Postscript on the ST.

Post by F S Tayl » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 14:00:00

Hello there...

I recently posted to this group asking about postscript converters for
the ST. Due to end of year exams (that have at last finished!) I was
unable (time-wise) to post/mail replies to all those who requested
followup info. I also can't post internationally so for those of you
in the States and all the others I will summarize here and now.

Basically all the replies I received with info on the subject talked
about a program called

1wd2ps     (or, I think this is the same program.)
1stwd2ps

Apparently this can be obtained from PD libraries etc. It converts 1st
word format file to postscript. Someone posted a copy to me (thanks
beau :-). I have yet to get it to ST floppy (tomorrows task!) and try
it.

The other solution was to use something like TimeWorks DTP, but I
think (if I caught the gist of the discussion correctly) it will only
produce postscript with the aid of a harddisk. It also costs money!-).

That's all for now...

Thanks to all of you who mailed/posted replies, they were most
helpful.

Frank.
--
|    Frank Taylor    | Engineers often ponder upon the problem...             |
|       DoC 1        | Why do the girls with the most streamlined shape offer |

1. TeX DVI ---> PostScript, and a postscript

Hello. If you are not intersted in my question, but are interested
in the shareware Mac, read on anyway, because I talk about the latter
too.

Well, I've created my TeX .dvi file, but I've no idea how to turn it
into PostScript on my ST. Is a "dvi2ps" program available for the ST somewhere?
I've no facility whatsoever with C compilers, so sources aren't much use.
Also, I've downloaded everything in sight off the servers and can't find
a dvi to ps.  Any ideas anyone?

While I'm here, I should make a short postscript to a previous article I
posted about why I thought a shareware Mac emulator should not be pursued.
In it, I said that such a thing would hurt Dave Small, and it is not in any
ST user's interest to hurt Dave Small. Some people have interpreted this
as my saying that we don't have the "right" to make a shareware Mac emulator,
or that it would be "unethical." I'm not saying anything of the kind. I'M
SIMPLY SAYING THAT IT IS IN *OUR* *INTERESTS* NOT TO DEVELOP SUCH AN EMULATOR,
BECAUSE IT IS IN *OUR* *INTERESTS* NOT TO HURT DAVID SMALL'S BUSINESS. IT
IS, IN EFFECT, SELF-SERVING NOT TO DEVELOP THIS EMULATOR (I claim). I am not
rejecting capitalism, competition, etc. as someone implied (well, maybe I'm
saying competition wouldn't be fruitful in this case; it's not like Dave Small
could do any better than he's doing, so how will a competitor help?)

For those who say that "I'll save a lot of money [because I
won't have to buy Spectre]" please see my and
other people's postings on the subject...I think there are deeper issues
than money to be saved, and I don't even think there is much money to
be saved anyway.

Is anyone actually working on this Mac thing, and if they are would they care
to comment?

Dylan

2. Get Paid to Shop On-Line$$$$

3. Postscript (as opposed to PostScript)

4. Q: V.90 technology

5. Text->PostScript or PostScript driver/converter wanted

6. Security Question for FrontPage

7. Postscript Driver for Atari ST and SLM-804 laser printer ?

8. pass a hash to a subroutine

9. ST to Postscript conversion...

10. PostScript on the ST?

11. 1stw2ps also prints wordwriter ST docs to Postscript printer

12. dvi previewer capable of displaying postscript fonts on atari ST

13. Word Writer ST & PS (was: Calamus and Postscript)