ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...

Post by azo » Mon, 30 Oct 1995 03:00:00

: Having used the internet for yonks, and built up a large collection of
: the major archivers (ZIP,ZOO,ARC,ARJ,LZH,LHA....) I was wondering
: which was the best, either in terms of compresssion, or speed.  Has
: anyone a report or something similar which has tested the various
: archivers on different files and decided on the best (possibly for
: different tasks).

All IMHO. ARC is history. There is no reason to use it anymore. ARJ
is lame. ZOO is good for compatability with VMS systems. That leaves
ZIP and LZH.

Supposedly LZH has the best compression ratio, but it's not as wide-spread
ZIP is.

--
Billy D'Augustine

http://www.gti.net/azog/

ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...

Post by Ken Macdona » Wed, 01 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Don't have any reports, but for everyday use I always use STZip 2.6, never let
>me down yet... Personally I hate having to use ARC or LZH these days.  Nothing
>against the programs, just seems ZIP is a lot more standard for bbs type
>operations.
>Andy

ZIP is standard for the PC world, SIT and CPT for the Macintosh world,
ARC, LZH, ZIP for the Atari world. I find most of my Atari files are LZH,
followed by ARC and ZIP.
It would depend on what sort of BBS you are conecting to. I connect mostly to
Atari BBS's, but even those PC BBS's I connect to, while having most of their
PC files in ZIP mode, still have most of their Atari files in LZH or ARC, as
well as ZIP.
later.plus tard

Atari/TOS 1.62 & 4.04        MAC/Sys6.08               IBM/OS-2 3.0Warp
Kenneth Macdonald/ Coinneach Domhnullaich-speaking only for myself

ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...

Post by Chris Rid » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> I run MultiTOS with memory-protection 'on', on a 20Mbyte TT.
[...]
> Until these problems are cured, I will not use it for archiving sensitive
> or important data. (I NEED absolute data and utility reliability).

Try using the zip/unzip ports instead of ST-ZIP. They work a whole lot better,
and give you long file names and so forth. Available from an ftp site near
you.

--Chris

ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...

Post by dave » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> Whilst running Connect 2.46, if I fire up STZIP, the machine crashes so
> badly that only a complete switch off and restart 30 seconds later will
> cure it.

Yep, me too, I have been getting terrible trouble running STZIp with MagiC.
Also if I run the ZIPJR TTP with 2-in-1. It seems that using it once is OK,
but going back to use it again is very prone to crashing :-( I use LZH now
for safety. Slower and less compression but more stable.

--
dave

-                                 Wizzo                                       -

1. ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs

M > Subject: Re:
M > ZIP vs LZH vs ZOO vs ARC vs...  Don't have any reports, but
M > for everyday use I always use STZip 2.6, never let me down
M > yet... Personally I hate having to use ARC or LZH these days.
M > Nothing against the programs, just seems ZIP is a lot more
M > standard for bbs type operations.  Andy

ARCShell by Charles Johnson makes lzh and arc bearable. But I second
the above sentiments: STZip is king! All hail Vincent Pomey!

... I didn't make a mistake.  The computer misunderstood my request.
___ Mountain Reader II - #00000077

2. PGP Invalid Signature for MS03-020

3. c64 vs CPC vs Speccy vs Atari vs Whatever

4. Colored fields on the form

5. TW/DataManager ST vs. BaseTwo vs. SuperBase vs. dBMan vs. your fave

6. 2004 downloads

7. Alfcrunch vs ARC vs Diskcom

8. Do i need to register my dll's with my WINCE ??

9. Atari 7800 vs. XL/XE vs 5200

10. GNU vs My sanity vs My phone bill

11. Jaguar Vs SNES Vs PC

12. ST Format vs ST Review vs ST User

13. Wanted: ST BASIC, True vs Hisoft vs GFA 2 or others?