Fonts for the TeX previewer - Avy's reply

Fonts for the TeX previewer - Avy's reply

Post by Avy MOI » Wed, 02 May 1990 16:23:00

Quote:>I have found the TeX previewer that was posted to comp.binaries.atari.st
>to be extremely useful.  Unfortunately, only a few fonts were posted with
>the previewer.  However, in case you don't know it, there is a gold mine
>of fonts at your place of work that is waiting to be plundered (probably).

>If you have arbortext on an Apollo, all the fonts in
>...arbortext/pixels/screen/ will work with the previewer.  These are
>118dpi, 129dpi, 142dpi, 170dpi,...  If your document magnification is magstep1
>and you add -m=1025 to the command line of dvist then these packed fonts
>will be called and will work.  The only side effect of using these fonts
>is you lose the margins (but the atari gives you nice margins already
>(too bad they are black)).  Of course, I don't know if it is legal to
>take fonts from arbortext - my guess is that it is fine and dandy - its
>the pxltopk program that you shouldn't take (the one that packs the fonts).

        This is very true, in fact the DVIST program will accept the current
        compacted <pk> font set from any existing system that supports TeX 82 or
        LaTeX. Also most versions of the PKTOPX may be used to convert the pixel
        file (.PXL) to compacted (.PK) files.  We also intend to add a '-x' option
        to DVIST so that will let it use .PXL files by instead of .PK files
        (This may not work on systems that store the .PXL files in byte reversed
        format).

        The Pascal version of the PKTOPX/PXTOPK are copyright, but may be freely
        used.  The C versions may not be freely available.

Quote:>By the way - be sure to use foldrxxx.prg (recently posted) or you will find
>out first hand what the 40 folder problem is (it's the 52 folder problem on
>my machine).

        The full font set for the ATARI ST contains more than 80 folders and
        occupies about 4Mb. It is not necessary to have all the fonts on-line.
        We normally use about 10-20 different fonts at any one time, according
        to the type of document that is being processed. The current version of
        DVIST allows up to 25 fonts to be loaded at any one time. We intend to
        extend this limit to 32. Our experience shows that most laser printers
        do not support more than 32 fonts per printed page, and when you use
        DVIEPS (DVI to Epson driver), the ATARI runs out of memory when
        processing documents that use more than 20 fonts.

Quote:>That reminds me, if we can have the sources or if Avy is listening,

        Yes I am listening, the sources will be posted as part of the next
        upgrade/release of the DVIST program.

Quote:>it seems that there should be folders separating fonts on the
>basis of dpi only and all the font files should have names like cmb10.118pk
>(that is, a complete description of the font).  The fonts are very easy to
>lose track of the way they are currently labeled.

        You may be right, but remember that the atari can not support more than
        3 letter extension names.

        Personally I think that only the full path name of a font file should
        completely identify the font file

        e.g.

                "\fonts\cmr10\96pk" may functionally equivalent to "\fonts\cmr10.96p"
        but
                "\fonts\circlew10\1000pk" is very different from "\fonts\circlew10.100"

        similarly

                "\fonts\cmr10\1000pxl" and "\fonts\cmr10\100pk are uniquely defined
                and both will map into "\fonts\cmr10.100" in your naming convention.

Quote:>While we are suggesting, maybe -m=1025 should be the default instead
>of -m=1000.

        Remember that the default magnification is effectively -m=1200 since the
        default DPI value is -v=96. To get the right aspect ratio of a document
        without any clipping it is necessary to start DVIST with the -v=80 option.
        Do you have access to these fonts ?

        The -m=1000 -v=80 previews a document in the right aspect
        ratio.

        P.S.

                The -l (left offset) and -t (top offset) will be enabled in the next
                release.

Tyler and I are very pleased that this program is of use to you, please
send more comments and suggestions, and we shall attempt to implement them
and improve this program.

                Avygdor Moise

Fonts for the TeX previewer - Avy's reply

Post by Tomas Rokic » Wed, 02 May 1990 21:40:00

Quote:>    The Pascal version of the PKTOPX/PXTOPK are
>    copyright, but may be freely
>    used.  The C versions may not be freely available.

pktopx.c, pxtopk.c, gfread.c (which does gftopxl, only faster),
gftopk.c, and pktype.c are all freely available.  The source is
ugly, but compiles and runs with no difficulty.  Anonymous ftp
from sushi.stanford.edu, in directory <ROKICKI>.

-tom

1. Fonts for the TeX previewer

[...]
I understand that Avy Moise (one of the originators of the previewer) is
going to add a switch that will allow the use of pxl fonts.  This should
greatly add to the number of available fonts.

By the way - be sure to use foldrxxx.prg (recently posted) or you will find
out first hand what the 40 folder problem is (it's the 52 folder problem on
my machine).  That reminds me, if we can have the sources or if Avy is
listening, it seems that there should be folders separating fonts on the
basis of dpi only and all the font files should have names like cmb10.118pk
(that is, a complete description of the font).  The fonts are very easy to
lose track of the way they are currently labeled.  While we are suggesting,
maybe -m=1025 should be the default instead of -m=1000.

2. Sun Ultra 1 with no display??

3. Reply to 'dvist' bug report (lines.tex)

4. super packman

5. TeX Previewer

6. hiding text/fields on a Lotus Notes 4.61 form

7. Question about PD TeX Previewer

8. Setup Outlook on SBS server

9. Anyone seen the Color TeX previewer yet??

10. TeX'ing gulam.tex

11. TeX - question about mf's, tfm's pk's etc....

12. UniTerm's 'Set Path' abilities / TeX documentation.

13. dvi previewer capable of displaying postscript fonts on atari ST