTe, excuse me if I'm wrong, repairs MIOs.) I'm getting
fed up with the huge cross-posted mini-spams. I hope
others express something about this because I think it
is ruining the group. I know I take up my bandwidth, but
it is not with a huge cross-posted anything and it is
not just a re-post quote of somebody elses post(s).

On 'bandwidth' and 'under-rated games'

Post by John M. Vog » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: (On various threads.)
: ***************************************************
: About 'under-rated games'.
: Somebody mentioned Antic 'Mini-golf'.  Never saw it, but I'm
: glad somebody is mentioning the little magazine and pd games
: that were really the most fun for me.  I got lots of them,
: yes I got the commercial cracked ones too, but I enjoyed the
: magazine games more than the involved and more difficult
: commercial games.

Yessss! :)
I, for one, typed in the binary code for 'Retrofire' on an Atari *400*
with stock keyboard, and the program didn't even execute! :)  Later, got
ahold of a working copy on disk.  That game was a lot of fun :)

I also remember a good basic golf game (not minigolf).

: ********************************************************
: of auctions per day.  A Mr. Hoffman asked me to try to
: get a comp.sys.atari.forsale group going. I didn't want
: to do that because I like to hear from, say, J. King
: when he has a MIO or BB or MUX and say, Bill Kendrick
: when he has a ???? or the little for sale ads. I like
: to hear the little msgs. about Bob Klass repairs of
: 1050 and MIO.  (I don't think anyone else, not even

Count me in for leaving things as is (leave ads here).  I don't need to
buy any additional Atari equipment, but for some strange reason I like
reading them.

Regards,
John

Post by Kyle R. Hofman » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: : of auctions per day.  A Mr. Hoffman asked me to try to
: : get a comp.sys.atari.forsale group going. I didn't want
: : to do that because I like to hear from, say, J. King
: : when he has a MIO or BB or MUX and say, Bill Kendrick
: : when he has a ???? or the little for sale ads. I like
: : to hear the little msgs. about Bob Klass repairs of
: : 1050 and MIO.  (I don't think anyone else, not even

: Count me in for leaving things as is (leave ads here).  I don't need to
: buy any additional Atari equipment, but for some strange reason I like
: reading them.

  Well, that was actually me (BTW, you got my last name wrong), and it
was simply a suggestion.  If anybody does want to see the auctions go
somewhere else, I _do_ have experience with the RFD process, and am
willing to write and advocate an RFD.  This does require support, of
course - I'm not going to do it if there's no chance of it passing, but
if people want such a group, I will help.

        -Kyle R. Hofmann
                   ^  ^^

On 'bandwidth' and 'under-rated games'

Post by Scott Butl » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I haven't noticed that anyone's mentioned Xagon, which was apparently put out
by M.A.C.E. Australia. This is a very cool variation on the Q*Bert theme - you
have a little round guy with a hat and sunglasses (kinda Blues Brothers-ish),
and you hop around levels that are made up of hexagonal-shaped platforms that
move up and down. The object is to jump on the platforms and get them all down
to the same height, while avoiding the baddies that pursue you around the
level. To add to the challenge, some platforms move up and down, and others
are teleport platforms or quicksand  platforms. You can spring a bad guy from
an adjacent platform by hitting the trigger and moving the joystick in the
direction of the platform to "pop"....the catch being, of course, that you
have to jump on that platform another couple of times to get it back down.

Anyone else have this? It's quite well done....I'm surprised I've never seen
this mentioned anywhere.....

Scott

On 'bandwidth' and 'under-rated games'

Post by Kyle R. Hofman » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I haven't noticed that anyone's mentioned Xagon, which was apparently put out
: by M.A.C.E. Australia. This is a very cool variation on the Q*Bert theme - you
: have a little round guy with a hat and sunglasses (kinda Blues Brothers-ish),

[ snip ]

: Anyone else have this? It's quite well done....I'm surprised I've never seen
: this mentioned anywhere.....

  Yeah, I have this --- it ruled!  It was always lots of fun to play 2
player and spring the other guy way up.  He'd retaliate, of course, which
usually led to the entire level having to be redone again. :)  Those
baloons on the higher levels were tough though.  And there was some
"thing" (I don't know what to call it) on I think level 13 that appeared
as a bunch of characters --- it was _really_ fast, and I think I only got
to level 14 a couple of times, and level 15 once.  Boy, that was a good game!

        -Kyle R. Hofmann

Post by Robert Smith E » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>: (On various threads.)
>: ***************************************************
>: About 'under-rated games'.
>: Somebody mentioned Antic 'Mini-golf'.  Never saw it, but I'm
>: glad somebody is mentioning the little magazine and pd games
>: that were really the most fun for me.  I got lots of them,
>: yes I got the commercial cracked ones too, but I enjoyed the
>: magazine games more than the involved and more difficult
>: commercial games.

>Yessss! :)
>I, for one, typed in the binary code for 'Retrofire' on an Atari *400*
>with stock keyboard, and the program didn't even execute! :)  Later,
got
>ahold of a working copy on disk.  That game was a lot of fun :)

>I also remember a good basic golf game (not minigolf).

>: ********************************************************
>: of auctions per day.  A Mr. Hoffman asked me to try to
>: get a comp.sys.atari.forsale group going. I didn't want
>: to do that because I like to hear from, say, J. King
>: when he has a MIO or BB or MUX and say, Bill Kendrick
>: when he has a ???? or the little for sale ads. I like
>: to hear the little msgs. about Bob Klass repairs of
>: 1050 and MIO.  (I don't think anyone else, not even

>Count me in for leaving things as is (leave ads here).  I don't need
>buy any additional Atari equipment, but for some strange reason I like
>reading them.

>Regards,
>John

    I think I remembered who wrote Mini-Golf--Matt Ratcliff (Matt Rat),
Yeah, that's it.

On 'bandwidth' and 'under-rated games'

Post by Chris_F_Chi.. » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hey, yeah!  I've always loved Xagon, don't know where I got it, didn't
know where it originated until you guys just now discussed it!  I also
didn't know you could "spring" other platforms as you've described,
and I've never seen levels beyond about 3 or 4 (I'm not that good at it).
Unfortunately, the last time I played it -- just a few days ago, actually!
-- there was a problem in that one of the characters (players, as in
player/missile graphics) periodically sprang into the wrong "width" mode
and didn't fit the board, his own shadow, etc. -- and was very difficult
to position accurately because his "center" was visually in the wrong
place!  I hope my copy hasn't become corrupted; are there hardware or
OS model/version dependencies in Xagon?  I.e. must it be run on an 800
and not an 800XL, or that sort of thing?

Chris

1. On 'bandwidth' and 'under-rated game

KR> was simply a suggestion.  If anybody does want to see the auctions go
KR> somewhere else, I _do_ have experience with the RFD process, and am
KR> willing to write and advocate an RFD.  This does require support, of
KR> course - I'm not going to do it if there's no chance of it passing, but
KR> if people want such a group, I will help.

I would love to see the auctions gone from this group......I download mail
from the BBS I use to read Usenet sometimes and those definitly puts a load of
the QWWK packet!
--
|Fidonet:  Chris Friend 1:333/894

| Web URLs: http://www.pandabbs.com & http://www.tiac.net/users/panda
| Standard disclaimer applies: The views of this user are strictly their own.

2. stop quicktime

3. FA: Atari 400/800 '14' Tapes 'Rare Games' (ends 12/26)

4. Floptical icon problems

5. Basic 'B' to 'C' in an XL?

6. OldPalmVx vs New PalmVx???

7. I'm looking for 'Henry's House'...

8. Pointer verification...

9. Looking for 'man' and 'more'

10. Address Correction for 'Need HELP with "Dr. T's" seq...'

11. TeX - question about mf's, tfm's pk's etc....

12. If you aren't Remco Bruijne, hit 'n'

13. Those 'crippled' Mega2 ST's