Amiga

Post by phb.. » Tue, 16 Mar 1993 02:35:12

I saw my friend's Amiga today for the first time in at least a year.
He's added some pretty snazzy stuff to it (internal clock, OS swapping on
boot.. I can do that with the TV2/3 switch on my Bob Woolley'd 1200xl).

I was looking at some of the demos, though, and MAN, they look SOOO much
like the Atari Classic demos!  Better, of course... higher res, faster
code, etc., but the similarities astounded me.

Then again, they shouldn't, because the Amiga is more of an AC's big
brother than the ST/TT is.

Pretty cool.  Well.. here's a question..  lots of the screens do that
grad.ing, which are done by most AC's with either a multiple DLI to
change the colors, or a DLI to change the screen mode to Graphics 9 at
one point of the screen..

looks like these two:

black
black
dark dark grey
dark grey
grey
light grey
light light grey
white
white
white
white
white
light light grey
...etc.

or just:

black
black
dark dark grey
dark grey
grey
light grey
light light grey
white
light light grey
lig...etc.

Now.. who thought of it FIRST!?  Who's "copying" who!?

Or is it just a coincidence!? (cha-right! hehe)

Bill Kendrick           Novato, California      New Breed Software

Amiga

Post by Jeff McWillia » Tue, 16 Mar 1993 23:39:16

Bill,

Well, I really know nothing about the Amiga from first hand experience.
All  I know is what I catch from the Amiga vs ST flame wars that occur
so often in comp.sys.atari.st these days.  But from what I gather, the
Amiga uses a display list much like the Atari 8 bit does.

Interesting trivia and all, but well, I'd rather worry about Classic stuff
and leave the Amigas to the Amiga experts.

Jeff

--

The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone,
      In the ranks of death you'll find him;

Amiga

Post by Christian M. Reis » Wed, 17 Mar 1993 09:41:59

        The Amiga's copper lists are nearly analogous to
the 8bit's display list.  Both chip sets were designed by the same
people.

Amiga

Post by Eyvind Bernhards » Wed, 17 Mar 1993 21:50:25

 >   The Amiga's copper lists are nearly analogous to
 > the 8bit's display list.  Both chip sets were designed by the same
 > people.

Yep...  Jay Miner is God ;)

-Eyvind

--
     //|   A1200...  There IS a God! | DISCLAIMER:  My opinions belong to me.
    // |                             | Anybody else who feels this way should

Amiga

Post by phb.. » Fri, 19 Mar 1993 07:57:21

Quote:

>    The Amiga's copper lists are nearly analogous to
> the 8bit's display list.  Both chip sets were designed by the same
> people.

Are the Amiga's copper lists anything like the 7800's Maria, tho?  (which
can have a Display list OF a display list!!!)

Bill Kendrick           Novato, California      New Breed Software

1. Amiga OS on Atari? GEM on Amiga?

Hmmm, regarding this Amiga/Atari work together, exchanging OS's blah blah
blah... I just came across something called "AROS", which is an effort to
re-write the Amiga OS (Kickstart? wha? :) and even make it portable to
other platforms... Anyway, they claim %50 functionality or somesuch, and
source is available. So who's wants to do the Atari port? Why, I don't
know... :) But if anything it would be a Really Neat Hack... Take a look at
http://aros.fh-konstanz.de/~digulla/index.html

While I'm at it, whatever happened to those free AES replacements, oAESis
and xaAES or somesuch... (StuDly CapS, eH? :) No one seems to be talking
about them anymore, did these die off?

If for nothing else but hack value you wanted GEM on an Amiga, I would
think porting MiNT to the Maiga (hey, neat typo, for some strange reason
I'm compelled to leave it there...) wouldn't be that* hard... (famous last
words? :) Then you could plop xaaes on it and poof! GEM on an Amiga... Its
just that easy! <heavy sarcasm? your soaking in it!>

--
Email should go to a username of lerwick that belongs to yet another annoyed
spam victim at a server who is listed in the DNS as freenet.msp.mn.us

2. Panasonic CW-7502 CD-R (4x write, 8x read)

3. Atari 1040 ST, Amiga 500 & Amiga 3000 forsale

4. How can XML embbed an Excel file? Thank you very much!

5. WTT: Amiga TT030 for Amiga

6. MKS vi strangeness. Help.

7. Amiga, Mac, Atari

8. ir file transfer

9. Amiga will be back soon

10. Jeri and the C=1 at Baltimore Amiga Expo

11. Alternative Party: Atari 8 bits, ST, Amiga, C64 etc.

12. Amiga Mogul Manic 'Prototype' and Romox Copy Carts