Ghostscript on the ST

Post by Steve Seli » Fri, 31 Jan 1992 05:22:14

I have been trying now for a few days to get Ghostscript to function on
my 1040ste, and I keep getting "Cant find Fontmap!". What's up with
this? Also, after I give it the driver and the filename in the
command line, what do I do at the ghostscript prompt to print a
file?

Ghostscript on the ST

Post by Marc Bour » Fri, 31 Jan 1992 12:31:40

> I have been trying now for a few days to get Ghostscript to function on
> my 1040ste, and I keep getting "Cant find Fontmap!". What's up with
> this? Also, after I give it the driver and the filename in the
> command line, what do I do at the ghostscript prompt to print a
> file?

You need to set an environment variable which is a path to search for input
files.  I believe its called `GS'.  It will typically include the current
directory, `.', as well as something like `g:\gs\fonts'.  Somewhere on this
path should be the FONTMAP file.  I think you should have got a copy with the
GhostScript distribution you have.  It maps font names, e.g. Times-Bold, to
ST files which contain the font definitions, e.g. ptmb,gsf.  If you have trouble
getting a FONTMAP file, I can mail you one.

Cheers,

[M][a][r][c]                                 ===== Cray Research (UK) Ltd. =====

     end-to-end, no-one would be in the      UUCP:     ...!uknet!crayuk!M.Bouron
     slightest bit surprised..."             VOICE:    +44 344 485971 x2208

1. ghostscript, dvips on ST

Hi,

This is my third attempt to post this info. I'll get it right
one day.

I have a partial port of ghostscript (GNU project's postscript
interpreter) running on the ST. I know of one small bug, but as
soon as I get gdb working, I hope to exterminate it. I currently
have only the HP DeskJet driver working, but I think (hope) it
will be simple to install any of the other drivers distributed
with ghostscript (i.e. epson).

I am soliciting any information (about the atari and ghostscript)
which might help me to write a screen driver for the ST. I am not
very familiar with ST hardware, TOS, GEM, or the ghostscript
device interface, so that is a tall order. Perhaps someone will
volunteer to write it for me (wishful thinking). Is it possible
to have a GEM screen driver for a non-GEM program? Can I hack
one of the MSDOS VGA drivers?

I also have dvips running on the ST. Dvips converts TeX .dvi files
to postscript files. It supports the use of TeX 'special' commands
to include postscript graphics in TeX/LaTeX documents. The
TeX/dvips/ghostscript combination can be very powerful.

I can post these programs (as they are) if anyone is interested and
is willing to give me instructions for how to post executables.
Thanks,

Tim Gallivan

2. Help: Network is unreachable

3. ST Ghostscript 2.3.1 on a.a

4. The Client-Server Computing Page

5. Ghostscript (Was: LaserPrinters and the ST)

6. HELP: Partitioning 1GB SCSI drive

7. GhostScript ST

8. DHCP Not Serving IPs, Its Authorized.... No Events in the Log. )-;

9. ghostscript, dvips on ST

10. Atari Ghostscript 3.01 Beta Release Available

11. Problem with GhostScript - SLM - (MultiTOS,MIDICOM)

12. Ghostscript -> .GEM Metafile d

13. Ghostscript -> .GEM Metafile device.....