How do you fix an atari 3.5" disk drive?

How do you fix an atari 3.5" disk drive?

Post by Nija - Chuenprate » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I want to know how to fix an Atari Disk Drive.  I read through all of
the manuals and they did not tell me how to fix a disk drive.  I have
an Atari 1040ST.  Thank you!

Post by Rory McMaho » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> I want to know how to fix an Atari Disk Drive.  I read through all of
> the manuals and they did not tell me how to fix a disk drive.  I have
> an Atari 1040ST.  Thank you!

first see if a 3.5" floppy cleaner will take care of it (and if you're afraid to take
the machine apart).  I took my drive apart the other day when it was having a hard time
formatting disk and found a flat dust bunny in there... once I took it out everything
was dandy!

                                                Rory

Post by Jim DeClerc » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I want to know how to fix an Atari Disk Drive.  I read through all of
: the manuals and they did not tell me how to fix a disk drive.  I have
: an Atari 1040ST.  Thank you!

If you are really determined to do something yourself, the thing that
usually goes wrong, in my experience, is the spindle bearings running
out of lubrication.  The drive turns too slow, and cannot write, but can
read, or some such nonsense.  If there is some glop showing around the
*that holds the flywheel one, it is a right hand screw, and a
jewelers torch will be needed.  If not, it is a left hand screw.

Get new bearings or bushings or whatever you find in there, at your
friendly local bearing supplier, and put them in.  Good bearings may cost
more than a new drive.  I, for reasons of my own, paid half again what a
new drive would cost for just two little bearings.

If it seems to read and write OK, but cannot read disks from any other
machine, it is an alignment problem.  Some of those can be fixed with
proper lubrication.  Proper means very little and in the right place.

The best person to ask about that is a technician in any local computer
store.  It is hard to describe in words the slots in the head
carrier assembly where the tiny drops of oil for the guide rod go, where
the index motor shaft that should get greased is, and where the head
opening tabs ride on the top plate.

Remember that oil is a conductor, for all practical disk drive purposes.
If you get any on a circuit board, you will wish you hadn't.
---------------------------------------------------_--------------------------
jimd1                                     __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____

                                        /   / \  / / / / /__ /  \/ /___  /

How do you fix an atari 3.5" disk drive?

Post by JEDI » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I want to know how to fix an Atari Disk Drive.  I read through all of
>the manuals and they did not tell me how to fix a disk drive.  I have
>an Atari 1040ST.  Thank you!

       Replace it. If you really feel that you must repair the mechanism itself:
       try to find a repair manual on PC floppy drives.

       Considering a replacement drive can easily be had for 50bux from
       Comp USA, et al.: it is probably not worth the effort...

How do you fix an atari 3.5" disk drive?

Post by KT Ye » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Just buy 1 pc of any IBM compatible 3.5 in 1.44MB Floppy Drive and replace
it with the faulty one. The ST casing may not fit your drive so some
cutting of the casing may be necessary.

Quote:> I want to know how to fix an Atari Disk Drive.  I read through all of
> the manuals and they did not tell me how to fix a disk drive.  I have
> an Atari 1040ST.  Thank you!

1. How do you fix an atari 3.5" disk drive?

If you can't find an Atari drive to replace it with, you can replace the drive
mechanism with an IBM compatible 720k mechanism. You may have to carve the
plastic on the front of the drive to allow for a different eject button, etc.

I've even got one here that you can have, if you want it; and for what it's
worth, Ive also got an Atari SF354 mechanism (single sided) that
you can have.

Lloyd Larson

2. Gaining IP address on a NT domain

3. Wanted : Atari St Disk Drive 3.5" 720kb

4. Server

5. non-standard 3.5" disk drive

6. ATARI 1040 ST Memory extension

7. 3.5" Disk Drive for 8-bit

8. Mysterious Double Messages, Double Posts

9. 720K 3.5" Disk Drive

10. Wanted: 800K 3.5" disk drive(s)

11. 2.5" drives in 3.5" spaces

12. How to fix a PC 3.5" for ST ?

13. *** WANTED *** 3.5" DS-DD Floppy drive for an Atari 520ST.