Pak 68/3

Post by jyoun.. » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi..

  I called a local atari store to purchase the PAK68/3 board (Toad computers)
and
surprisingly, they didn't feel confident enough in the product to sell it to me
until they know more about it, so I decided to ask here for some of their
concerns.

First, they did not know how to reliably run the PAK at 50 mhz.  They are
selling an optional 'buffer board' which is supposed to facilitate this but
say they can't get any information on this procedure.

Second, I wanted a 68000 compatibility switch included and although they were
told by their distributor (System Solutions) that this is possible, their
technician was unable to make progress in actually doing the modification.

Also, does anyone know if Magic 3 can be put on roms and used as the on
board OS?  And finally, is their a PAK FAQ floating around somewhere as I
see alot of questions from interested users being posted.

Thanks...

Jeff

Pak 68/3

Post by Michael Schwing » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

j>First, they did not know how to reliably run the PAK at 50 mhz.  They are
j>selling an optional 'buffer board' which is supposed to facilitate this but
j>say they can't get any information on this procedure.

Well ... it seems to be a bit of a problem, sometimes. There are lots of
german users who report that their PAK works with 50 MHz, although some PAKs
simply won't (even with the buffer board). The buffer board can improve 50MHz
operation, but some PAKs work well without.

It seems that the new PCB layout version works better than the old one.

j>Second, I wanted a 68000 compatibility switch included and although they were
j>told by their distributor (System Solutions) that this is possible, their
j>technician was unable to make progress in actually doing the modification.

The new PCB simply needs an additional GAL fitted - all necessary connections
are there. On my PAK (the old PCB version, selfmade short after the article
came out), some additional flying wires are needed - but they are described
in the c't article and in the socs which you get from MW electronics (they
build the PAK) when you buy PCBs from them.

j>Also, does anyone know if Magic 3 can be put on roms and used as the on
j>board OS?  And finally, is their a PAK FAQ floating around somewhere as I
j>see alot of questions from interested users being posted.

There was one in the german maus.sys.atari.hard group, but I don't have it.

My PAK (68030, 36 MHz) worked like a charm from the beginning - cache,
(patched) TOS 3.06 in ROMs, even my selfmade M110-megabus-adapter (monochrome
1280*960 card) works fine. I would strongly recommend using the patched TOS
3.06 instead of 2.06 since 2.06 does not initialize the MMU correctly.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen    -    Ahornstra?e 36    -     52074 Aachen    -    Germany

 "Woof *y woof."
         -- Gaspode the Wonder Dog    (Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)