Alibaba and The Forty Thieves

Post by Edward S. Baiz J » Fri, 04 May 2001 11:17:16

Hello All,

Everyone remember this game? I had a ball with it and now want to play
it again. I have an ATR image file of it and converted that over to a
DI image so 800XLDJ could use it. I also have the original disk version
which still loads. I have found out that this game will not load into
an 800XL or 130XE unless the Translator disk is run first. But then
even after that reading the scrolls in the game is impossible. The
readings flash for a second. I am thinking I need to get out my old 400
and play it that way, but I would rather not. Has anyone experienced
this and found a way to play it fully on an 800XL or 130XE?

Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)
HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
 Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva

Alibaba and The Forty Thieves

Post by Lance Ringqui » Sat, 05 May 2001 00:59:42

hi edward,
 yes i remember that game, i wish i still had it for sale today.
 it is a fun game, not only role playing wise, but the interjected
comedy is cool that adds to the pleasure of the game.
 there was a rereleased version of it that was for xl models, it did not
sell to well because by the time it was rereleased, most pirates had
already made it widly available, so that version never got to far in
many stores, it is hard to find.
thanks,
lance

Video 61 & Atari Sales
                        22735 Congo ST NE
Stacy MN 55079

Alibaba and The Forty Thieves

Post by Cruiser » Wed, 09 May 2001 09:07:17

     I had two versions of this game. One was an original from the 800
days, I believe, and the other was part of the "Age Of Adventure" set,
coupled with Return of Heracles. I got both to work well on my Atari
800XL; though the original did seem to have some oddities with message
scrolling and dead player characters randomly popping up again after
they died (no kidding, I had one game where Og would NOT die and stay
dead, even if you manually removed him from the game). I THINK the
latter "800XL" version also had a friendly, *kicking NPC named
Aladdin that the original didn't.

   BTW, I have been working on and off on a "Gamer's Guide" for ABATFT.
A stolen computer kinda set me back on the project, but I hope to finish
it eventually.  This is still one of my favorite mutli-player RPG's,
Baldur's Gate II notwithstanding.

Now, off to impale a steel sword in a swamp rat,

Cruiser 7

Quote:> Hello All,

> Everyone remember this game? I had a ball with it and now want to play
> it again. I have an ATR image file of it and converted that over to a
> DI image so 800XLDJ could use it. I also have the original disk version
> which still loads. I have found out that this game will not load into
> an 800XL or 130XE unless the Translator disk is run first. But then
> even after that reading the scrolls in the game is impossible. The
> readings flash for a second. I am thinking I need to get out my old 400
> and play it that way, but I would rather not. Has anyone experienced
> this and found a way to play it fully on an 800XL or 130XE?

> Edward S. Baiz Jr.
>     (Gamer)
> HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
>  Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
>  Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
> PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
>  Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
>  Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva

Alibaba and The Forty Thieves

Post by bo snyde » Wed, 09 May 2001 21:59:58

a stolen computer?  your 8bit atari??  if so that really sucks and the
person should be shot and tortured who stole it.  if it was a pc that was
stolen, well then oh well, no big loss.. LOLOL (other than the loss of the
data!)

bo

Quote:> BTW, I have been working on and off on a "Gamer's Guide" for ABATFT.
> A stolen computer kinda set me back on the project, but I hope to finish
> it eventually.  This is still one of my favorite mutli-player RPG's,
> Baldur's Gate II notwithstanding.

Alibaba and The Forty Thieves

Post by Saam Tariverd » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 01:51:25

Do you have a URL for your "gamer's guide" for Ali Baba? I just started
playing it again a few days ago, and damn those minotaurs are hard!

--
Cheers,
Saam Tariverdi

>      I had two versions of this game. One was an original from the 800
> days, I believe, and the other was part of the "Age Of Adventure" set,
> coupled with Return of Heracles. I got both to work well on my Atari
> 800XL; though the original did seem to have some oddities with message
> scrolling and dead player characters randomly popping up again after
> they died (no kidding, I had one game where Og would NOT die and stay
> dead, even if you manually removed him from the game). I THINK the
> latter "800XL" version also had a friendly, *kicking NPC named
> Aladdin that the original didn't.

>    BTW, I have been working on and off on a "Gamer's Guide" for ABATFT.
> A stolen computer kinda set me back on the project, but I hope to finish
> it eventually.  This is still one of my favorite mutli-player RPG's,
> Baldur's Gate II notwithstanding.

> Now, off to impale a steel sword in a swamp rat,

> Cruiser 7

> > Hello All,

> > Everyone remember this game? I had a ball with it and now want to play
> > it again. I have an ATR image file of it and converted that over to a
> > DI image so 800XLDJ could use it. I also have the original disk version
> > which still loads. I have found out that this game will not load into
> > an 800XL or 130XE unless the Translator disk is run first. But then
> > even after that reading the scrolls in the game is impossible. The
> > readings flash for a second. I am thinking I need to get out my old 400
> > and play it that way, but I would rather not. Has anyone experienced
> > this and found a way to play it fully on an 800XL or 130XE?

> > Edward S. Baiz Jr.
> >     (Gamer)
> > HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
> >  Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
> >  Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
> > PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
> >  Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
> >  Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva

Alibaba and The Forty Thieves

Post by Edward S. Baiz J » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 04:55:48

Quote:>Do you have a URL for your "gamer's guide" for Ali Baba? I just started
>playing it again a few days ago, and damn those minotaurs are hard!

Yes, those Minotaurs are hard. I just came at them a certain angles
where I had the advantage. Fun game. I just may start it again also.

Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)
HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
 Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva

Alibaba and The Forty Thieves

Post by Mighty Echidn » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:11:01

I have an Atari130XE and the game ran fine.  I didn't have to load any
additional software before playing it, and I never experienced any problems
during gameplay.

Maybe the version I have was updated or something...

Mine was a white ECA two-side disk called "AGE OF ADVENTURE" with Ali Baba
& the Forty Thieves on one side and Return of Heracles on the other.

Were these games released separately as well?

Quote:> Hello All,

> Everyone remember this game? I had a ball with it and now want to play
> it again. I have an ATR image file of it and converted that over to a
> DI image so 800XLDJ could use it. I also have the original disk version
> which still loads. I have found out that this game will not load into
> an 800XL or 130XE unless the Translator disk is run first. But then
> even after that reading the scrolls in the game is impossible. The
> readings flash for a second. I am thinking I need to get out my old 400
> and play it that way, but I would rather not. Has anyone experienced
> this and found a way to play it fully on an 800XL or 130XE?

> Edward S. Baiz Jr.
>     (Gamer)
> HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
>  Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
>  Photo 700 printer, 56k US Robotics Modem, ICQ#91257633
> PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
>  Calamus SL2000, Newsie, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
>  Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux, Magic, N.AES, Geneva

1. Forty Thieves available via the WWW

In the May 1996 issue of Archimedes World there is a little piece on a
Patience game I wrote called Forty Thieves (thanks for the compliments Matt,
an especially nice surprise). You can download this and Spider (another
Patience game) plus a few other bits and pieces from my WWW site. The URL is:

http://jumper.mcc.ac.uk/~uggslid/acorn/index.html

The general web site URL is as follows:

http://jumper.mcc.ac.uk/~uggslid/

Finally, a very gigantic thank you to the people at jumper for letting me
have this web space.

        Graham

--

"I caress the infinite light that even at night overshadows the moon." PM Dawn
Visit Hoopyland! Guaranteed octagon-free!!!  http://jumper.mcc.ac.uk/~uggslid/

does not constitute endorsement by any part of the Acorn Group.

2. APA-like .bst style for use with natbib?

3. MSN V2 (UK) ands Internet Mail

4. change wwwroot to d:

5. Netmeeting ands several participants

6. INETINFO.EXE on 6543, 40, 443 & other questions

7. frontpage & Alibaba??

8. Money 99 Cannot enter PIN to open files

9. Medicare Is Gone, No Ifs ,Ands Or Buts.

10. Alibaba, one-on-one on cassandra

11. HP100lx outfit on ebay ands at 1PM PDT 10/15 (currently $102)

12. ANDs and ORs

13. Units ands positioning