WARNING! Bug in Gulam v1.03

Post by Ralph P. Sob » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 11:54:00

service!) and in that version I found a bug that wasn't in the beta-test
version:

        mv can destroy files!!!!  without any message whatsoever.

I found this problem when I was moving files from my hard disk to a reasonably
full floppy disk.  After the move, the floppy had zero space left and *all*
the files were deleted from the hard disk.  The problem is that not all the
files made it to the floppy!!  SO BEWARE!!!

The beta-test version (1.00....) did not have this bug.  Mv would abort when
the disk is full, and the files not *completely* transferred are deleted.

By the way, when will Gulam accept foreign language keyboards without one
having to hack the GULAM.PRG file?  I still think that it's the best shell
around!  Keep up the good work.

As always, I don't yet (;-{) receive any of the newsgroups -- so reply directly
to me.  Thanks.

Ralph P. Sobek                 | UUCP:  uunet!mcvax!inria!lasso!ralph,    or

=  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =  =

WARNING! Bug in Gulam v1.03

Post by Bill Rosenkra » Sat, 02 Jun 1990 18:15:00

----

->
->   mv can destroy files!!!!  without any message whatsoever.
->
->I found this problem when I was moving files from my hard disk to a
->full floppy disk.  After the move, the floppy had zero space left and *all*
->the files were deleted from the hard disk.  The problem is that not all the
->files made it to the floppy!!  SO BEWARE!!!
->

this is definitely a bug but...(and thanx for pointing it out!)

i don't know about you, but if i'm going to backup something to floppy and
then delete it (essentially mv) i ALWAYS cp, confirm that the copy worked with
(at a minimum) ls -l or (more thoroghly) cmp or diff (if really critical) and
only then do i rm the files, on any system, from a pc on up to a cray. it's
just not worth the headache if something should go wrong. in fact for very
important stuff, make 2 copies (i know, i'm just too paranoid...).

do you know if 1.03 has pipes? this is one essential feature lacking in an
otherwise great program (i played with MWC msh v1.x and immediately decide
gulam was infinitely better..except for pipes in which case i could just
start msh under gulam for the one command and exit but this is painful).

even being able to do this would be nice:

        alias pipe " > pipetmp0.000 ; \!2-$ <pipetmp0.000 ; rm pipetmp0.000"

then (say)

        history pipe grep ls

but this does not work (alas). i should see if this works under BSD csh...

-bill

1. gulam v1.03

Last May,  Ed Beers asked about using the kb command in gulam to "fix"
the delete key.  At the time I made a note of the request, but as I did not
have gulam, it wasn't important.  I did watch for a response, but I never
saw it.  Now I have gulam and I, too, would like my delete key to do a
forward instead of a backward delete.

I am having the same problem that he did.  That is "kb -(r,m,or g) 07f 1d"
do not work.  What is the solution ???

thanks,

mike

2. Pacific Data Protracer Driver

3. DTD in Project X TR1

4. oss pp v1.0 -> flash in gulam

5. Extensions?

6. atan2() in gawk - bug warning

7. Slow Network Printing - HP P1100

8. WARNING: Bug (?) in TurboDOS

9. Fix bugs to fix bugs, or to Fix Bugs?

10. gulam bug

11. Possible printing bug in Gulam

12. Gulam bug? and turtle limitation.