Fix for the Modem2 port on TT & Mega STE

Fix for the Modem2 port on TT & Mega STE

Post by STIG JORGENS » Tue, 16 Mar 1993 07:15:07

Anybody know of a fix for the Modem2 port on TT & Mega STE so that I can use
highspeed modems without getting all these transmission errors with Zmodem?

Stig
------

   _/  _/ _/ _/ S   _/  _/ _/ _/    | Snail-mail: Stig Jrgensen
  _/    _/  _/ T   _/    _/  _/ I   |             Hovslagerveien 7C
 _/        _/ E   _/        _/ N    |             N-1712 Grlum
_/        _/ R   _/        _/ D     |             Norway

Post by anis » Wed, 17 Mar 1993 15:31:17

>Anybody know of a fix for the Modem2 port on TT & Mega STE so that I can use
>highspeed modems without getting all these transmission errors with Zmodem?

   I have Serial Fix 2.0 installed in my Auto folder (and the accompanying
CPX) and haven't had any problems doing high-speed transfers on my MegaSTe.
To note, I've used a Qblazer 38400 baud modem (at 19200) on modem 2 and serial
2 and doing a null-modem transfer to my PC have gotten around 3000cps.
I use the Connect 1.92 term program for this (since it seems the friendliest
in terms of handling the extra ports, etc)...

   Anyways, summary: Serial Fix 2.0...

                                        Robert Anisko

"insomniacs anonymouzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..."

Fix for the Modem2 port on TT & Mega STE

Post by STIG JORGENS » Sat, 20 Mar 1993 19:06:43

Quote:>   I have Serial Fix 2.0 installed in my Auto folder (and the accompanying
>CPX) and haven't had any problems doing high-speed transfers on my MegaSTe.
>To note, I've used a Qblazer 38400 baud modem (at 19200) on modem 2 and serial
>2 and doing a null-modem transfer to my PC have gotten around 3000cps.
>I use the Connect 1.92 term program for this (since it seems the friendliest
>in terms of handling the extra ports, etc)...

>   Anyways, summary: Serial Fix 2.0...

I have tried it, and I still get "Bad table" and "CRC error" when I
uncompress archives. I don't know if I can send something without getting
errors, I've only tried receiving. When I read in the docs supplied with
Serial Fix 2.0, it said that it only fixed the errors on the St compatible
modem port. So I am really stuck now.

I use Gem Zmodem from Michael Ziegler, Connect 1.95 and a ZyXEL 1496E 5.04
modem, in case you should know of some troubles with that combination.

>                                    Robert Anisko

Stig
------

   _/  _/ _/ _/ S   _/  _/ _/ _/    | Snail-mail: Stig J?rgensen
  _/    _/  _/ T   _/    _/  _/ I   |             Hovslagerveien 7C
 _/        _/ E   _/        _/ N    |             N-1712 Gr?lum
_/        _/ R   _/        _/ D     |             Norway

Fix for the Modem2 port on TT & Mega STE

Post by Erling Henang » Sun, 21 Mar 1993 14:01:18

Strange.

We had two TT's hooked together over the modem2 port at 38.4k baud and
didn't have trouble at all.

Both TT's were running TOS 3.06 and had no patches for the serial-port.
We got a thruput at about 3400 bytes/s.

Are you sure your cable has all the signals ? (RTS/CTS)

Erling

--
       _______    _____          o           ____       Erling Henanger
      /___       /____/ /       /   /|  /   /           Norwegian Institute

Post by Juergen Lo » Tue, 23 Mar 1993 05:03:26

Quote:>>   I have Serial Fix 2.0 installed in my Auto folder (and the accompanying
>>CPX) and haven't had any problems doing high-speed transfers on my MegaSTe.
>>To note, I've used a Qblazer 38400 baud modem (at 19200) on modem 2 and serial
>>2 and doing a null-modem transfer to my PC have gotten around 3000cps.
>>I use the Connect 1.92 term program for this (since it seems the friendliest
>>in terms of handling the extra ports, etc)...

>>   Anyways, summary: Serial Fix 2.0...
>I have tried it, and I still get "Bad table" and "CRC error" when I
>uncompress archives. I don't know if I can send something without getting
>errors, I've only tried receiving. When I read in the docs supplied with
>Serial Fix 2.0, it said that it only fixed the errors on the St compatible
>modem port. So I am really stuck now.
>I use Gem Zmodem from Michael Ziegler, Connect 1.95 and a ZyXEL 1496E 5.04
>modem, in case you should know of some troubles with that combination.

 i hunted for that one for some time too (me: mega STe, uucp on modem2,
corrupted files and no protocol errors), and finally found out its a
hardware problem :-(  seems whenever the SCC chip (controls modem2 and
serial2, $ffff8c8x) gets accessed during disk IO theres a chance that
this access trips over the disk DMA reading/writing memory and then you
get corrupted data sent either to/from the disk(!), or the port, or
both.  and the chip is accessed in interrupt handlers whenever data goes
over the port or CTS changes...

 i know of no real (hardware) fix for that (there is a patched GAL for
another bug concerning serial2, haven't tried that yet), the `solution'
i'm testing now ist to have the disk driver (actually cache program)
call a routine (cookie) that drops RTS and turns off SCC interrupts
before DMA and restart everything afterwards.  that _seems_ to do it,
except the modem apparently ignores RTS until it has a connection
so uucico's dialer now sometimes misses modem messages and times out
when other processes use the disk...

 hope it helps,
        Juergen

PS: maybe it's not only mega STes...  there was a report in one of the
maus. newsgroups about a falcon running a disk reorganize (chkdsk3)
that crashed horribly when the phone rang and the modem sent `RING'...
(falcons modem port is on SCC too.)  poor guy had to clear out the disk
and reinstall everything...

PPS: crosspost and folloup-to .tech
--

                                                                ...ohne Gewehr

Post by STIG JORGENS » Fri, 26 Mar 1993 19:09:30

>Subject: Re: Fix for the Modem2 port on TT & Mega STE
>Date: 21 Mar 93 20:03:26 GMT

>>>   I have Serial Fix 2.0 installed in my Auto folder (and the accompanying
>>>CPX) and haven't had any problems doing high-speed transfers on my MegaSTe.
>>>To note, I've used a Qblazer 38400 baud modem (at 19200) on modem 2 and serial
>>>2 and doing a null-modem transfer to my PC have gotten around 3000cps.
>>>I use the Connect 1.92 term program for this (since it seems the friendliest
>>>in terms of handling the extra ports, etc)...

>>>   Anyways, summary: Serial Fix 2.0...

>>I have tried it, and I still get "Bad table" and "CRC error" when I
>>uncompress archives. I don't know if I can send something without getting
>>errors, I've only tried receiving. When I read in the docs supplied with
>>Serial Fix 2.0, it said that it only fixed the errors on the St compatible
>>modem port. So I am really stuck now.

>>I use Gem Zmodem from Michael Ziegler, Connect 1.95 and a ZyXEL 1496E 5.04
>>modem, in case you should know of some troubles with that combination.

> i hunted for that one for some time too (me: mega STe, uucp on modem2,
>corrupted files and no protocol errors), and finally found out its a
>hardware problem :-(  seems whenever the SCC chip (controls modem2 and
>serial2, $ffff8c8x) gets accessed during disk IO theres a chance that
>this access trips over the disk DMA reading/writing memory and then you
>get corrupted data sent either to/from the disk(!), or the port, or
>both.  and the chip is accessed in interrupt handlers whenever data goes
>over the port or CTS changes...

> i know of no real (hardware) fix for that (there is a patched GAL for
>another bug concerning serial2, haven't tried that yet), the `solution'
>i'm testing now ist to have the disk driver (actually cache program)
>call a routine (cookie) that drops RTS and turns off SCC interrupts
>before DMA and restart everything afterwards.  that _seems_ to do it,
>except the modem apparently ignores RTS until it has a connection
>so uucico's dialer now sometimes misses modem messages and times out
>when other processes use the disk...

I've got it to work now (at least, I think). I uses XYZ202B instead of
GemZmodem and everything has worked OK since then...

Quote:> hope it helps,
>    Juergen

Stig
------

   _/  _/ _/ _/ S   _/  _/ _/ _/    | Snail-mail: Stig J?rgensen
  _/    _/  _/ T   _/    _/  _/ I   |             Hovslagerveien 7C
 _/        _/ E   _/        _/ N    |             N-1712 Gr?lum
_/        _/ R   _/        _/ D     |             Norway

Fix for the Modem2 port on TT & Mega STE

Post by Trevor Eaton Cord » Thu, 01 Apr 1993 18:26:55

Quote:>I've got it to work now (at least, I think). I uses XYZ202B instead of
>GemZmodem and everything has worked OK since then...

Since you guys are discussing hi-speed modem problems, I thought I'd throw
in a problem I've been having...

I'm using a TT w/TOS 3.01, ZyXEL 1496E (5.05), STalker 3.01, AUXINIT.PRG
and RS232ENC.PRG.

My problem is this: I start a download with STalker as an accessory, and then
run a TOS (GIFDCDTT.TTP for example) program.  After about 20 seconds or
so, the 'receiving data' light on my modem will go out.  When I exit from
the TOS program, the tranfer does not continue, it just hangs and I am
forced to abort.

I think I know why the xfer stops when I'm in a TOS program; once the 31kb
buffer set with AUXINIT.PRG is filled, the computer tells the modem to
stop sending data (is this the DSR or RTS?).  STalker can't do anything,
as it can only empty the buffer when the AES is active (right?).  But when
I exit the TOS program, shouldn't STalker empty the buffer and RS232ENC
tell the modem that it's ok to continue?

Also, should I be using Serial Patch instead of RS232ENC?  I've had no
other problems with RS232ENC, but experience some a long time ago when I
tried Serial Patch.

Any comments?  suggestions?  Thanks!

1. Fix for the Modem2 port on TT & Mega STE

[...]

2. Structures in ASM?

3. Fix: M-STE/TT/Falcon modem ports

4. Proud owner

5. FS: Video Cards for TT, Mega STe & Mega ST

6. Wich UPS...

7. LAN port on TT/Mega STe

8. How do I get the IIIx to wake up on an alarm?

9. Wtd: TT Memory & Mega STe SCSI Board (UK)

10. trade / FS - laptops for STE, mega STE or TT