HBS240 & Real-time clock

Post by por.. » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 03:11:20

I have a Mega ST computer and, one year ago, I bought a HBS240 board, including
a 68000/16MHz processor and cache-RAM, to speed it up a bit.
Later, I noticed that my real time clock wasn't working anymore. I didn't
understand why but it didn't bother me too much as I decided to buy a TT,
what is done now.

As I wasn't using this HBS240, I sold it to a friend who also had a Mega ST.
A month after he installed it, the same problem occured : he lost his real time
clock (I mean, the chip is burned out and doesn't work at all).

I'm wondering if anybody had the same kind of experience and, if so, if you
happen to know :

  - Why and how does the HBS240 affect the hardware like that. As for me, I'm
completely unable to understand where the incompability lies; I haven't a
clue !

  - How to avoid this problem.

If you use this board, please answer, even if you don't have any problem
with it (I'd like to know if I'm just the unlucky one !).

Thank you.

Electricity Department         |  DecNet : 56451::PORRET
Swiss institute of technology  |

HBS240 & Real-time clock

Post by Paul_Tuijn.. » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 19:44:52

 > If you use this board, please answer, even if you don't have any
 > problem with it (I'd like to know if I'm just the unlucky one !).
 >
 > Thank you.

 > --------

 > Electricity Department         |  DecNet : 56451::PORRET
 > Swiss institute of technology  |

Hi Alain-Serge,

I have a Mega and a HBS 240, but it didn't*up the timer like yours
did. I have every possible add-on and add-in (TOS upgrade, Xtra RAM, card
for driving a SM194 19" screen) etc, but it all works like it should, I'm
almost sorry to say,

Paul

                                    |   FidoNet 2:500/130.2123    |
                                    |   tel/fax +31 50 416932     |
                                    |  Groningen - Netherlands    |

--- Bermuda v1.00 Li
 * Origin: *--No Point in Yelling--* (2:281/202.19)

1. F030 real-time clock failure

Greetings.

Yet another plea for assistance, I'm afraid.  The real-time clock in my
Falcon seems to have packed up - every time I switch it on it thinks it's
31:63:62 on the 31/15/2107!!!  It also resets sometimes whilst the machine is
turned on (when programs end, it seems).  Infuriating!

My instinct is that the battery's dead, but I'd have thought then the clock
would run fine whilst the machine is running.  No-one I've spoken to seems
sure about this.  Has anyone seen this before? Is it definitely the hardware?
(Should I be using anything other than the COPS or XCONTROL to reset the
clock?)  Someone pointed me to the NVRAM, but all the settings such as
monitor type have been fine all the time. Is the NVRAM in the same chip as
the clock?  Is it a chip I need to replace?

Also, the doc for a clock program hinted that there're two system clocks -
the keyboard clock and the GEMDOS clock?  I know I'm easily confused, but
this really puzzled me!  Which one should I be setting?  Which one of these
keeps its time when the machine's off, or is it something else?  If so, how
do I ensure that when I set the clock, the new time is kept `permanently'?

I've even tried going back to the Forget-me-Clock II real-time clock cartidge
I used with my STE, but although the config program is reading it fine, it
won't set the Falcon's clock... :(

Help please!

(By mail, please - my phone bill won't allow me to check newsgroups very
often :(  )

Thanks,

      _
     /_|_

2. we need visual studio to run a application which contain crystal report with asp.net(2003)?

3. 'SMART WATCH' Real-Time Clock - (nf)

4. How can I view PostScript files.

5. real-time clock

6. Need US GOVT "Postage & Fees Paid" mail indicia

7. 'SMART WATCH' Real-Time Clock

8. Real Time Clock Program

9. dallas real time clock?

10. Mega ST Real Time Clocks