that magic number...

Post by Gordon Mey » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 03:50:00

%lots of stuff deleted%
  >  There are over 15,000,000 PClones in the US.  Around 4,000,000
Quote:> Macs and over 1,000,000 Amigas.

  %more stuff deleted%

Are you sure that there are one million Amigas in the *U.S.* ?
Commodore, like Atari, won't fess up to a number sold, as least
as far as I've heard.  Last time I saw the magic 1 mil associated
with Commodore it was for worldwide sales.
I'm not trying to start a numbers war here, and I'm certainly not
going to pretend that there have been more ST's then Amiga's sold
in this country, but I don't think the numbers as posted were
accurate.
Okay..okay..it's all a moot point.  The real concern is the lack
of software for BOTH machines.  Most industry writers will lump
together when and say niether has managed to get a real market
share.
-=->G<-=-

that magic number...

Post by Geert J v Oldenbor » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 09:18:00

According to the director of Atari Benelux, quoted in the Dutch STart
magazine, the total number of STs sold worldwide is more then 1.5 million.
Over 70% of this is in Europe.

Geert Jan van Oldenborgh

that magic number...

Post by Chuck McMan » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 02:20:00

Right, at the Developers Conference in San Francisco Commodore announced
that they had passed the million machine mark by March of 1989 (1,041,000).
They also noted that 70% of their new sales were in Europe. Given the
initial sales of 1000's here in the US and the current split the best
guess anyone can come up with is between 300 and 500 thousand in the US.
(Early Amiga sales were much more US slanted.) They claimed the hoopla
they had been planning was delayed while the fired the president of the
US sales office. (Actually they said "things were in transition" but
that is what they meant.) Anyway, if anyone from Atari want to jump up
with an installed base number please feel free...

--Chuck McManis

"A most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!"

1. Magic Numbers

Hello,
 Does anyone know the 'magic numbers' for 'arc', 'zoo', 'lzh', etc files that
can be put into /etc/magic on unix systems (and for the similar 'file' program
available for the ST). I *did* have them, but have managed to delete them!!

Thanks,
        Andrew

| England.                 |                                                   |

2. Sun DAT on Indigo?

3. MagiC Message Board now on MagiC Online

4. thanks for FAQ -- so objC is lousy?

5. WTB: magic and magic mac

6. use of ListBox

7. MagiC News(MagiC 7, New Webbrowser, MM 6.1.4)

8. cannot run defrag-weird message

9. Atari BBS Phone Numbers?

10. MegaMagazine number 8

11. 1050 Power Supply Part Number?