adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by urbanvelve » Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:47:27

hi,
thanks for your help on my last topic...
you know who you are... ;-)

this time I'd like any help on connecting a zip drive to an Atari ST,

can it be done?
I have an external 100MB zip drive (parallel port)..
has anyone managed to make this option work?

again I thank you in advance for your help..

www.urbanvelvet.co.uk

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by Tommy Polla » Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:59:24

A SCSI Zip connects directly to the Falcon. With the original TOS I had
to format each disc as four 30 MB drives.

--
Tommy Pollk
Wiboms v 12, 2 tr   Phone +46 8 27 24 27 (home)

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by Robert Schaffn » Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:16:11

> this time I'd like any help on connecting a zip drive to an Atari ST,

> can it be done?

Yes, needs an DMA->SCSI apdator external (like LINK 97, ICD or others)
and an hard disk driver.

Quote:> I have an external 100MB zip drive (parallel port)..
> has anyone managed to make this option work?

The one and only -parallel port- interface for the atari rom port was
made from woller/germany. I dont know they have interfaces left.

Quote:> again I thank you in advance for your help..

Its better to ad SCSI drives.

Rgs, Robert

--
       -= Home of DOIT-Archive =-
  ___________________________________

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by HP Gu » Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:15:18

not possible, been asked before, iirc the Atari's printer port is of a very
average design with the bare minimum of pins connected, not sufficient for
such devices.

Quote:> hi,
> thanks for your help on my last topic...
> you know who you are... ;-)

> this time I'd like any help on connecting a zip drive to an Atari ST,

> can it be done?
> I have an external 100MB zip drive (parallel port)..
> has anyone managed to make this option work?

> again I thank you in advance for your help..

> --

> www.urbanvelvet.co.uk

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by David Wad » Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:54:55

> > this time I'd like any help on connecting a zip drive to an Atari ST,

> > can it be done?

I wonder if the IDE version would work with an IDE interface.
both

http://gem.win.co.nz/mb/atarihw/ide.html & www.keychange.co.uk

do IDE interfaces but I can't see any mention of ZIP drives there.

Quote:> Yes, needs an DMA->SCSI apdator external (like LINK 97, ICD or others)
> and an hard disk driver.

> > I have an external 100MB zip drive (parallel port)..
> > has anyone managed to make this option work?

> The one and only -parallel port- interface for the atari rom port was
> made from woller/germany. I dont know they have interfaces left.

> > again I thank you in advance for your help..

> Its better to ad SCSI drives.

> Rgs, Robert

> --
>        -= Home of DOIT-Archive =-
>   ___________________________________
>     Macintosh und Atari Hardware FAQs
>        <http://www.doitarchive.de>

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by HP Gu » Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:40:43

Yes, they will, as an internal ide zip drive with a disk inserted is
recognized as a 100mb hard drive on any computer. It just wont find it when
there's no disk inserted, unless there is specific support for zip drives.

> > > this time I'd like any help on connecting a zip drive to an Atari ST,

> > > can it be done?

> I wonder if the IDE version would work with an IDE interface.
> both

> http://gem.win.co.nz/mb/atarihw/ide.html & www.keychange.co.uk

> do IDE interfaces but I can't see any mention of ZIP drives there.

> > Yes, needs an DMA->SCSI apdator external (like LINK 97, ICD or others)
> > and an hard disk driver.

> > > I have an external 100MB zip drive (parallel port)..
> > > has anyone managed to make this option work?

> > The one and only -parallel port- interface for the atari rom port was
> > made from woller/germany. I don4t know they have interfaces left.

> > > again I thank you in advance for your help..

> > It4s better to ad SCSI drives.

> > Rgs, Robert

> > --
> >        -= Home of DOIT-Archive =-
> >   ___________________________________
> >     Macintosh und Atari Hardware FAQs
> >        <http://www.doitarchive.de>

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by Gale » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:03:47

> not possible, been asked before, iirc the Atari's printer port is of a very
> average design with the bare minimum of pins connected, not sufficient for
> such devices.

True, but there was an improved parallel port adapter for the
cartridge port, which did work.

Galen

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by Uwe Seime » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:26:53

> True, but there was an improved parallel port adapter for the
> cartridge port, which did work.

The driver software was not up-to-date, though. It was proprietary and
did not implement several standards like XHDI or the SCSI Driver
interface, which are useful for any kind of device.

                                    http://www.seimet.de

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by Edward S. Baiz Jr » Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:06:59

Quote:>hi,
>thanks for your help on my last topic...
>you know who you are... ;-)

>this time I'd like any help on connecting a zip drive to an Atari ST,

>can it be done?
>I have an external 100MB zip drive (parallel port)..
>has anyone managed to make this option work?

>again I thank you in advance for your help..

Hello,

Yes, I am sure it can be done. All you would need would be
HDDriver as the hard drive software. I have it on my STe and it
functions great. I also have it on my Hades in which I also have a
Jaz drive install. Works great....

--
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)

HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha & Sony CDRW Drive, 1 gig
 Jaz Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, PCI Networking Card, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, GlueStik, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2002, Newswatch, Okami, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Mint(Net), Magic(Net), N.AES, Geneva

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by urbanvelve » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 04:57:20

Hi Edward S. Baiz Jr.
is there a chance you could email me HDDriver?

I have a megafile 60
and I it uses a driver called " Atari Hard Disk Driver" I thinks it flashes
up AHDI when the hard drive boots up..
it's very quick so I cant read it..!!

many thanks...

Quote:> >hi,
> >thanks for your help on my last topic...
> >you know who you are... ;-)

> >this time I'd like any help on connecting a zip drive to an Atari ST,

> >can it be done?
> >I have an external 100MB zip drive (parallel port)..
> >has anyone managed to make this option work?

> >again I thank you in advance for your help..

> Hello,

> Yes, I am sure it can be done. All you would need would be
> HDDriver as the hard drive software. I have it on my STe and it
> functions great. I also have it on my Hades in which I also have a
> Jaz drive install. Works great....

> --
> Edward S. Baiz Jr.
>     (Gamer)

> HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha & Sony CDRW Drive, 1 gig
>  Jaz Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
>  Photo 700 printer, PCI Networking Card, ICQ#91257633
> PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, GlueStik, aFTP,
>  Calamus SL2002, Newswatch, Okami, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
>  Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Mint(Net), Magic(Net), N.AES, Geneva

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by Paul Malcol » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:35:47

Quote:> Hi Edward S. Baiz Jr.
> is there a chance you could email me HDDriver?

It is still commercial software and the latest version can be bought in the
UK from The Atari Workshop at
http://www.atari-workshop.co.uk

Hope this helps

PAUL

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by Uwe Seime » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:04:44

> Hi Edward S. Baiz Jr.
> is there a chance you could email me HDDriver?

HDDRIVER is commercial software, not a free product, so mailing it to
you would mean to spread illegal copies.
You can download the demo version from
http://www.seimet.de/hddriver_english.html. The web page also contains
information on where to purchase HDDRIVER.

                                    http://www.seimet.de

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by urbanvelve » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:34:28

thanks.....
I'll get a copy...

> > Hi Edward S. Baiz Jr.
> > is there a chance you could email me HDDriver?

> It is still commercial software and the latest version can be bought in
the
> UK from The Atari Workshop at
> http://www.atari-workshop.co.uk

> Hope this helps

> PAUL

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by Edward S. Baiz Jr » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 08:29:36

>Hi Edward S. Baiz Jr.
>is there a chance you could email me HDDriver?

>I have a megafile 60
>and I it uses a driver called " Atari Hard Disk Driver" I thinks it flashes
>up AHDI when the hard drive boots up..
>it's very quick so I cant read it..!!

>many thanks...

HDDriver is a commercial program, so I could not do it. There is a
demo of it on Uwe Seimet's website that you could try out.

--
Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)

HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha & Sony CDRW Drive, 1 gig
 Jaz Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, PCI Networking Card, ICQ#91257633
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, GlueStik, aFTP,
 Calamus SL2002, Newswatch, Okami, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Mint(Net), Magic(Net), N.AES, Geneva

adding a Zip Drive to a STE

Post by urbanvelve » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:16:07

I have just downloaded the demo...
but the demo does not support ZIP drives..
I need the full version...but  also I see that CUBASE (midi software that I
mainly use on my Atari) does not like the latest version..
I was hoping to buy and download HDDriver from their website, but
unfortunately I have to have it posted to me....

is this the only place I can purchase the driver from?

> >Hi Edward S. Baiz Jr.
> >is there a chance you could email me HDDriver?

> >I have a megafile 60
> >and I it uses a driver called " Atari Hard Disk Driver" I thinks it
flashes
> >up AHDI when the hard drive boots up..
> >it's very quick so I cant read it..!!

> >many thanks...

> HDDriver is a commercial program, so I could not do it. There is a
> demo of it on Uwe Seimet's website that you could try out.

> --
> Edward S. Baiz Jr.
>     (Gamer)

> HADES 060: 256meg Ram, Yamaha & Sony CDRW Drive, 1 gig
>  Jaz Drive, MicroTek E3 Scanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
>  Photo 700 printer, PCI Networking Card, ICQ#91257633
> PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.8, ScanX, GlueStik, aFTP,
>  Calamus SL2002, Newswatch, Okami, PlayMyCD, Papyrus 8, Smurf,
>  Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Mint(Net), Magic(Net), N.AES, Geneva

1. ZIP drive on a MEGA-STE

   Hi,

Is it possible to use a SCSI - ZIP Iomega drive
on a MEGA STE TOS 2.06 with the adaptater
The Link, from ICD ?
Someone told me there would be a parity problem.
Is that right ?

2. understanding audit.rul

3. STe and Zip drive

4. Lines in scanned picture

5. ZIP drive to STE ??

6. XML as IPC

7. Crazy ZIP drive on STe

8. Hobbes New OS/2 CD Disk

9. ZIP drive on a MEGA-STE

10. ZIP drive on Atari STE.

11. Crazy ZIP drive on STe

12. Zip Drive to Atari STE

13. Adding a slave drive to the TRAK drive